The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
fareastdriver
Snr FO
Snr FO

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#17781 Post by fareastdriver » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:25 pm

All helicopter pilots are eventually deaf in the right ear. This is because the noise comes in through the normally open cockpit window. Newbies can buy noise cancelling headphones that alleviate this problem but us old warriors are suffering.

The worst was the intake noise of the Puma HC1 before the funny intakes. Air Support Command Standards specifically banned the wearing of bonedomes on the dispersal in case we wouldn't hear a helicopter taxiing into us. The result was that over a couple of years all Puma pilots suffered hearing loss.

About ten years after I left the RAF there was a scheme were if your hearing had been compromised in the services you could claim compensation. I did this and choked about £1,500 out of them.

Still managed to pass my CAA, CASA and CAAC medicals though.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17782 Post by CharlieOneSix » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:54 pm

fareastdriver wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:25 pm
All helicopter pilots are eventually deaf in the right ear........
.....About ten years after I left the RAF there was a scheme were if your hearing had been compromised in the services you could claim compensation. I did this and choked about £1,500 out of them.
I'm deaf in both ears but my left one is the worst. Although my deafness was subsequently exacerbated by decades of flying helicopters, early on in my training I had a well documented incident of being almost totally deaf for a few days after prolonged exposure without any hearing protection to a Bren gun firing exercise on a minesweeper and that left me with tinnitus. When the scheme you mention became available I claimed and was awarded £3000 some 25 years after I left the RN!
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#17783 Post by jimtherev » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:44 pm

4mastacker wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:51 am
jimtherev wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:21 pm
................What I really was worried about was the complete de-commissioned train we've just acquired from Greater Anglia. Up-to-date coaches ready to run. If the sods had attacked them we would have been seriously fed up.
One for your Reverendship. Your new train, as you say is de-commissioned but ready-to-run. Please 'scuse the stupid question, how can that be? Is it simply it's no longer permitted to run on the national network because of some paperwork juggling/ or have some NR* mandatory parts been removed?

* NR = Network Rail, not the usual O-N definition.
Haven't even seen the damn things yet: we only took delivery on 16th April and one has been locked down ever since.
Hooever, these are 1973-constructed Mk III British Rail coaches which have been replaced by newly constructed stuff. (Not dissimilar from those which should have been delivered to UP's Scotrail but somehow got forgotten leaving them with coaching of a similar age.) IIRC, our 'new' stuff has controlled emission toilets but slam-closing doors, which are not acceptable on high speed stock. (We run at 15 mph, so that's all right.)

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17784 Post by llondel » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:58 am

It was about 38C at its peak here today.

Slowly working though the puppy waiting list, one of the hardest parts is having to tell people we don't have a puppy for them (list is about 5x the number of puppies).

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17785 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:19 am

llondel wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:58 am
It was about 38C at its peak here today.

Slowly working though the puppy waiting list, one of the hardest parts is having to tell people we don't have a puppy for them (list is about 5x the number of puppies).
How big are those puppy hounds?
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17786 Post by llondel » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:56 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:19 am

Biggest was about 6lb (2.7kg) this morning, smallest about half a pound under that. They're already bigger than a lot of chihuahuas (3-7lb range) and they're only four weeks old.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17787 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:02 am

llondel wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:56 am
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:19 am

Biggest was about 6lb (2.7kg) this morning, smallest about half a pound under that. They're already bigger than a lot of chihuahuas (3-7lb range) and they're only four weeks old.
The very truth and size of all that makes my day... which is dawning here...

You are a good and lucky man..
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17788 Post by llondel » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:29 am

Biggest this evening is up to 2.88kg, 6.3lb. At this point the total puppy mass is about half that of their mother. They'll be around 20lb each at 8 weeks when they're due to depart. It's sad to let them go but by that point it's well tempered by the sheer chaos of that many puppies and the attention they demand.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17789 Post by Pinky the pilot » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:05 am

Never found either of the Islanders (piston and turbine) too noisy.
How many hours you log in them Ex-Ascot?

I have just over 700 hrs TT in them, all logged in PNG and they were the noisest a/c I ever flew, not counting the Pa-25 Pawnee as a Glider Tug.

Have a 20% loss in the upper register in both ears!
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17790 Post by Ibbie » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:05 am

Morning all.

Usual blue sky and sun. Presently 20c.

Sausage butty for breakfast.

Lidl have hose ends on offer from today, for which I have a need for two.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17791 Post by OFSO » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:34 am

Grey again here in London and rain coming - maybe. Drifts of leaves everywhere. A few more days here, then gone. Hope new owner waters the back yard, even though not our concern.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17792 Post by Wodrick » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:28 am

Morning all,
Same, bit windy gusting 40 km/h but passing 21 now.

My Lidl was full of hose ends yesterday, those that they do with the rotary valve as opposed to the trigger are the doggies.

My Telephone provider is insisting we upgrade at no charge. New phones in transit.

Should find the future of the RAV later.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17793 Post by barkingmad » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:08 am

Wodrick, on my last expedition to the Emerald Isle I ended up with a crappy little Vauxhall hire car with which to navigate the tiny roads between Dublin and Cork in the pretty hills.
A couple of days into touring I drove over a rut in the tarmac’d road resulting in a very loud bang. Some miles later the little oilcan sign illuminated on the rev counter display. Stopped at roadside to inspect underneath the engine, expecting to see loads of engine oil dripping but the underside was as dry as a witch’s tit. The engine sounded happy so I proceeded with caution back to the night’s accommodation.
I then had to look up the display legend on the web when I got Wi-fi as hire cars never have the idiots’ guide included. It turned out to be a “you need an oil change in so-many miles” caption. Cue much relief and a blast of withering insults to whichever geek thought an oil service warning should resemble an oil pressure warning!
I hope yours is as easy and cheap a fix-I believe recip engines low on oil pressure generally make a noise due to the lack of oil film cushioning the bearings and the absence of such noise might be a good sign. :-w

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17794 Post by Wodrick » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:39 am

I do hope so, it's a good car that owes nothing, tyres, two batteries, brake pads and wiper blades, not bad for 16 years. We couldn't sell it in the UK before we left so we loaded it up and drove down, consciously intending to run it until the repair was not justified by the value.
If it needs a motor £1000 + that time has arrived. We will see.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

ribrash

#17795 Post by ribrash » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:57 am

Many years back I had a Morris Marina that was on its way out.If I drove round a bend a bit too smartish the oil light would come on and the big ends would clatter in protest.It was suggested that I took the bulb out,which I did. I was working for Shell Oils at Ellesmere Port at the time and was able to liberate a few pints of oil every few days.Despite my best efforts I could not kill off that beast.When I bought a new car the scrapman was able to drive it away instead of winching up onto the trailer. It was what the garages called a trader.It cost me £300 and lasted 2 years.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#17796 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:09 pm

Pinky the pilot wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:05 am
Never found either of the Islanders (piston and turbine) too noisy.
How many hours you log in them Ex-Ascot?

I have just over 700 hrs TT in them, all logged in PNG and they were the noisest a/c I ever flew, not counting the Pa-25 Pawnee as a Glider Tug.

Have a 20% loss in the upper register in both ears!
Morning folks. Pinky, just surprised myself I was going to say a couple of hundred on the BN2T and one on the piston. It was only a weekend fun flying thing. Checked log books 501 BN2T and 217 piston when I left the Royal Air Force. I stopped keeping a log book after a few years with the airline as I was so pissed off with it all so not entirely sure.

Town today, not too busy. The river looks really good. I calculate still mid month for it to get to us. 20 kms away and moving at 2.3 kms a day for the last couple of days.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17797 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:19 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:09 pm
The river looks really good. I calculate still mid month for it to get to us. 20 kms away and moving at 2.3 kms a day for the last couple of days.
he schlooped up a schloop of mud from the banks of the great grey-green, greasy Limpopo

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17798 Post by Alisoncc » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:30 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Checked log books 501 BN2T and 217 piston when I left the Royal Air Force.
Didn't know Aunty Betty's Flying Circus had BN2A's. Although it wouldn't surprise me. There were few aircraft that could handle the Kiunga/Ningerum mud fully loaded. I believe TPNG had the highest rain fall globally, with most it falling in the headlands of the Strickland River, where it flowed into the Fly. When Kennecott were doing the surveying for the Ok Tedi gold/copper mine, we were contracted to fly in the supplies. The kind of place where white shirt and shorts were worn for a few days and then thrown away and replaced.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17799 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:32 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:

Town today, not too busy. The river looks really good. I calculate still mid month for it to get to us. 20 kms away and moving at 2.3 kms a day for the last couple of days.
Good news then Ex-A.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17800 Post by ian16th » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:46 pm

Did a dry run today and removed my boot lid struts. They are both fine, so I cancelled my order for the expensive new ones.

Saved a bit, but must be more careful with my head.

The edge of the boot lid is sharp!
Scar.jpg
Scar.jpg (45.98 KiB) Viewed 152 times
Cynicism improves with age