The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#31141 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:41 pm

Had a very strange dream last night. In had to go to Kent to see someone, needed to book an overnight in the club as it was a long journey (now we are less than 2 hrs by train). The dial phone kept missing the numbers. Best bit, the number was 01 499 3456 which predated to 0207 numbers.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31142 Post by OFSO » Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:03 pm

Parallel universe, PN. I frequently visit my old place of work in my dreams, same work going on, same people but different buildings, someone said in my last dream "yes we planned to build three wings/blocks but funding only materialised for two.. "

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31143 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:15 am

Aviation Content

Just had an introduction to join a newly formed 747 club. No idea how this came about, but apparently a group has been formed to ensure that memories of The Queen of The Skies do not get forgotten. Presumably formed by existing, and past, BA pilots, I see that there is going to be an International section as well. Membership £10. p.a. consisting of £7.47 membership fee and a donation of £2.53 to what will be their eventual charitable foundation - whatever that will be. Go to www.the747club.com ...........

Quote .........To celebrate the launch of the club we are holding a summer party at the British Airways Rose Garden, Twickenham Stadium, on Saturday the 28th of August, tickets £65.

The party is open to members of The747Club and their guests, we look forward to seeing as many of you as possible. See attached flyer.

UK readers can call (0)7799 646383 for more info.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31144 Post by OFSO » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:47 am

Morning, comrades. 20° and a cold wind this morning. Second shots of Pfizer juice at 10:30 today, 22 days after first shots. Then we are free to travel without quarantine. Except to Hancock's Land of Fear and Doom, of course.

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31145 Post by EA01 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:01 am

Been wasting hours today looking at old holiday photos.....so easy to get lost in all those old memories... :)

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31146 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:11 am

Was that hard copy photographs?

Daughter has been trying to get me to digitise my collection of photographs.

My attitude is that physical copies will endure and be easier to access than digital records.

What standard will remain after many years? CD, DVD, hard drive, ? ? ?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31147 Post by OFSO » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:40 am

Correct. I have older computer files I can no longer read. However paper copies, if kept away from sunlight, last for ever, or at least they last as long as I will.

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31148 Post by handsfree » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:48 am

Good moaning to you all.
A bright sunny day here as befits a Summer morning.

Blood results just through and what a good boy Billy has been. I am now officially not anaemic any longer.
That's one less injection each week.

Welcome back 4mastacker. Hope you had a good time wherever you were. Perfect weather to get back to
your canal as well.

I'm off to water the garden but I think I'll forgo the glass of wine given that it is only 07:47. I know, I'm a wimp.
I shall wait for the Champagne with breakfast. :D :YMPARTY:

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31149 Post by Ibbie » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:57 am

Morning folks.

Usual weather here. 22c heading up to 30c today.

Mrs IB had, what should be, her last physio session yesterday. Sees rehabilitation consultant tomorrow.

Painters should finish all white wall painting today, then just a few security bars to paint green tomorrow.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31150 Post by Boac » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:01 am

G-CPTN wrote:What standard will remain after many years? CD, DVD, hard drive,
None. Only backed-up digital images will persist (as long as the back-up location is.................... :)) .)

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31151 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:30 am

Backing up to cloud is attractive and various organisations offer free storage. Organisations come and go. Free becomes chargeable. Unlimited suddenly gets limits.

Problem with hard copy is space, weight, and access requiring cataloguing. You can do that easily on a computer using cloud storage.

Aahhgh

I have around 500 celluloid negatives the are box camera stuff about 2x3 or so, they vary. Some are seemingly blank. Most have pencilled descriptions.

Using imagery software I can get very serviceable pictures from even a blank negative. I could process possibly 100 in a week working full time but it's not Work.

One thing I have found from the pics is that British Army barracks are set out using identical plans as in India in Malta and Barbados and no doubt many other places.

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31152 Post by EA01 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:57 am

We've transferred all these photos to a seperate 'box', plugged into computer.....guess should put them all on a 'stick' too, if something happens to 'puter. Lots of more recent ones on 'puter are also on phone...

Mrs Fliegs also found a company that you send your photos to, and with a bit of formatting (?) etc. they send you all the photos you have selected back in a hardcover book format.

Actually it is pretty good!, the books (essentially abbreviated photo albums) sit on the bookshelves in the bar / library, so are there at anytime to peruse...that is a lovely thing.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#31153 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:39 am

Morning folks, started dull but now nice and clear for I guess mid 20s. We are expecting CID around to issue us with subpoenas for a meeting with the prosecutor tomorrow and court Monday/Tuesday but haven't heard a thing. Wouldn't be surprised if it is delayed again and we have to change the hotel booking again.

A friend of ours has MS. Her holistic practitioner in Gabs is anti vaccine. He told her on no account she should be vaccinated. She has already had the first jab, second was today. This guy sent her all sorts of rubbish off the internet including an article that said the virus was invented by the pharmaceutical companies to make money. He probably believes in poison in con trails as well. She got into a tizz so I recommended that she speaks to our private GP (don't mention the war) she is very good. She actually said it probably wasn't a good idea for her to have the second jab. She is very vulnerable but has hardly any contact with people.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31154 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:54 am

Electronic copies vs Hard print pics: I feel pics on a device are much easier to see again as it is not always easy to find the right photo album or even bother to open it just for a quick look. And I still can see pics from my first digital camera bought in 2007 so no change in format since.

A heat wave is coming and I am looking forward to it.

Next time some one says about micro-chips on a vaccine I am going to insist to know what kind of battery the chip uses.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31155 Post by Wodrick » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:42 am

g'day,
guess 24 currently 25, cloudless.
My internet is like a whores draws, has been since 0115.
going to get any post.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31156 Post by 4mastacker » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:49 am

A day of gardening is on the main agenda...damn weeds don't take long to take-over when left to their own devices.

Hoping to get on me canal tomorrow to do a bit of boat driving now the drive shaft coupling has been fixed - we had a succession of shear pin failures and couldn't understand why until one of our number spotted a chunk of metal missing from the drive shaft coupling collar. A welding repair and a re-bore appears to have fixed the problem. Spares for 1936 SB&H Star-class boats aren't exactly available off the shelf in Halfords.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31157 Post by EA01 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:53 am

You still can't lick your elbow.......

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31158 Post by Pinky the pilot » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:49 am

Mrs Fliegs also found a company that you send your photos to, and with a bit of formatting (?) etc. they send you all the photos you have selected back in a hardcover book format.
Would you be so kind as to inform me of the name etc of this company Fliegs? Via pm will be fine! :-bd
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31159 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:53 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:54 am
Electronic copies vs Hard print pics: I feel pics on a device are much easier to see again as it is not always easy to find the right photo album or even bother to open it just for a quick look. And I still can see pics from my first digital camera bought in 2007 so no change in format since.
Software format is the easy bit; storage is the question. Floppies went years ago as did tape drives. How long did CDs last? DVD are now obsolete. Look at SD cards, from a stamp size piece of plastic they are down to fingernail size. Pen drives for USB ports are presently ubiquitous, but look at the range of USB connectors, at the last count at lease 5 not counting male/female as two.
I have a number of DVD and fortunately a USB Optical drive, as long as USB is supported and the drive recognised.
I see the time when a subscription cloud service is the only kid on the block. Subscription is the perfect business model.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#31160 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:01 pm

4 more squirrels executed. Amazing shooting. First shot kill every time. He got one very small youngster through the spine from 20m.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.