Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#7161 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:44 am

Wodrick wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:56 pm
That will ensure
a year of cutting it
Don't cut it, simples.

Last house, loads of grass. I asked the RHS how to kill a particular weed. Answer, longer grass and in the orchard let it grow cutting only paths through until the autumn.

We had everything from snow drops, blue bells, daffodils, horse chestnut, dasies, plantains, and best of all orchids both common and spotted. When we left we had over 8 dozen of the common. Just hope that people who bought the house leave well alone.

New house, still larger lawn than we really wanted. Use the lawn mower on high cut (3) and it stayed green in last year's hot weather but still produced nor clippings than i could compost. This year trying 4 cut. So far so good, one cut didn't fill the collection bin.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7162 Post by om15 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:46 am

Scottish Maritime Museum has decided not to refer to ships as "she" due to sexist connotations.

Rain is holding off, very grey and muggy.

Slasher

#7163 Post by Slasher » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:35 am

Evening. 5.30pm here. Dunno what the wx is outside today as I don't care.

Having an absolutely great slothful time today staying in my hotel room doing absolutely bloody nothing useful for Hongkongian society. Just been lolling around in the cot watching in-house movies, taking the odd dump, relaxing in the bath, wolfing down room service and booze (the house red is quite good really), napping when I feel like it, talking to the wife n kid on 'sapp, finding out online what's going on in the world, and of course downing some 'shine.

No cadets, no touch trainer, no proc trainer, no briefings, no sim. One is reappreciating how precious a single day off can be!

I might have RS dinna soon while watching Skyjack on in-house video. After that my final glass of 'shine while preparing my duds for work tomorrow at sparrow flatulence.

Since it's been a hard day doing nothing I'll need a short quick nap before going to sleep tonight.

Slasher

#7164 Post by Slasher » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:37 am

om15 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:46 am
Scottish Maritime Museum has decided not to refer to ships as "she" due to sexist connotations.
I take it you'll be ignoring that PC nonsense mate? I know I would.

"Looks like SHE was a fine ship in her day Mr 15. Did SHE steam on many a high sea? SHE must've been a source of pride for all those who sailed on HER."

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#7165 Post by k3k3 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:39 am

Ex-First Sea Lord, Admiral Lord West, phoned in to the Radio 4 Today programme this morning in response to this and gave his robust opinion.

Slasher

#7166 Post by Slasher » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:52 am

OFSO wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:32 pm
What is "CE" ? Something stupid invented by idiots afraid to offend Muslims by mentioning Anno Dominae ?
Probably. Must be a weird Western PC thing. The Gulf ragheads refer to BC and AD in conversation without batting an eyelid.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7167 Post by Woody » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:01 am

Slasher wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:52 am
OFSO wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:32 pm
What is "CE" ? Something stupid invented by idiots afraid to offend Muslims by mentioning Anno Dominae ?
Probably. Must be a weird Western PC thing. The Gulf ragheads refer to BC and AD in conversation without batting an eyelid.
Not that new apparently.
Common Era or Current Era (CE)[1] is one of the notation systems for the world's most widely used calendar era. BCE (Before the Common Era or Before the Current Era) is the era before CE. BCE and CE are alternatives to the Dionysian BC and AD system respectively. The Dionysian era distinguishes eras using AD (anno Domini, "[the] year of [the] Lord")[2] and BC ("before Christ"). Since the two notation systems are numerically equivalent, "2019 CE" corresponds to "AD 2019" and "400 BCE" corresponds to "400 BC".[2][3][4][a] Both notations refer to the Gregorian calendar (and its predecessor, the Julian calendar). The year-numbering system utilized by the Gregorian calendar is used throughout the world today, and is an international standard for civil calendars.[5]

The expression has been traced back to 1615, when it first appeared in a book by Johannes Kepler as the Latin usage annus aerae nostrae vulgaris,[6][7] and to 1635 in English as "Vulgar Era". The term "Common Era" can be found in English as early as 1708,[8] and became more widely used in the mid-19th century by Jewish religious scholars.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7168 Post by om15 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:23 am

Slash, it is becoming a National Obsession, huge amounts of people drawing large salaries from the public purse dreaming up leftie rubbish to curtail the pleasures of the population, it is insidious, before long they will have criminalised this stupid notion.
The Scottish authorities are way ahead of the game with this, from stopping people with the most modest alcohol intake from driving, not for safety reasons but from a political desire to regulate everyone, to the named person scheme, all of it designed to subdue the populace, I shall continue to refer to boats as "she", particularly when visiting Scotland, I shall make a point of it.

Slasher

#7169 Post by Slasher » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:27 am

om15 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:23 am
I shall continue to refer to boats as "she", particularly when visiting Scotland, I shall make a point of it.
👍🏻

Also do the same when referring to the DC3.

Capetonian

#7170 Post by Capetonian » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:34 am

As will I, as I continue to refer to Rhodesia unless it's in a negative sense in which I will use the Z name.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7171 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:54 am

What shall we do with the drunken sailor
What shall we do with the drunken sailor early in the morning
Hey ho and up it rises
Hey ho and up it rises
Hey ho and up it rises early in the morning
What shall we do with the drunken sailor early in the morning
Throw it in the hull with the captain's offspring
Throw it in the hull with the captain's offspring
Throw it in the hull with the captain's offspring early in the morning
Hey ho and up it rises
Hey ho and up it rises
Hey ho and up it rises early in the morning
What shall…

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7172 Post by OFSO » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:35 pm

I also intend when visiting Scotland to refer to Scottish women as "she" no matter what their appearance.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7173 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:12 pm

OFSO wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:35 pm
I also intend when visiting Scotland to refer to Scottish women as "she" no matter what their appearance.
Be careful OFSO not all skirt wearers up there are ladies :-o

Our hotel room is freezing. Thought that the a/c was turned off for the winter. We have a shared veranda. A lady arrived today in the room next door and said try my remote controller. Our room is now 30°. She is Dutch and happy with freezing so we swapped controllers.

She is with a guided walking group. Their guide lost a screw and returned to Holland. It was suggested that we take over. No way, it is a budget package. They cannot afford us. Someone else has taken it on.

Raki time.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7174 Post by OFSO » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:51 pm

I don't intend to persue further and better particulars of "up there" as I believe that to be dangerous in Scotland.

reddo
Capt
Capt

#7175 Post by reddo » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:03 pm

Home now. Yes, the rain in Spain did fall mainly on the 'plane.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7176 Post by llondel » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:02 pm

Morning, all. Weather somewhat toasty here already, it hit 32C yesterday and this morning at 7am it was already up to 23C. Spent a pleasant half hour yesterday afternoon replacing the front brake pads on my wife's car. Just warned her to be careful with them until they bed in properly.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7177 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:13 pm

Slasher, I hope you get decent time off. I was concerned you would only move back in Thailand over the weekends. Ex-A it seems the warm days are around the corner.

The cold is still bothering me.

reddo
Capt
Capt

#7178 Post by reddo » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:35 pm

Oh and in other news, I got 10,000 hours flight time. Apologies for aviation content,

Slasher

#7179 Post by Slasher » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:31 pm

Morning. 6.15am here. 28C outside. The Ex-As would certainly find it comfortable at the same hour on Amorgos. Good wx for morning raki.

Downstairs at brekky. Coffee and toast only as I'm stacking on the kg. Jasper will arrive for his waiting job later this arvo with all me laundry laundering laundered. He does a bloody good job.

Not a bad work duty today - only a 2h sim sesh with the kids for reinforcement training. 1h prebrief on stuff they should already know anyway. If there're no screwups I should get out early.

Enjoyed Skyjacked last night. Good to see ol' Charlton again shoot the ANC GCA while avoiding a twin Beech in zero vis at the same time.

Brekky almost done. Upstairs for the morning 'shine and off to work.

I hear that "FEEL THE PAIN BABY!" finally got the arse a coupla day's ago. Now it's his turn to feel the damn pain! =))

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#7180 Post by jimtherev » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:34 pm

What shall we do with the drunken sailor?

Put him on a course of alcohol awareness,
Put him...

Give him twenty hours of community service
Give him...

Make him say he's very very sorry,
Early in the morning.
Fat chance - you'll never get him out of bed...