General Chit Chat
Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#6441 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:38 pm

Slasher wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:52 am
Problem is me classroom and pre-sim briefings of cadets Woody. My speeching capability in the box has yet to be ascertained. 🙄
Capt, my dear chap, Maybe a little bit more of the old hooch before briefings will slow you down. Any girlie cadets? Sitting one on your knee could also slow you down trying to concentrating on two things at once. Sorry, three things at once including the destructing.

Bit of a frustrating day in town. However did find a new mechanic for the motors who has agreed to take us on after we fell out with the 'help yourself to your costumer's cars when they are in your workshop'. The new chap is a Kiwi. Comes highly recommended but only usually deals with big stuff. We have a mutual friend and he has agreed to take on our small stuff.

Little bit of Cu but hit 39 today.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6442 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:52 pm

Slasher, PM sent.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6443 Post by Magnus » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:40 pm

I had 2 techniques for delivering talks. For all the technical stuff, I stuck close to my written script, as the students needed all the help they could get come exam time and I had to keep it as comprehensive and comprehensible as I could. For TUC speeches and similar, I'd read through the script as written a few times, then try to deliver it in a conversational way.

Worst ever was a lecture in a MSc course, where the expert was stuck in the US and I was drafted in at the last minute. "It's on CCD sensors, Magnus, you know all about them, and my lecture notes are in the red folder on my desk." "No problem". Then I tried to read his writing . . . .

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6444 Post by boing » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:18 pm

Slash,

If you can get videos of yourself it helps a lot. My Son had a "rushing" problem with job interviews. He went to a "presentation advisor" who showed him videos of mock interviews they had carried out, he immediately saw the problem for himself and with a few pointers he was on his way to new confidence.

I know your problem, I was great in an aircraft where the pace of everything was controlled by the machine but I rushed briefings. One thing I did was to force myself to make very precise drawings on the white-board which forced me to slow down and relax.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6445 Post by OFSO » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:37 pm

Installed and tested the remote switcher for the Spanish villa central heating which I designed and built this week. Instead of switching the supply to the heating itself, which means dealing with heavy currents, it switches the house thermostats on and off. Minimal voltage and currents and if switched at a time when the thermostat is off, no voltage or current to deal with. There's an override switch of course. Cost €29 for one vital component, everything else was in my scrapheap, sorry garage. Not only does it switch from the app on my phone, it also switches if I say "Hey Google, turn on/off the heating". No more asking the lovely Rachael to come up and turn me on. Sorry, not me, the CH.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6446 Post by 1DC » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:44 pm

Don't know if our boys are practicing for Brexit but the fast pointy things are very busy this afternoon!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6447 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:47 pm

I have a well designed and made table saw, but it is badged, assembled and the instructions written in China. One major error just discovered is that the blade replacement directions would have the blade installed the wrong way round. And all of the photos are so dark and poor you can't work it out from that. Nor is it marked on the machine any more. Fortunately I am used to them, and I took the old one off and placed it so the correctly installed direction was clear.
Trust no one!

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#6448 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:48 pm

OK at pubic speaking. Stick me in front of a thousand and I can entertain, amuse and keep them off the streets for 10 minutes but as far as educating them forget it. They may ask difficult questions at the end. Like is the world flat? I don't bloody know. Never fallen off the end of it though.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6449 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:53 pm

Don't know if our boys are practicing for Brexit but the fast pointy things are very busy this afternoon!

Ours? Or theirs? Or the other mob? No, not the Russkies, the Empire.

Or was it the Sparras practicing to do a flypast of the Berlaymont, together with precise release of blue ice, next Friday?

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6450 Post by Wodrick » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:16 pm

further to 6430,
we seem to have a puppy.
P1020368.JPG
P1020369.JPG
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#6451 Post by larsssnowpharter » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:20 pm

Captions Slash,

In a previous existence, I was what was called a 'Company Coach's where my job largely consisted of passing on skills sets to muddle and senior management. I do know and appreciate that speaking too quickly can be a barrier to communication and recall one guy who was really in a rush to get to the end of what he had to say.

I used two techniques to help him:

1. Breathing. Got him to breathe through his mouth and not is nose and to pause for a breath every 5 or 6 words. This had the advantage of opening his mouth more and allowing his voice to carry better as well as slowing him down.

2. We would practice outside with low ambient sound. I would stand about 10 paces away and he had to deliver his spiel.

In combination both seemed to help but he still hated public speaking.

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#6452 Post by larsssnowpharter » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:21 pm

Looks like a Springer pup. Gorgeous! Great examples of houndom.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6453 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:31 pm

Wodrick wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:16 pm
we seem to have a puppy.
Tony Draper would approve - he reckoned that the smell of a puppy was the best thing imaginable.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6454 Post by Woody » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:59 pm

Looks beautiful Wodrick :-bd , maybe we should start a pet rehoming thread.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6455 Post by OFSO » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:09 pm

Mrs OFSO's painting of friend's dog in London. Almost finished.
IMG_20190321_130635.jpg

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6456 Post by om15 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:51 pm

Nice pooch Wodrick, I wish our new family member would have a quiet kip.

Slash, part of my work in the last few years that I was contracting was to carry out 3-4 hour training sessions with groups of six or eight (once 34) engineers, the subjects being changes to the EASA Regulation, current audit findings and changes to procedures and expositions. You can imagine the boredom on both sides, in order to prevent them (and me) going to sleep I would hand round biscuits and boiled sweets, and in power-point shows throw in a few cartoons and jokes.

One of my contracted positions was as QM of a Part 147 Helicopter training organisation, part of the job was to ensure that training presentations were being presented correctly, I went down to Spain where a Bell course was underway, my first point of note was the half dozen students had no English whatsoever, the instructor had a very rich thick Scouse accent, and in order to lighten the strain he interjected a stream of extremely filthy jokes and anecdotes of life in the Royal Navy c1960 into the lessons. I had great difficulty in following any of it, but the thing was that they all got about 95% and I never found out how he managed that.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6457 Post by Wodrick » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:01 pm

*Slash* A few tips can be picked up here ;

The legendary Dave Bradbury
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

fin
Capt
Capt

#6458 Post by fin » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:10 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:38 pm
Slasher wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:52 am
Problem is me classroom and pre-sim briefings of cadets Woody. My speeching capability in the box has yet to be ascertained. 🙄
Capt, my dear chap, Maybe a little bit more of the old hooch before briefings will slow you down.
Somewhat along the lines I'd been thinking. Is there a + correlation between your ROS (Rate of speech) and your BAC?
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6459 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:19 pm

Nice addition in your family Wodrick. How are the first hour with the other household hound?

I do talk fast as well - often I break to a halt when I catch my self on how fast I speak!

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6460 Post by om15 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:34 pm

Wodrick, I love it when you post links to Dave Bradbury, it brings back memories of night stops that I can't remember!