The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Capetonian

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#14621 Post by Capetonian » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:58 am

Rather like the clever stunt in Apartheid days when oranges from ZA were marketed under the name Outspan, which is a South African word, but people happily bought the produce even when boycotting ZA goods, thinking they were from Spain.
All the best oranges were exported, and I remember going on a cargo ship in Table Bay Harbour with a girlfriend and when she saw the oranges being exported said she'd never seen oranges that size or colour before.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14622 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:26 am

Cape, we think the reverse applies with the EU, we get the crap.

Were the Oranges orange or green? At one time Cyprus would not import foreign fruit. To extend the supply they sold oranges and grape fruit while still green, tasted as good.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14623 Post by OFSO » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:32 am

I see a sixty year old deaf woman has rowed across the atlantic. Presumably hired a dinghy for the day in Bogner Regis and couldn't hear the cries of "you're going the wrong way !" from her family on shore.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14624 Post by Wodrick » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:54 am

Morning all,
clear, 18c, Paco's guess of 19 will be easily achievable.
Did Wodrick manage to escape from Trafico?
Most will not understand but You will.
I was You Tube videoed in Traffico, I knew I had all required, first stumble was a separate appointment was required for SM, I can cope with that and there is a year to do the change from today.

Second stumble was my Certificate of Residency. The web site clearly says a copy, and a copy I had, well two actually.
"Have you the original?" yes "I need to see the original" it is safe in Torrox. End of process, do not pass go, do not collect £200.
Drive home fuming.

Still Fuming, all the palaver to get an appointment again now and to find the form that SM has to complete to allow me to operate on her behalf.
All this paperwork.

Worth posting again.
Spanish red tape.
This is not an exaggeration.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14625 Post by Woody » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:42 pm

It could’ve been worse Wodders :D

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14626 Post by Wodrick » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:08 pm

Isn't it strange how incorrect rumours spread ?
SM was categorically told that a cruise liner with 7,000 souls on board was quarantined in Ma Lager port with two sick chinks on it.
Now there is no Cruise ship in Ma Lager.
The quarantined cruise ship is in Chittive Rome not Ma Lager.
It started it's cruise in Milan not Ma Lager.
But that Hairdresser was instilling great concern among his patrons.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14627 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:18 pm

Poorly written headline.
Fotis Dulos, charged with killing his estranged wife, dies after suicide attempt
Was the death because of the suicide attempt or by some other method? :-?

PP

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14628 Post by om15 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:23 pm

Still have raging toothache, I visited Olga on Tuesday hope that she would get her pliars out, but with the aid of a diagram drawn with a marker on a white board she showed me why I needed to endure the pain for another 4 weeks, it is becoming a bugger.

Pictures this afternoon, watched "1917", very good, our lads versus Les Boche, has put me in a jingoistic mood for the quiet celebration tonight, recommend if you have a chance to watch it.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14629 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:26 pm

Probably after a successful attempt. Shorter is they had said 'committed suicide.'

Capetonian

#14630 Post by Capetonian » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:34 pm

Were the Oranges orange or green?
A pallid sort of yellow/green shade. The orange oranges were exported.

Spanish Bureaucracy - that YouTube is spot on.

This is something I wrote when I lived in Spain :

SPANISH BUREAUCRACY

I went to the Police to advise my new address and renew my Spanish Residence Permit, which is only a formality. They didn't have the forms, so said they would 'phone me to let me know when they had them - very nice and helpful. I asked them if I could go to the Traffic Department and change the address on my driver's licence before I got it changed on the residence permit ... - 'yes, no problem, one thing has nothing to with another ...'. So off I went to the driving licence place where the guy told me that he couldn't do it until I had changed the address on the residence permit. When I told him that I had tried to do so, but they had run out of forms, he obviously didn't believe me, so I told him to ring the lady at the police station (I even had her name) and confirm it. Then he started explaining it all again and said 'perhaps you don't understand me properly .... ' which really put my back up and I told him that I did understand him perfectly, but that what he was telling me was different to what the police had told me. After a long argument which ensued because I refused to back down, and got him to call his boss, it turned out that technically I and the police were right, but by that time it was 2 o'clock and time to close for the day ..... In fact in Spain there is usually no right or wrong, but the person who holds out for longest wins, regardless of the facts (unlike bullfighting where the only variable is the length of time during which the bull is tortured before being killed by the brave matador in his poofter pants, or his merry men.)

Later I went to a supermarket, and wanted to pay for my purchases with a French VISA card. Because of the high incidence of fraud in Spain, it is standard practice when you pay by credit card, that they ask for some identity document -fair enough! So I showed her my Spanish residence permit, which has always been adequate before, even in the same supermarket. But this bird had a different idea, and couldn't understand why I had a non-Spanish credit card and a Spanish residence permit. Oh God, I thought, this is going to get difficult. So I told her that although I live in Spain my salary is paid in France which is why I use a French credit card. Then she said that only Spanish credit cards are valid in Spain. How do you argue against that type of ignorance? I thought the banks would be interested to hear her point of view on that one, and tried to explain to her that the VISA symbol on a credit card was an international symbol of recognition. Unfortunately while I was doing this, in order to reinforce my argument I showed her my other VISA cards - she saw the Spanish one and wanted to know why I didn't pay with that. My next tactical error was telling her (as this seemed the simplest solution) that I didn't have enough money in my Spanish account to cover it. This of course made her even more suspicious. Then, just as I expected her to call the Guardia Civil to arrest me, her shift replacement arrived. She handed the new girl my credit card and the slip for the purchases, the new girl ran the card through the machine, didn't even ask me for identity document, and that was that!

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14631 Post by OFSO » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:34 pm

Friends wanting their Spanish driving licences had to have endless appointments in Girona and on one occasion for something or other were told they had to go to Madrid.
In order for the monthly statements to be sent to my house (the bank already has the address) instead of my postbox I have had to visit the bank three times, provide copies of this and that including both passports and both our UK National Insurance numbers. Lady not there today so I left them on her desk at the bank. This, mark you, just for a change of address (residence).
No wonder property-owning foreigners who die never register the deaths in Spain. The authorities probably bring you back from beyond the grave to sign papers. The owners of the house next to us died years ago. Town Hall don't know, still send them letters.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14632 Post by ian16th » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:23 pm

Wodrick wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:08 pm
Isn't it strange how incorrect rumours spread ?
SM was categorically told that a cruise liner with 7,000 souls on board was quarantined in Ma Lager port with two sick chinks on it.
Now there is no Cruise ship in Ma Lager.
The quarantined cruise ship is in Chittive Rome not Ma Lager.
It started it's cruise in Milan not Ma Lager.
But that Hairdresser was instilling great concern among his patrons.
You've gotta be kidding!

I used to visit Milano quite frequently for business, I never saw any signs of a cruise port!
Milan on Map.jpg
Cynicism improves with age

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14633 Post by Wodrick » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:52 pm

Slip of the newspaper report, never even thought about it, silly old me.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14634 Post by OFSO » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:15 am

Good morning all. Mild and sunny up here. No ill effects from having left the EU, so far, or from last nights Guinness or early-this-morning to bed. Fewer people at the pub than expected and one of those was Scots, in mourning.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#14635 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:48 am

Morning folks. Sorry to hear about the toothache OM15 is is not very pleasant. Solution below. Blazing sunshine as usual.

'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14636 Post by om15 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:04 am

Olga advised me to press a packet of frozen peas to my jaw to relieve the pain, this is remarkable effective by the way, but rather inconvenient when going down to the pub or riding the motorbike.
Nice bright sunny day, walk planned, breath in the fresh non EU air this morning, takeaway vindaloo for tea.

Capetonian

#14637 Post by Capetonian » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:43 am

In footage from the “ceremony”, Katie Hopkins – a far-right commentator – can be seen smiling with Pieters in front of a screen bearing the words “Campaign to Unify the Nation Trophy.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 10606.html

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14638 Post by Pinky the pilot » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:55 am

Nearly 2015hrs CSuT here and it appears that the rain has finally stopped. Waikerie had 55mm over about 10 hours. Other areas of the Murray Mallee and mid to far north of the State had similar falls. All most welcome. However, now a danger of Downy Mildew in the Grapevines so the growers will be flat out spraying to counteract this.

Some flooding over at Port Lincoln on Eyre Peninsula was not so welcome though.

There was some TV footage of a few Farmers dancing in the rain with big grins on their faces. Unconfirmed reports of some 'Cockies' and "Blockies' (Farmers and Fruit Block owners) dancing naked in the rain. :))

Ok, I made that last bit up but the general sentiment is that it was a good event.

Temperatures now in the low to mid 20's.

Hope things are a bit cooler over your way now Alison.
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14639 Post by Alisoncc » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:09 am

Pinky the pilot wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:55 am
Hope things are a bit cooler over your way now Alison.
Real stinker today. 40degC by lunch, and stayed above 40 until 7:30pm. Now 10:00pm still well above 30degC. Forecast to stay above 30 all night. Being close to the water never had a need for air con, afternoon sea breezes cooled us off. Weird climate change, no sea breezes, just stays hot. Don't anticipate getting any sleep tonight.

Plus lots of fires breaking out again. Can smell the smoke and ash.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Capetonian

#14640 Post by Capetonian » Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:42 pm

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (23.7 KiB) Viewed 344 times
I refer to my earlier post ....14637 ... Hatey Kopkins.

https://www.news24.com/Video/SouthAfric ... d-20200131