The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Slasher

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#12161 Post by Slasher » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:56 am

I suspect the pelican B-17 squadron is back sah because of the decrease in Bat flight 109 compliment. The mission odds are much better.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12162 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:15 pm

I dropped off two old appliances at the waste depot this morning. Lovely drive down, bright sunshine and a few shrubs with their red leaves in amongst the bare white birches, very Canadian. As is common here, I ended up using all three transmission modes (2WD,4HI,4LO) several times each. The appliance section hadn't been gritted yet, and was an ice rink. I'd brought along some 2x4s to slide the appliances down, but with zero grip on the ground that wasn't going to work. The big fridge was first, on its side in the truck bed. By sliding it back to its balance point on the edge of the tailgate, then giving it a push and pull about its centre of gravity, I managed to get it to rotate off and land upright, whilst also ensuring I stayed clear and upright. Time: about 30 seconds. The range was going to be trickier, as it was upright already. I paused for thought. Two employees nearby finished the task they were on and ambled over to give me a hand. I wondered how the experts would solve the problem.
They threw it off.
We shoved it next to the fridge and spent about 25 seconds kicking all the burners and knobs that had smashed off next to it.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12163 Post by ian16th » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:28 pm

We have an old, non-functioning 2 door fridge, that works very well as a cupboard!
Cynicism improves with age

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#12164 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:22 pm

Slasher wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:56 am
I suspect the pelican B-17 squadron is back sah because of the decrease in Bat flight 109 compliment. The mission odds are much better.
I have never seen such a lazy Squadron Capt, 300 of them just sitting on the bank picking their noses (very big ones). 'er next door decided to to get some farm workers together to rescue the horse stuck in the mud opposite. They dragged it out now we have a dead horse on the bank. Stupid woman. Thunder in the distance but no action here,

Bat flight - 6, currently briefing for night sortie.

One has just slipped in the bathroom after a shower. Smashed one's head. No chance of brain injury it has to be present in the first case.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12165 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:45 pm

Bat Flight - Don't tell me they are planning on night flying in the dark ??!!

Or do they do what we used to - take off 30 minutes after sunset, do supersonic PIs at 20k, 30k and 45k, all in daylight, then a quick 10 minutes to land, all logged as 'Night'?

As my very experienced nav used to say, night flying is dangerous enough without doing it in the dark as well ;)))

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12166 Post by OFSO » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:55 pm

Typical north-east Spanish weather. Seven ack emma, sun thinking about making an appearance but bitterly cold out and not much better indoors. After lunch, far too hot to sit in the sun on the terrace. Five pee emma, sitting thinking about getting logs and pallet pieces in to light the stove before wife makes a lunge for the central heating switch.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#12167 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:01 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:45 pm
Bat Flight - Don't tell me they are planning on night flying in the dark ??!!

Or do they do what we used to - take off 30 minutes after sunset, do supersonic PIs at 20k, 30k and 45k, all in daylight, then a quick 10 minutes to land, all logged as 'Night'?

As my very experienced nav used to say, night flying is dangerous enough without doing it in the dark as well ;)))
Interesting concept Fox. So what did you do up there. Just read a book? We would drink tea. Our ceiling was however only 43 and .98. Don't want to put ripples on the tea.

A few drops of rain. Fingers crossed.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12168 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:18 pm

Tea not available; bloody poor cabin service all round, actually. Bananas would sometimes be offered for good behaviour. However, no ripples would have occurred thanks to the magic of fly-by-wire. Whilst flying the target runs, one would generally enjoy the sunset ( up to 4 times!), which is very pretty above 50k due to the curvature of the Earth being apparent. Occasionally, when flying with ex-fishhead navs or the dude with a degree in Fisheries, one would play Spot the Ship from the navigation lights they were displaying. On the fighter runs, I have to say that the inflight action movie was ridiculously speeded up, and the cabin crew kept interrupting with commands like "Port 20" and random messages like "It's a 140, crossing at 4 miles", whatever that meant. Following the plot was very difficult!

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12169 Post by 4mastacker » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:34 pm

Having a rest day from being bored to death in a jury waiting area.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12170 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:53 pm

If we took off in day, insisted on night flying starting at local position.

One year for a night astro navex the Station Nav Officer planned long route high up into the Norwegian Sea - in summer. Then he aced the Westabout deployment to Singapore.

From take off at Waddington he planned for two x 5hr legs with 2 hr turn round and 14 hours between legs. He neglected to coordinate operating hours 😀

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12171 Post by Alisoncc » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:27 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:22 pm
One has just slipped in the bathroom after a shower. Smashed one's head. No chance of brain injury it has to be present in the first case.
Trust you have recovered. Shakes you up a bit. More from the thought of what could have broken in the process if awkward fall. Never understand why idiot builders in rural Oz use shiny glazed tiles for shower floors, when special tiles with slight corrugations, known as non-slip, are readily available. I suppose wall tiles are cheaper. :-q
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12172 Post by Wodrick » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:41 pm

It's another Africa night.

I had a Henry induced fall recently, he pulled in the wrong direction and took me by surprise.
I went down hard on my Right shoulder and it still hurts. It matches the left one that I hurt in Myrtle Beach many years ago.
The bruising took weeks to go.
I hope you is ok on the morrow *ExA*
The bruising took three weeks to go.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12173 Post by Ibbie » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:55 pm

If such an accident had occured to me, I would have reached for the arnica cream, ex-A and Wodrick.

I shall be going out shortly to the local pizza emporium to purchase two of their finest.

A tropical for Mrs IB and either a salami or a bacon and egg one for myself.

First night it has felt like the onset of winter.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12174 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:30 pm

Alisoncc wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:27 pm
Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:22 pm
Trust you have recovered. Shakes you up a bit. More from the thought of what could have broken in the process if awkward fall. Never understand why idiot builders in rural Oz use shiny glazed tiles for shower floors, when special tiles with slight corrugations, known as non-slip, are readily available. I suppose wall tiles are cheaper. :-q
Commiserations Ex-A, I had a fall today too. As you go you just wish you could have chosen a better place - mine was in a wood.

Anyway, we stayed in an Italian hotel in Vicenza. It had just two notable features, a superb, cooked in the hotel croissants and the shiniest bathroom tiles. Contrary to out thoughts, these were non slip.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12175 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:39 pm

Commiserations too Ex-A. Just this morning as I was stepping out of the bath-tub and onto a small carpet, I decided to grab on a handle. It worked.

PN my sympathy too. I hope it is not too painful.

A very nice Lieutenant Commander explained me why the inlets of a Mirage 2000 are not directly attached to the fuselage. Being an instructor it helped a lot.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12176 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:52 pm

RiS: this article may interest you (and others). It is a historical look at how boundary layer control and other aspects of intake design have been realised with actual aircraft, including the Mirage 2000.
Lots of pics!
https://eprints.soton.ac.uk/46202/1/AIAA-26830-529.pdf

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12177 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:06 pm

RiS, it was embarrassing not painful, the dog, 18 months old is very well behaved but has all the instincts of her breed.

First bit, she will only run a little distance ahead and check back she will react to the whistle and return for a treat.

However instinct trumps training. Frozen ground, no wind, a wood, and plenty of something and there she was, gone. I had to break through dense foliage which fortunately was largely dead, and scale a five foot fence. Getting a foot over at my age was difficult.

Eventually she came in to sight, sat on command, and then I fell flat on my face.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12178 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:01 am

When flying was fun...

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12179 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:27 am

Ah, where the Labour Party went wrong.
They chose between David and Ed Miller Band, when they would have won hands down if they'd picked Steve Miller Band! ;)))

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12180 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:50 am

As my very experienced nav used to say, night flying is dangerous enough without doing it in the dark as well
Night flying. A few years ago I decided to renew my Night Flying Rating on the Cessna 182 that we use for Coastguard. Don't search at night, can't see what we are looking for, but if sent to a distant location can stay until almost dark and then fly home and so have to land officially "at night". Needed to fly three landings " at night", but NZ CAA accept 3 Touch and Goes, no need to stop and backtrack each time.

Agree with the navigators comments so ... looked up the official start of Evening Civil Twilight, when it isn't really dark, just getting dark, and started my take off about 2 minutes before the published time.

No traffic at our non-ATC airfield, and it was almost calm, so when airborne I flew a 180 back to finals on the reciprocal direction runway, touched down 1 minute after it was officially "night" and took off again, followed by another 180 to land on the departure runway, then a final 180 to land again before it had even got dark enough to need the runway lights, but I was "legal" again.

Never needed to use it and now my NZ Rec.Licence ( LSA in USA-speak ) doesn't allow night flying, so not a problem now.