The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#18581 Post by handsfree » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:54 am

Overcast once more with the possibility of some drizzle at times by the looks of things.
Warmer though; 17C at present with a top of 21C forecast.

The newly seeded lawn is coming on a treat with this mix of drizzle and relative warmth.
Odd thing is I can't remember sowing any weed seeds but there they are.

Two years ago today I was admitted to the Trent Cardiac Unit at the Nottingham City Hospital for
open heart surgery to replace an aortic valve. Tomorrow at 5pm there is to be a nationwide "clapping" to
thank the NHS for 72 years of service to the British public. I shall be clapping; grateful for the extra
life that it has given me.

A very Happy Birthday to the Higgs Boson. Finally detected on this day in 2012 at the LHC Cern. :YMPARTY:

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18582 Post by 4mastacker » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:02 am

Ah yes! I remember that day when you were the star appearance on the telly...all those lovely nurses in their......'scuse me a moment! Two years ago ?? Time flys by.

Having another go at weed cutting on me canal today, yesterday's test was fairly successful - need a bigger boat!
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18583 Post by Pinky the pilot » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:09 am

Commencing week 3 of recovery after hip replacement. Still a bit sore and on maximum doses of Panadeine Forte (500mg Paracetamol; 30mg Codeine phosphate hemihydrate). 2 tabs every 6 hours. Brings the pain down to bearable/ignorable levels.

The winter temperatures do not help. About 14C outside and the occasional light shower. :-q AFAIC, any temperatures below 25C should be banned! [-X

Have been urged by Medicos to continue to use crutches even when I can walk ok unaided as scans showed that due to my putting all my weight on my left leg prior to broken hip being discovered, I have a stress fracture in the left side of my hip! ~X(

The Medicos were most concerned about this and asked if I had pain there. When I told them that I did not, they poked around the area "feel any pain when I do that?"

After finding that there was no pain they walked out of my room scratching their heads and muttering to themselves.

The general concensus eventually was if there continued to be no pain the fracture would eventually heal itself but if I ever suddenly have pain in that area to get to the Doctors fast!!

Anyway, currently sipping on a rather nice Barossa Shiraz so all is well! :-bd

On another subject; Like the idea of the Spitfire doing flypasts mentioned a few posts back, which made me wonder if any fellow members of our esteemed site have ever had the pleasure of flying a Spitfire as PIC.

I'd give my left 'dangly bit' to fly one! :-bd
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18584 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:24 am

Happy 4th of July to those living under Mr. Trumps Presidency and a big thank you for most of their inputs in world politics even as recent as few years ago.

HF do an extra clap for the nurses who are over-worked and under valued in comparison to the doctors.
Pinky all the best for a fast recovery.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18585 Post by Magnus » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:30 am

All the best to the cousins for Independence Day. I really hope you can get a firm grip on this bloody virus and enjoy yourselves safely.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18586 Post by Wodrick » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:32 am

Morning all,
from promising blue to Sea Mist in a minute.
the temperature plummets. Fortunately it will burn off and a decent day will follow.

Provisions, Quali, takeaway perhaps, perfect day..

Great celebrations to the colonies.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18587 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:43 am

Alisoncc wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:47 am
Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:46 am
Two weeks ago got an appointment from Window company to fix patio door.
Reminds me of story of guy who got a text from SM at work early one Winters morning. "Help Windows frozen. Won't open". He replied "Pour some boiling water around the edges". Half hour later received reply "Laptop now emitting lots of smoke & a burning smell".
"I cleaned the Windows today dear, now the computer won't start."

" What did you do? Did you delete anything?"

"No, just soap and water."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18588 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:49 am

Grey, overcast, windy, predicted 20 degs. Temp supposedly 16 degs but I put on a thick fleece, picked up dog whistle and there she was at these front door.

Once in her favourite field, grass helpfully cut by the farmer yesterday, she was racing all over checking rabbit scents. Had to open my fleece, too hot. Only 35 minutes walk but enough for her, back home, breakfast and she has been fast asleep for a hour.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18589 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:53 am

..........to continue to use crutches even when I can walk ok unaided ........
Couple of years ago I needed crutches due to a cracked ankle. Was given a pair of elbow crutches in the usual grey colour, but the handles were shaped left and right. Murphy ensured that I always picked up the wrong one first, and had to manage a transfer left to right without losing my balance. Solved that. Bought a couple of coloured nail varnishes from the $2 shop ( nothing exotic ) Red and Green, and marked the handles Port and Starboard.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18590 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:04 am

ExSp33, which is why hearing aids are coloured red and blue 🤔

Obviously the originator though port and starboard as alien concepts in the central US States.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18591 Post by 1DC » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:05 am

Great joy in the manor today, Mrs 1DC is at the barbers. You would think she has won the lottery.
Haven't seen the yeller thing for four days now, hope it comes back.
Thats about it..

Capetonian

#18592 Post by Capetonian » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:07 am

When I had crutches after a broken ankle I had the same problem and I painted L and R onto them, but green and red is a far better solution.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18593 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:17 am

At chez TGG my better half is rushing around dusting things that don't need to be dusted and pursuing me doggedly with Henry the Hoover, all because her female Swedish friend is coming over for dinner and, most likely, stay here overnight, as they will sip of the grape in the form of a bottle of champagne most likely. Now while tis true that her friend is a sweet person and more than passing fair, she is utterly gorgeous truth be told, she talks incessantly and both ladies talk at each other and, curmudgeonly sod that I am, I start feeling like an inmate in bedlam. Where to go, what to do?
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18594 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:43 am

A bit more of Ops- Normal with some wise words added to the conversation if you don't want to leave the meeting.

Here is an etiquette question: in a situation like that what is the right thing to do for the gentleman co-hosting the dinner - stay in the conversation looking at the attractive guest discreetly or excuse himself and move to his man-shed?

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18595 Post by tango15 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:44 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:17 am
At chez TGG my better half is rushing around dusting things that don't need to be dusted and pursuing me doggedly with Henry the Hoover, all because her female Swedish friend is coming over for dinner and, most likely, stay here overnight, as they will sip of the grape in the form of a bottle of champagne most likely. Now while tis true that her friend is a sweet person and more than passing fair, she is utterly gorgeous truth be told, she talks incessantly and both ladies talk at each other and, curmudgeonly sod that I am, I start feeling like an inmate in bedlam. Where to go, what to do?
Could you precipitate for example, a water leak, or some other domestic mishap, which would require your immediate attention for an hour or two? :-)

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18596 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:08 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:43 am
A bit more of Ops- Normal with some wise words added to the conversation if you don't want to leave the meeting.

Here is an etiquette question: in a situation like that what is the right thing to do for the gentleman co-hosting the dinner - stay in the conversation looking at the attractive guest discreetly or excuse himself and move to his man-shed?
RiS I suspect I will remain a friendly but distant, and largely silent, figure at dinner. As for the "looking at the attractive guest" as the good book did not say "if thine eye causes thee to sin, then pluck it before your better half does!" :)

I shall keep tango15's wizard wheeze in my back pocket lest it all becomes too much for a mortal soul to bear...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

WE Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#18597 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:13 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:17 am
she talks incessantly and both ladies talk at each other
As teenagers we used to refer to such behaviour as 'knocking-off the coconuts'.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18598 Post by ian16th » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:13 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:04 am

Obviously the originator though port and starboard as alien concepts in the central US States.
To compound the problem, they use red for starboard!
Cynicism improves with age

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#18599 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:15 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:43 am

Morning folks. RiS after dinner it is British etiquette for the Ladies to retire to the drawing room, for coffee, leaving the gentlemen to enjoy cognac and cigars in the dining room. GG has not got a problem. Also etiquette dictates that the Gentlemen stand up and open the door for the Ladies. F... off is not required they, if civilised, should understand.

New solar battery is working a treat. Can see the ship from where I am sitting but we still haven't inspected the refit. Paint job looks good. We have asked the painter to do the house. I hate painting.

Mrs Ex-Ascot bitten on the foot by summat. Not an insect, she said it had teeth. No broken skin though. Mouse? Wasn't our teenager hippo, he seems to have adopted the safari camp up river. He has been marking his territory all over there including a dining table.
Attachments
Dinner.jpg
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18600 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:58 am

ian16th wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:13 am
Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:04 am

To compound the problem, they use red for starboard!
Actually maybe BLue for Larboard and Red for StaRboard 😁