Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#19621 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:18 am

A smooth procedure HF with good results at the end

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19622 Post by OFSO » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:20 am

Could hear, or rather feel, the distant grumble as once again a thunderstorm beat up our friends in France on the other side of the Pyranees in the town of Argeles. Here, nothing. Bone dry. Like a tinderbox. Which means Any Day Real Soon.....

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19623 Post by Ibbie » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:48 am

Another shower of golf ball sized rain drops has just passed over heading east.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19624 Post by ian16th » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:11 am

G-CPTN wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:41 pm
I still have the Rollieflex camera.
A thing of beauty!

But is it anything other than a conversation piece today? Do you have a source of 120 film?

I once nearly bought a Rolliecord V. It was a choice between the Rollie and an Edixa. They were both about £75 in 1960. I bought the Edixa and I still have it. As a conversation piece! The shutter is buggered.
I also have 2 x Pentax MX bodies, a slew of lens and extension tubes et al. All rotting in a fitted Samsonite briefcase at the bottom of a cupboard.
In the digital era, I also have a Canon 'Bridge Camera' and a little Sony 'pocket' camera that I bought at an auction 'cos it was going so cheap.

But today, 99% of the time I simply use my phone!
Cynicism improves with age

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19625 Post by EA01 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:15 am

Rocker cover - warped ? Is that even possible ? Sump ? Dented driving over rocks ? Both seem highly unlikely.
They (Rocker covers) apparently develop a hairline crack after enough time. The notes mention 'Sump?', so not sure what that means, as far as I know she hasn't hit any high 'speed bumps', at an odd angle, and the car never traverses rocky roads...

It's an older car now, but immaculate inside and out. And I suppose after enough years major oil seals etc. need be replaced, even though it has regular oil changes. Cheaper than buying a new car, and it is still a joy to drive!

Will be heading out to Stanthorpe in the Queensland Granite belt at the end of the month, about 3 hours away, including a lovely drive up the Great Dividing range, so best have it all done by then.

Winery tours await! (We Love a good winery tour!)

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19626 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:04 am

Because all (including used) cars imported to Denmark are subject to a swingeing import duty, cars are extensively 'restored' when offered for resale.
Typically, cars for sale are viewed 'as received' with dealers negotiating with buyers as to how much restoration is needed.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#19627 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:51 am

Afternoon folks. Nice weather. Spent half the morning trying to get back £7,300 from Swiss Air. This has been going on since February. They have so far given us a refund of 1.85%. Told them that I couldn't even buy a box of their chocolates for that. Spoke to an absolute idiot in Johannesburg then a very helpful lady in Zurich. We have already lost all our dosh from SAA. We got back a bit from Olympic and 100% from Blue Star Ferries :-bd

Then started to wire back up windows that had to be opened for the painters. Our latest little trauma is bees who are trying to build a nest in our worm farm: viewtopic.php?p=242907#p242907 I see that they do not like the smell of mothballs but we don't want those in there. Any ideas? Undried Plum perhaps.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19628 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:54 am

I comes to something when you find yourself listening to a Mantovani TV special at 12:37 as the humidity hits 80 percent and the outside temp is touching 33 degrees Celsius as the old dog pants in syncopation with Mantovani. Nobody calling on the work telephone, just some tedious report to write and the whole world flaps and gasps like some wretched air stranded goldfish!

I wonder how nurse Ratched is these days?

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19629 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:03 pm

Soapy water will kill the bees, but won't do the worms any good.

Sounds like you need to start again with the worm farm. Anything aggressive you do to African bees will piss them off and the survivors will come after you with attitude.

Second thought: on looking at the picture, can you wrap gauze around the air-holes of the structure to stop the bees from coming and going? The ones outside will die off because they can't feed properly and the ones inside will die of dehydration as they need liquid water. Just an idea, not based on experience of such a situation.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19630 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:13 pm

Squirrels, bees and natives! Vacate the property and call in a napalm strike quarterising the earth and sterilising the soul. Similar to living on or next to a golf course in Surbiton where there is no life, no hope, no intelligence but, also, no irritating creepy crawlies or characters either to distract one from the ennui of existence!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#19631 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:21 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:03 pm
Soapy water will kill the bees, but won't do the worms any good.

Sounds like you need to start again with the worm farm. Anything aggressive you do to African bees will piss them off and the survivors will come after you with attitude.

Second thought: on looking at the picture, can you wrap gauze around the air-holes of the structure to stop the bees from coming and going? The ones outside will die off because they can't feed properly and the ones inside will die of dehydration as they need liquid water. Just an idea, not based on experience of such a situation.
Sorry UP, edited your name. Thank you we are along the lines of gauze. Trouble is trying to fit it with them there. I have chucked a shade netting box over it but they can work their way under. There is water in there, we water the scraps everyday as the worms need the moisture and this also produces the liquid fertilizer.

The problem with starting again is the worms. The original ones were smuggled in from S.A. Should however be able to dig them out and rehouse.

Think one of your solutions will work, or a combination. Sent SMS to the guy who designed and built it, he is a S.A. safari guide and understands these African bees. We spray nests but can't spray the worms.

Thank you GG. I would approach the Lebanese for some explosives but I think that they are clean out.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19632 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:28 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:21 pm
Thank you GG. I would approach the Lebanese for some explosives but I think that they are clean out.
Forgive my pyrotechnical approach. I am approaching lunchtime in the spirit that Douglas Adams had in his The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul! ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19633 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:37 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:28 pm

Forgive my pyrotechnical approach. I am approaching lunchtime in the spirit that Douglas Adams had in his The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul! ;)))
In the end, it was the Sunday afternoons he couldn't cope with, and that terrible listlessness which starts to set in at about 2:55, when you know that you've had all the baths you can usefully have that day, that however hard you stare at any given paragraph in the papers you will never actually read it, or use the revolutionary new pruning technique it describes, and that as you stare at the clock the hands will move relentlessly on to four o'clock, and you will enter the long dark teatime of the soul.
Just the continual, hissing rasping song of the cicadas, and the drums... the infernal drums and yellow sulphur sick hue of a humid sky ... =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19634 Post by EA01 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:11 pm

Because all (including used) cars imported to Denmark are subject to a swingeing import duty, cars are extensively 'restored' when offered for resale.
Typically, cars for sale are viewed 'as received' with dealers negotiating with buyers as to how much restoration is needed.
I'm a massive fan of Denmark!, here (oz) we pay huge taxes on everything....but not as high as Denmark. The difference is the Oz government give 100's of millions of our tax $ to Muslim countries that hate us, whereas Denmark give those taxes back to those who paid them, ensuring a dignified life for all....

But it's not surprising...we're a stupid Country on many levels... :-q

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19635 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:27 pm

EA01, well you know where you got it from. Export a load of convicts... It in the genes 😂

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19636 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:13 pm

EA01 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:11 pm
the Oz government give 100's of millions of our tax $ to Muslim countries that hate us, w

But it's not surprising...we're a stupid Country on many levels... :-q
Imagine how much more would they hate you if you didn't give 100's of millions of your tax $

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#19637 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:20 pm

Just had CID here. The court has given bail to two of our robbers. Armed robbery and GBH which holds a life sentence and they are given bail. This includes the one who badly beat up Mrs Ex-Ascot. Bail will be peanuts. They will leg it. They are holding the leader as he is an illegal immigrant which I told the village police two years ago but they said he had papers. Anyway, apparently here life is life. Coppers struggled with their vehicle to get back up the side of our house in the deep sand.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19638 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:25 pm

The day's obligatory cute animal story and aviation of a sort in the same video. It appears that not all bankers are wankers...

Ok, ok it is 4 years old but it is still worth watching.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19639 Post by OFSO » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:26 pm

Solution, or as it were, "solution" to dripping pool valve. Plastic food box fitted with hose outlet, 15mm plastic hose takes water through wall into next cellar which is unfloored (mountainside rocks at 40°). One drip every thirty seconds has no effect on mountain.
IMG_20200811_171856.jpg

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19640 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:40 pm

We moved here in 2018, couldn't find our good can opener, backup got progressively worse. Gave on last week, bought Mrs PN a new one. Now we have 3.

Why does the missing item turn up nano seconds after you replace it?

I have a theory, espoused when looking for toy bullets 70 years ago, still valid. If you drop something drop a second item and see where it lands. Pick both up.