The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#6421 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:59 pm

RiS as Reddo says it is all HF. You and I both did it in our MBA studies Myers Briggs and all that *****. Supposed to understand the team you are working with. It is just that the airlines were about 20 years behind the 'drag curve' in understanding the significance on the flight deck.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6422 Post by om15 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:02 pm

Today is International Day of Happiness. That wasn't evident at the new roadworks in the one way system at Blandford this morning.

Misty attacked a massive crow on the bird table this afternoon, the crow flew off which only encourages her to worse things.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6423 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:06 pm

Bitten earlier by what I believed a wasp. Second one to appear in one day.

Ex-A I like the CRM aspect where everybody learns to get along with each other or that is my understanding. I should follow Redo's advice.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6424 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:58 pm

This evening, at 21:58z, the sun's declination passed from the Southern hemisphere to the Northern.

A non-trivial event for those of us who live in quite high Northern Latitudes as it denotes the transition from the winter to the summer half of the year. :-bd :YMPARTY:

Slasher

#6425 Post by Slasher » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:11 am

Morning. 'Tis 7.55 in the am here. A coldish and muggyish 23C in downtown Honkers.

Happy Vernal Equinoxium Day from yesterday and hope the Full Worm of the Supermoon brung fertility, erections and periods to all! :)

Smorning will be my last sim sit-in. After that there will be Q&A time with my mentorer wrt for procedural stuff that I need to ask. After lunchtime I'm to give four training briefings to a coupla boss instructors to demonstrate that I've slowed down my yacking rate. One instructor will pretend to be a dumb sh!t who doesn't know squat. A full critique of my briefing ability will be soon after, and whether or not I'll need further coaching and practice with said mentorer. The briefings of 30 mins each will be:

- Description of Flight Control Laws incl ELAC SEC and FAC
- A320 Anti Ice and Wing Deicing systems
- Airbus ILS and NPA procedures
- Loss of all AC emerg procedure

If I don't stuff any of today up I'll be bashing my first cadets while I'm under supervision tomorrow morning! :D

Fortunately there's no back of the clock sessions for destructors under training. That'll be later once I'm done belting cadets and progress to recurrent sim with fully rated pilots, but that's a few months away and dependent on how well I churn the kids out.

Just had brekky so back to me room for a nice glass of 'shine.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#6426 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:36 am

Thursday town day. Jungle bunny noise again. Started at 06.20. It seems to go in phases. Don't think that they live there they are just working the land.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6427 Post by Alisoncc » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:44 am

For those with a liking for stringed instruments, including guitars. Both are 1080p and brilliant full screen.

And pipes, including chanters.

Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6428 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:41 am

CRM ? Think I've already mentioned, if so sorry ?

Approached in JFK Customs by a PanAm skipper and crew, he asked if we were using the Monitored Approach system then being trialled by BEA. ( handling passed to PNF by PF up to that stage, when descending through the published minima. ) We said not, it was that other lot. He then went on to say that PanAm had used the system ever since the formation of the airline. Oh ? Really ? We've never heard that mentioned. Yes, he replied, pointing to his co-pilot. I fly, he monitors. QED

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6429 Post by Ibbie » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:54 am

Morning folks.

Sun and clouds on the Costa this morning. Quite a lot of rain was dumped on us in the early hours.

It's a Thursday and Mrs IB is running about readying herself for art.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6430 Post by Wodrick » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:00 am

Cold and crisp, million mile viz.

SM for mammogram soon.

Lady next door has just turned up with a puppy, probably about three months, it's a dead spit for Slinky, same colouration and markings.
It's uncanny.
One is in tears now. What do we do ?
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6431 Post by 1DC » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:19 am

What does Slinky's old mate think? If he likes the pup that is your answer, isn't it?

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6432 Post by Wodrick » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:22 am

I expect it is, SM won't be able to give it away that's sure. Best take it to the vet this afternoon to check for a chip etc.

It's too soon.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6433 Post by Ibbie » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:27 am

Sometimes these things are meant, Wodrick

Just about to head down to the paseo with Ed for a walk. He's been with us five weeks today. Really well settled.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6434 Post by Wodrick » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:47 am

I know, SM is already saying if we keep him we are calling him Henry, the cat that came with the house was Henry.

It's all down to Punto really.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6435 Post by OFSO » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:07 am

Wodrick, take the dog. No question. By the way Mrs OFSO is unexpectedly in geat demand painting dog portraits. Has three on the go right now. Can post a couple of snaps here if no objection from Alison to 'advertising'.

Slasher

#6436 Post by Slasher » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:28 am

Bugger. After the 4 briefing sessions today it's been determined that I'm still not up to the required specs with regards to verbal communication delivery, though my knowledge of the subjects I was told was beyond reproach. So I know my sh!t but am having some trouble imparting it to kids off the street.

With thanks to Fox3 and my mentor destructor the good news is I'm betterer than my initial briefings a few days ago. Tomorrow it's most of the day spent with the mentor at the facility to polish my briefing act up.

I tell ya man - briefing cadets and not rated crew is a bloody hard challenge to master for a bugger like me. I can't believe the huge difference.

Think I'll have a quiet room service dinner followed by a reflective moonshine, watch some telly then fukkorf to bed.

Edit: [humble] Fox3 and anyone else, if any further advice can be given please either post here or by PM. I admit I'm the student in this area and any extra pointers you feel could be useful to pass on would be gratefully accepted and appreciated. 😔 [/humble]

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6437 Post by Woody » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:47 am

Slasher as long as you haven’t gone down the Pawoody route, when flying with a newby. Push seat back as far as possible, take out copy of the Telegraph and say “ Right get on with it “ :ymdevil:
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Slasher

#6438 Post by Slasher » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:52 am

Problem is me classroom and pre-sim briefings of cadets Woody. My speeching capability in the box has yet to be ascertained. 🙄

reddo
Capt
Capt

#6439 Post by reddo » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:08 pm

It's a tough one. You've already been given some great tips about slowing down. I'm right in thinking you've stopped using Aussie colloquialisms? When I am with my non native English speaking crew, I have to make a conscious effort to slow down and to speak international English.

When I am transmitting, I take more pauses and make sure every thing is pronounced as clearly as possible. Rarely do ATC be a smart arse, when they do, I rapid fire the response and that sorts that.

Just remembered! Have you asked them to demo how they'd like it? If you don't know what they want, it's bloody hard to deliver it.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6440 Post by ian16th » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:27 pm

reddo wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:08 pm
When I am with my non native English speaking crew, I have to make a conscious effort to slow down and to speak international English.
In my case, I purposely spoke 'American', with my Teesside accent!

Definitely have to watch any colloquialisms and do not attempt any 'humour', it can go very wrong.
Cynicism improves with age