General Chit Chat
Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#9441 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:14 am

sm_20190722_201614.jpg
sm_20190722_201614.jpg (195.56 KiB) Viewed 434 times
Finished concreting the gaps in the old barn foundation. Been at the job and others for 17 hours but finally done and tucking into beer and curry. Shuttering is amateur hour but it seems to be holding. No points for artistic impression or technical merit on this job, and the nearest member of the HSE is 2,000 miles away ;))) Took 300 lb of concrete to do all the gaps (this is just the main bit). I bought my own mixer which worked well, but this is my first go so we will just have to see how the work holds up; fingers crossed. I'll start framing the walls in a couple of days once it's hardened a bit and I have got a skim coat of mortar on to level it out.

lasernigel
Capt
Capt

#9442 Post by lasernigel » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:58 am

Just received an email from the Co-Op bank who are changing their security log in and use of the card. Problem is I don't have a UK phone number and the card was sent to my daughter's address as mail is not secure here. All my pensions and payments go into the account, send over by Western Union. Panicking big time now, also having problems getting funds out of my old US bank, they need a US phone number as well. Been going on for months banks seem to make life as awkward as possible. Rant over.
Sunny again today but had a lot of storms recently.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9443 Post by llondel » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:31 am

lasernigel wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:58 am
Just received an email from the Co-Op bank who are changing their security log in and use of the card. Problem is I don't have a UK phone number and the card was sent to my daughter's address as mail is not secure here. All my pensions and payments go into the account, send over by Western Union. Panicking big time now, also having problems getting funds out of my old US bank, they need a US phone number as well. Been going on for months banks seem to make life as awkward as possible. Rant over.
We have a similar problem with the Halifax, seems the only way they'll accept a change of address is to turn up in person at one of their branches with ID. No apparent way of doing it remotely with notaries or even a friendly local bank to verify identity. They'll know the old address is no longer valid because mail will have been returned as undeliverable.

I appreciate the need for security because they're protecting our money, but saying that the only option is to spend a fortune on a plane ticket is not really on.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9444 Post by OFSO » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:05 am

Nice bit of stonework. Bet it was relaxing doing it. Woke early here. Ants on my pillow. Would swap for hippos grunting outside....

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9445 Post by 4mastacker » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:56 am

Nice shuttering Fox - does the job. :-bd

Too bloody warm to lie in me pit. Pondering what to have for breakfast.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9446 Post by Ibbie » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:26 am

Morning.
Early morning thin cloud burning off. 23c at present heading upwards.

Failed by half a point to get in the cash prizes at quiz last night.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9447 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:03 am

We are with the coop. Know what you mean. Moved house, paid bill, needed card reader. Couldn't find it. Any card reader would do but neighbour never heard of one. Days later borrowed daughter's.

Paid bill, bank stopped it as it was £600 to tiler's wife. (Legit not VAT avoidance).

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9448 Post by handsfree » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:04 am

Morning all.
Usual Costa del Sol weather here. 18C looking towards 31C.
The nice breeze that we had yesterday that made things bearable has now dropped.
I'm actually looking forward to going to the Royal at lunchtime for my 4 hours of dialysis
in a nice air-conditioned room.

Ants are being a pain here as well. Got up this morning to a carpet of dead ants on the kitchen floor.

Nice wall Fox. What's the end result going to be ?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9449 Post by OFSO » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:39 am

Pool man came, removed top of filter, new gasket, replaced. Other than "hullo", "ok senyor ?" and "goodby" said nothing. Fitted a new pressure gauge not really necessary but to justify visit. This pool company is good. Start at 7am. Very large, see vans everywhere.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9450 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:04 am

It's the old back wall of a barn that was partly burned down in 1943 by a lightning strike, and was rebuilt eleven foot narrower with the remaining wood. It has numerous gaps at present, large and small, and the roof is shot. I am extending the barn back to its original foundation, so the new outside wall will be atop this. It also needs an entirely new roof, but 3/4 of the wall timbers and two main beams (one with the horses' names on) are fine. The final product will be sixty foot by thirty in 4 sections. I'll be making a proper second floor also, sixty foot by fourteen, by lifting the roofline a couple of feet. I'll do the new walls, then frame the new second floor to make a work platform, then strip off the old roof, then build the new. I need to get it done asap, as I think otherwise another winter with 20 foot of snow will flatten it. At least I have a/c now for when I duck back inside the house.

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9451 Post by handsfree » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:17 am

Wow Fox3, that's a project and a half if you're doing it all yourself.
Good luck to you.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9452 Post by Wodrick » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:43 am

Morning all,
Same this side of the bay, scattered cloud.

Punto is nil by mouth for a scan at 12.00. He is disgusted.
We continue to try to find why he is sick every morning without medication.
Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:04 am
It's the old back wall of a barn that was partly burned down in 1943 by a lightning strike, and was rebuilt eleven foot narrower with the remaining wood. It has numerous gaps at present, large and small, and the roof is shot. I am extending the barn back to its original foundation, so the new outside wall will be atop this. It also needs an entirely new roof, but 3/4 of the wall timbers and two main beams (one with the horses' names on) are fine. The final product will be sixty foot by thirty in 4 sections. I'll be making a proper second floor also, sixty foot by fourteen, by lifting the roofline a couple of feet. I'll do the new walls, then frame the new second floor to make a work platform, then strip off the old roof, then build the new. I need to get it done asap, as I think otherwise another winter with 20 foot of snow will flatten it. At least I have a/c now for when I duck back inside the house.
What you doing tomorrow *F3* ?

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9453 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:45 am

Main house needs the floor jacking up, new beams and posts. I'll take Wednesday afternoon off ;)))

This is what I do for a job. I do all the work, from designing to finish carpentry. Last month I replumbed the house, supply and waste, and fitted an electric immersion heater to replace the oil-fired one. It is no longer worth me getting a job, even in management, and paying someone else to do it. Until the end of this year, we still have no building inspections out here, and nobody bothers with permits for anything less than a main house. "And nobody tells the government nuthin'" as a lady said to me when I moved here. People still build their own houses out here, and it's generally better than the job the contractors do. My last house I designed and built entirely from bare land, barring the foundation which is cheaper to get a professional to pour, and it needed zero maintenance over 7 years.
And I enjoy it! Ask 4mastacker.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9454 Post by 4mastacker » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:57 am

Bloody hell!! You've got a job on there. I'll stick to me canal.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9455 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:06 am

I think you have the harder job. I just have to keep the water out, not in.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9456 Post by ian16th » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:19 am

lasernigel wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:58 am
At least phone them and ask to speak to an intelligent person.

If the person you speak to says 'it cannot be done', ask to speak to someone who can do it.

Skype will keep the cost of the call down to reasonable numbers.
Cynicism improves with age

Slasher

#9457 Post by Slasher » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:26 am

Skype Whatsapp Viber and Imo work pretty well.

My 2 new sim cadets are a total disaster! 😖

It's going to be a long tough job to disconnect them from the breast. They passed their aptitude and IQ tests for cadetery so they must have a brain between them in there somewhere.

What part of ATTITUDE + POWER = PERFORMANCE is so hard to grasp? I've known airport cats with more ability.

IMG_4114.JPG

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9458 Post by Ibbie » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:34 am

You can always obtain/subscribe for a UK phone number from Skype, which you can divert to your local phone for inbound calls.
I have a Manchester 061 number here in Spain.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#9459 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:34 am

Morning folks. Power cut overnight. For some odd reason which our solar supplier doesn't understand it crashed. It should not have done.

Huge problems with the mammoth watering today. Our chap was running backwards and forwards trying to keep the intake below water and weed free. He has asked for an extension to further out into the lagoon. The trouble is we have a sand bank and I think that this will only delay the inevitable. We are going to need a really long extension to get to the deep part of the lagoon. Not sure if the pump will cope with it, everyone's opening up boreholes including the farm next door. They haven't helped with the lagoon level given the amount they pump.

Yes Ibbie we have an Oxford phone number. Had a lady from Oxford inquire about a safari with us and asked if we could meet to discuss it. =)) We did get the booking though a £35,000 holiday for a family of four if I remember correctly. Our biggest ever. 2 weeks on safari and 1 week in the Seychelles.

Best you have a flask of moonshine in your pocket for sims Capt. Just thinking of your comment. Our new PM certainly has an attitude, he has the power but I do not think that it is going to result in performance. :-?
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Groundgripper
Capt
Capt

#9460 Post by Groundgripper » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:59 am

RIP Mr Kraft.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49082897

At least he saw the 50th anniversary.

GG