The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Slasher

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#6401 Post by Slasher » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:03 am

Morning. 7.50am in Honkers. Breezy with a muggyish 24C.

Just finished brekky which was scrambled eggs, lashings of bacon and some toast and coffee. I'll be ducking back upstairs for my relaxing glass of moonshine before heading off.

Instead of me working an extra day they're combining 2 sim sit-ins today as they want me on the line so to speak as they're short of a destructor with the old bugger gone.

Setting up the sim for the designated exercises is pretty much ok. What they want me to do is hone my briefing room briefings as I'm tending to speak too fast. This most likely is because of my lack of experience with raw cadets (up till now on the 320 I've only dealt with fully rated blokes). While waiting for the sim yesterday to get fixed I did a practice brief on Emergency Descent but my mentorer said I'm still going too fast and showed me techniques on slowing down and getting the message across more effectively. My lesson plans he said though were excellent.

Ap told me earlier smorning the local fires are out back home and the air getting much better. Me little bloke Andrew had to miss a day of school as he was coughing and barking a lot in the smoke.

Moonshine time! 🥃

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6402 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:25 am

Some techniques for fast talkers - forgive me if I am teaching you to suck eggs:
Break up the brief into phrases, then do a sub-audible count to three (One banana -Two banana-Three banana*) before the next phrase.
Intersperse checks of understanding more often during the briefing rather than leaving them to later. You will realise earlier if you are going too fast for them to absorb it.
Record yourself, then play it back.
Try briefing someone who isn't a pilot but is interested - one's partner is ideal. You will find you naturally slow down because you care more about them understanding**.
It is easier to start slow then speed up than it is to start fast and slow down. Start off on the over-slow side. It also helps build student confidence if they get the early stuff easily. This is reinforced by checks of understanding sprinkled in earlier which they are able to respond to accurately.

*Says Fox3WheresMyCrocodile ;)))

**There is an artist somewhere in the East of England who knows far more about Double Generator Failures on the Tornado than you might expect. Warning: there is a risk you will subsequently end up caring about your students :D

flynverted
Capt
Capt

#6403 Post by flynverted » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:52 am

2nd week back to work, 5 days a week on the road and living in hotels. Only place to get a feed tonight is a mexican joint across the road. Grub wasnt bad but they have great margaritas which works out ok because i'm out of shine til I get home...

Time for my heart meds then read a bit before bed.
Attachments
IMG_20190319_213739.jpg

Slasher

#6404 Post by Slasher » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:46 am

flynverted wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:52 am
Time for my heart meds then read a bit before bed.

Why in blue blazes you takin' all them tablets Fly??!

You only need one. Then you'll be fit as a Mallee bull! :)

Cheaper than those drugs you're on too!

Edit: will respond later Fox3 - I'm back in the sim in 4 mins. ⏱

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6405 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:29 am

Slasher wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:03 am
What they want me to do is hone my briefing room briefings as I'm tending to speak too fast.
Glad I am not the only one.

Fox3 useful ideas. Reddo well done. By the way is there any book available for general/introductory book on CRM?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6406 Post by OFSO » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:18 am

Me also. My conference presentations always last 2/3 the time I reckoned. Furriners sit there looking puzzled. Some good tips here on slowing down, thanks.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6407 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:37 am

reddo wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:32 pm
Today I found out I am going to be the newest CRM instructor. :D Yay
It seems 'no time' since you gained your command (and collected the new a/c).

Congratulations.

Tree planting today along the England/Scottish border (well, almost).
Might see some low-level aircraft combat activity.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6408 Post by Ibbie » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:20 am

Congrats reddo !

Some wetness falling from the sky. Fortunately Ed and I made it back from morning walk as it was starting.

Waiting for the cloud to push back on top of the mountains. Cooler today.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6409 Post by ian16th » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:30 am

G-CPTN wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:35 pm
ian16th wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:16 pm
Simulators?
In my day they were 'trainers'!
Ah the stupendous Link!
My service more or less started and ended with 'trainers'.

At Lindholme C.1954-5 I worked on the Gee-H and H2S trainers, was a gopher for the team that installed the NBS trainer and then at the very end of my time at Akrotiri, 1964, I helped install a French one for the wire guided ASM's that were to be fitted to the Canberra's. People were surprised that I had previous trainer experience.
Cynicism improves with age

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6410 Post by 4mastacker » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:33 am

I must be in Mrs 4ma's good books* - I have a day pass to go and play do some more work on the lock. We have another concrete pour next week so some prepping needs to be done.

* might be something to do with a bunch of flowers and some new bling.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#6411 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:53 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:29 am
Slasher wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:03 am
What they want me to do is hone my briefing room briefings as I'm tending to speak too fast.
Glad I am not the only one.

Fox3 useful ideas. Reddo well done. By the way is there any book available for general/introductory book on CRM?
Yep I wrote it. 'I have control you @rsehole, who taught you to fly, the son of a baboon? Of course we are cleared to land and it is the right airport. I am the captain so I am always correct'

That just about covers it. Just give me a buzz if you need any advice Reddo.

The old rusting boat docking system is being removed. It is usually under water but currently high and dry, as is the boat. The water pump intake on the end of the jetty has one foot of water under it and one foot above which is the absolute limit. It is going to have to be put further out in the lagoon - somehow!?

Having to run the genny for the angle grinder. Tried to also run the pool pump and washing machine at the same time. It said NO.

Standard weather.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Slasher

#6412 Post by Slasher » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:03 am

Fox3 thanks. Some of what you said my mentorer mentored as well. All my 4 briefings on the 2nd day were recorded. The main problem was speaking too fast for newbies to keep up with. The bit you mentioned though about practicing on non-pilots sounds an excellent idea. There's a real nice pretty young boner at the pub's reception area who I might brief about the ADIRS interaction with FMGS FD and FG and hope she doesn't get bored! ;)))

Reddo - I too share congrats and also acknowledge Ex-A's superior CRM skills. Don't forget to bring along the knuckledusters and baseball bat (a bloody heavy telephone book can replace the bat if necessary) to demonstrate the Conflict Resolution module. :)

Sim sessions over and just arrived back at the pub. After a quick wash it'll be downstairs for Ho Fun and then...my favorite part of the day...moonshine time! 🥃

Another day of sim sit-in tomorrow but only one session.

Capetonian

#6413 Post by Capetonian » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:38 pm

We're going to a wedding in a couple of weeks. In the process of packing SWMBO retrieves only my suit, worn three times since I bought it.
She selects suitable shirt to with suit.
Then asks me 'which tie are you going to wear'.
Me : "This one ....", producing the only tie I possess, with a flourish of pride.
SWMBO : "It doesn't go with the shirt."
Me : " Right, no effing tie then."

I should be out of hospital tomorrow.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6414 Post by Magnus » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:13 pm

G-CPTN, we were down in the Borders a few years back, heading for Clovenfords where we'd heard there was a nice pub, Aussie-run, with a good menu. Trundling gently along with the sunroof open when FERKNELL!! some of the low level combat activity took place about 300' above us. I nearly left skid marks, and not from the tyres.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#6415 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:08 pm

Just trying to have quiet sundowners on the veranda. Got some black spastics making jungle bunny noise about 2 km away. Inconsiderate f...ing uneducated morons. They should be drowned at birth unless their parents have an IQ of over 120.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6416 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:12 pm

Clovenfords is near the entrance to the Moffat Valley, which was a favourite wazzex for the mudmovers and so often on an E-W route. Normally the air defenders would hit the muds around Kelso, but big formations would mean a chasedown. Since the AD guys couldn't go supersonic overland, the back of the mud formation(s) would be caught around the Clovenfords area, hence the manoeuvring you saw. It was also where mud formations which were coming down on a N-S route from Jockland to Spadeadam/Otterburn ranges could be caught before they entered the range restricted zones.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6417 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:23 pm

OFSO wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:18 am
Me also. My conference presentations always last 2/3 the time I reckoned. Furriners sit there looking puzzled. Some good tips here on slowing down, thanks.
I have two talks (same topic) 20/40 minutes. However after one (a 40 talk delivered in a tin roofed hangar in a thunderstorm) my host mentioned a key fact I had not worked to, a lecture should be delivered at 100 words per minute.

I write my talks out in full as they serve as reminders in future. Now it is easy to get a word count.

reddo
Capt
Capt

#6418 Post by reddo » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:27 pm

Rwy In Sight - no need to buy anything, I'd head to Skybrary and search to your heart's content. There's lots of stuff there. CRM should really be called Human Factors. :)

Thanks every one, fortunately, my students will be my colleagues so not too much "new" stuff there. :D What will be new is that I will be the first presenter with an all civilian back ground and of course, female. :)
Yep, I am a fan of percussive persuasion but apparently that's not allowed in EASA land... :((

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6419 Post by ricardian » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:32 pm

A feisty 104-year-old lady has had her wish granted
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6420 Post by Wodrick » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:34 pm

percussive persuasion
Well you don't write it do you, re-racked or reseated something like that is OK 😉

The early 707s used to carry a six foot length of 4x2 in the fwd hold. "Number # reverser repositioned to Fwd thrust" was the Tech log entry,
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash