The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#18641 Post by OFSO » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:51 am

Wodrick: one word - Revolut. While in the UK, this bank account and card was recommended to me by so many acquaintances, from average earners, to million-pounds-a-year-plus earners, to someone who inherited most of London and millions of acres everywhere else, and not to mention a member of our ON Fraternity - that I signed up for it. So far, so excellent.

Capetonian

#18642 Post by Capetonian » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:09 pm

Wodrick wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:30 am
Must make an effort tomorrow to get to the bank with it's attendant silliness to transfer savings to current.
Don't just know why I can't do this on line. With the useless NatWest I can do it with my phone.
I have accounts with several banks in 4 countries and all of them allow online or app transfers between accounts. International transfers are clumsy and expensive and for that there is Revolut as OFSO said. I've been a Revolut user for about 18 months, have used it in about 12 currencies, and am very happy with their service and the ease of use of the app and card.

You do need to be careful though. I transferred GBP to my wife's Revolut account when we were in South Africa. She converted it into SAR and wondered why she got about 20% of the amount she expected. Answers on a postcard!

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#18643 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:18 pm

Afternoon folks, Groundhog day. Blue sky, lagoon and pool. Bloody freezing this morning. OK sitting in the sun now. Solar system now 100% OK after 11 months. Bloody malaka would not listen to me. I said battery all along. Him botanist me pilot. The Captain is always right. Sod CRM.

Thanks for the clip Ricardian, watching it slow time on satellite internet. Never been to Gan, understand there were very few girlies based there. There was an old 10 Sqn story about a one hour turnaround where a chap managed to get his leg over a female pax.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18644 Post by Woody » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:28 pm

Him botanist me pilot. The Captain is always right. Sod CRM.
Pure coincidence that PaWoody’s favourite film The High and the Mighty is on tv :D
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Rossian
Capt
Capt

#18645 Post by Rossian » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:14 pm

Not only did he get his leg over - he got a dose of clap and that was how the tale came to light. On my last VC10 trip coming back from Mardet at Tengah I was joe'd to be O i/c Pax for the return. Made myself known to all the pax and found out where they were headed after arrival. There were several young mothers with small kids and few babies - not a problem, says Captain they'll be able to get a late train from Swindon towards London. We were asked to pick up some extra pax from Gan at the last minute - buggah. That means a o,dark oclock arrival. We'll need some rooms for mothers and babes at Brize. Not possible says captain. My protestations were to little avail until I asked to borrow an HF set and talked to Flight Watch and said I'll sort it out if you won't. Grump grump!! And I'll mention it in my trip report. Even grumpier. Young wives with small kids to be dumped with their baggage at Swindon statio at 0430 - not on!
When I went round the sleeping pax to let them know of the change plan I came to one seat row to find a young wife with SAC Bloggs from Gan engaged in Ugandan activities under a couple of blankets!! Oh well I did try. Funny old world innit?

The Ancient Mariner

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18646 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:27 pm

Today I received a parcel from a van conspicuously marked: DHL, part of Deutsche Post, By Appointment to HM the Queen express parcel carriers.

I understand her family background, but ferfuxake, didn't she used to have her own Royal Mail to do dat ting?

Does Frau Saxe-Coburg und Gotha, and her hubby Herr Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, really have to be so blatant in her/their Germanness to dump Royal Mail for the sausageside equivalent? :(

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18647 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:42 pm

I was once Joed as OIC Pax. Don't know how I did it but I managed a body swerve and avoided it.

I remember one horrible experience at that transit hotel at Brize. Early morning o'christ hundred call - get up, breakfast in 30 minutes, flight delayed 6 hours. The two and a half in the next bunk said I'm going to get up later.

Box on wall then ordered him to get up. They obviously sent all reception staff to a very expensive charm school.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18648 Post by om15 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:46 pm

Well, I feel lockdown is easing, yesterday I visited my local out in the sticks for the first pint for 3 months or so, no fuss, plenty of seating out side, lady serving wore gloves but no mask, accepted cash, not many there and easy to keep distances, had two pints of Palmers Gold, it was very nice, no apps, no smart phone, didn't have to give an address.
Annotation 2020-07-06 173427.png
I have had toothache for three months, I was able to see the lovely Olga this afternoon, diagnosed an abscess, we agreed to extract, Olga and her assistant were wearing space suits with a sort of welders face mask, the pliers came out, it took 20 MINUTES, by this time Olga had misted up and couldn't see anything, her assistant was frantically rummaging through the toolbox for pri bars and larger pliers, at last it came out. whew.

Best of all I had a proper haircut after that, prices have gone up, to pay for the safety equipment I suppose, I had to wear a face mask and have my temperature taken, but other than that it was fine.

Three accomplishments in two days.

Mole
FO
FO

#18649 Post by Mole » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:57 pm

Another vote for Revolut - very useful in Euroland and beyond.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18650 Post by ricardian » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:51 pm

Trip to Kirkwall today and an appointment with the podiatrist. First visit to town and first podiatrist appointment since the end of February. What a difference it makes to have well-trimmed feet! It felt just like walking on air. Well worth the ferry trip (2 hours each way) but such a pity that all the hostelries were firmly shut, even the restaurant in the hospital was closed. Managed to survive on a packet of crisps & a bar of chocolate.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18651 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:19 pm

ricardian wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:51 pm
Trip to Kirkwall today and an appointment with the podiatrist. First visit to town and first podiatrist appointment since the end of February. What a difference it makes to have well-trimmed feet! It felt just like walking on air. Well worth the ferry trip (2 hours each way) but such a pity that all the hostelries were firmly shut, even the restaurant in the hospital was closed. Managed to survive on a packet of crisps & a bar of chocolate.
No cans of lager? That must be really tough!

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18652 Post by OFSO » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:14 am

Violent wind blowing all night, I had to get out of bed and close the windows as curtains horizontal and hitting the bed.

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18653 Post by EA01 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:48 am

This afternoons flock of Rainbow Lorikeets have arrived en masse...squaking and chattering away

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#18654 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:19 am

Morning folks. Mammoth watering. What a difference to be able to get water from the lagoon with the big pump 600 L/min. That is nearly 100,000 litres each session just for the garden area. How much would that cost through a water meter in the UK?

And, especially for those reminiscing about the wonderful Gateway House at Brize, here you are, luxury.
Attachments
Gateway House.jpg
Gateway House.jpg (19.05 KiB) Viewed 269 times
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18655 Post by Ibbie » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:14 am

Morning folks.

Just breakfasting after Ed walking down by the castle this morning. Presently 24c and once again, as the lift operator at Grace Bros said, "Going Up".

Meeting with community administrator and vice president at the top of the hour.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18656 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:18 am

Ex-A,the cost in UK would be about 80% the cost of getting rid of it 😀

Sewage charge s are higher than water charges. When I filled my pool from empty I would get meter readings and submit these for a discount. With my garden irrigation system they compared seasonal variation. As my rain water rain into a stream that was also a discount.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18657 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:22 am

Ex-A, I remembered Gateway but couldn't remember if it was the Lyneham one. I think I stayed at Lyneham more than once. First time I have vague memories of Seco hutted complex.

I always wondered how Brize managed to stop transit officers exercising their honorary Mess membership rights.

One time I overnighted at the Club and prepared to travel to Brize for that night and departure the next day. Luckily I got the message that the flight was delayed 24 hours but I was welcome to stay at Gateway for the two nights. Difficult choice.

I had to double up with a Gp Capt for the second night in the Club.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18658 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:45 am

Gateway house has all the ambiance of a borstal or a halfway house for incorrigible alcoholics... =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18659 Post by Boac » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:47 am

a borstal or a halfway house for incorrigible alcoholics..
Honestly - I have only spent one night there, ever.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18660 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:59 am

Boac wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:47 am
a borstal or a halfway house for incorrigible alcoholics..
Honestly - I have only spent one night there, ever.
;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."