The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#25301 Post by Wodrick » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:20 am

The Dan Air Golf Society for a time had a membership deal at Didsbury Golf Course and I don't think I'm imagining it but there were photos in the clubhouse of the result of the sluices having been opened, they dated from the 1930s IIRC.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25302 Post by Wodrick » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:20 am

Boac wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:15 am
I need to visit the store of Tesco today as we have run out of whole 'peppercorns of colour' :))
An emergency then :)

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25303 Post by Boac » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:30 am

You don't know the half of it..... Peppercorns of colour MATTER!

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25304 Post by Wodrick » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:32 am

I assume to the other occupant not your good self.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25305 Post by Magnus » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:36 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:59 am

One of our lemon trees is bowing down under the weight of fruit. Just having it propped up.
As the saying might be paraphrased "If life gives you lemons, make limoncello". Actually, a restaurant we've visited a couple of times in Malcesine provides a chilled bottle of limoncello when you ask for the bill, so you can enjoy a shot or nine while figuring out what bus to get back to Garda.

Only major task today (apart from foot fettler) is to fix some edging strip above the kitchen cupboards. I don't have clamps long enough to hold it in place, so have ordered some grab adhesive. It's called "Sticks like Sh!t".

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25306 Post by Wodrick » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:53 am

The latest figures for Andalucia have just been released, I expect to be in Municipal lock tomorrow.

Groundgripper
Capt
Capt

#25307 Post by Groundgripper » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:01 am

some grab adhesive. It's called "Sticks like Sh!t".
I saw a builder' van round here a few years ago whose firm, according to the art work on the side and back, was called:

SHIFT A BRICK

with the 'F' hiding under the left top bar of the 'T'

I should have taken a photo at the time but I was in a hurry.

GG

Then again, it could have been a demolition or waste disposal company.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#25308 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:10 am

Mucho panic in the garden just now. My presence was requested. He was pointing to our pomegranate tree from about 50 m away. I went to investigate, much to his horror. I though that it was at least a black mamba. See below, I got within a foot of it and it was completely calm. Not that they can move very fast anyway. Definitely fully grown but not sure male or female. The female is the smaller of the two. The locals are terrified of them. I once stopped to lift one up from the middle of the road by the airport to put on the grass verge. A lady standing there nearly wet herself.
They are known to be related to witchcraft in many cultures around Africa. They believe it is being used by the witch doctors to send bad spirits to families because it changes the colour. People say that it could transform good luck to bad luck, or if it bites you, it can transform you from being a man to woman or the other way around. Zulu people believe that if it bites someone, they will have a wound that will never heal until they die. Some people also believe if it bites you, you will immediately start laughing to death. The Tsonga people say that if it bites you, you will automatically become infertile.
Attachments
Chameleon.jpg
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25309 Post by ian16th » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:12 am

Magnus wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:36 am
Ex-Ascot wrote:

One of our lemon trees is bowing down under the weight of fruit. Just having it propped up.
As the saying might be paraphrased "If life gives you lemons, make limoncello". Actually, a restaurant we've visited a couple of times in Malcesine provides a chilled bottle of limoncello when you ask for the bill, so you can enjoy a shot or nine while figuring out what bus to get back to Garda.

Only major task today (apart from foot fettler) is to fix some edging strip above the kitchen cupboards. I don't have clamps long enough to hold it in place, so have ordered some grab adhesive. It's called "Sticks like Sh!t".
I did make public on this forum my Brandy Sour recipe.

Essential ingredient, green sour lemons!
Cynicism improves with age

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25310 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:17 am

Magnus wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:36 am
Ex-Ascot wrote:

Ah to be on the sea facing deck at the Grand Hotel Riveria in Sorento right now, the balmy zephyr winds blowing off the Bay of Naples, a glass of limoncello to hand, as the warm sun gently beams down, and one dreams, playing idly with her fingers while looking into the dark tranquil pools of that buxom Italian girl's unfathomable eyes...

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#25311 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:26 am

Mrs Ex-Ascot makes limoncello. Trouble at the moment is sourcing the bottle of vodka to make it. Just heard that we may have a supply of black market scotch from Zim shortly. If someone is prepared to take the risk we are prepared to pay top prices.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25312 Post by handsfree » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:37 am

Bright and shiny this morning but cold and windy.

We had quite heavy rain during the night which has had the obvious effect on the Trent,
Derwent and Sour rivers. The usual houses in and around Shardlow are flooded once again.
My mate on the Narrow Boat has had to abandon ship this morning as the water is still rising
and if he leaves it much longer he'll be marooned on the boat with no way on or off. His
daughter lives not too far away so he's bunking up there.

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25313 Post by EA01 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:51 pm

They are known to be related to witchcraft in many cultures around Africa. They believe it is being used by the witch doctors to send bad spirits to families because it changes the colour. People say that it could transform good luck to bad luck, or if it bites you, it can transform you from being a man to woman or the other way around. Zulu people believe that if it bites someone, they will have a wound that will never heal until they die. Some people also believe if it bites you, you will immediately start laughing to death. The Tsonga people say that if it bites you, you will automatically become infertile.
Certainly if bit you can imagine the bacteria and parasites living within the oral cavity of a reptile of any sort....no...not for me...not even getting close...I used a high pressure garden hose to fend away a blue tongue lizard on Monday...think I got him / her out of my backyard to theirs...so something of a win...

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25314 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:01 pm

We escaped having any overnight snow here but elsewhere Gritty Gritty Bang Bang, Bear Chills, Gritly Come Dancing and their friends are hard at work right now......
gritters.JPG
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25315 Post by EA01 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:10 pm

Thought of your Bird App Ex-Ascot, my regulars are-

the Screeching Lorikeets - (this video they are very quiet and well behaved .. think of 60 plus!) ...but too many URLS for that...

The Butcher Birds -

The Magnificent Magpie.. -

We also regularly host Blue Faced Honey Eaters -

too many URLS again...

And not far from here out on the sand flats...

https://australian.museum/learn/animals ... rYQAvD_BwE

These birds fly from Siberia and Alaska to here & New Zealand, partially digesting their inner organs to garner enough energy to make the distance...incredible.....
Last week a 'Homing' pigeon was located in Melbourne, the tag ID related to Texas...'Bio Security Australia' stepped in and wanted to euthanise it straight away....what for I thought!?...we have Bar Tailed Godwits and others that migrate VAST distances from foreign lands.....and have done (Presumably) forever...???

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25316 Post by ricardian » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:12 pm

Today, Thursday 21 Jan 2021, is the 21st day of the 21st year of the 21st century.
Yet another piece of useless information to clog up the memory banks.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25317 Post by ricardian » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:17 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:38 am
Woders, do you mean a new bulb was duff?

As a kid, over the road we had one of those mysterious and scary shops, a Mr Cotterell, he sold and repaired bicycles, he would pump up my tyres, he charged those glass battery accumulators, he had carboys of sulphuric acid out the back together with acetylene for bike lamps. When you bought a light bulb he always tested it first.
He lived over the shop.
His son took me upstairs one day, then through a door and up a boarded stair to the attic. There was an array of 'secret' radio equipment. We thought he might be a German spy, this was about 1953.
He could have been a "voluntary interceptor" https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23162846.
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25318 Post by ricardian » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:26 pm

I was brought up in Derbyshire in the 1940s/1950s. Through the nearby town of New Mills ran a gorge which contained the River Goyt, fed by the River Sett into which all the upstream calico printing works dumped their surplus dyes and bleach. The gorge was full of multi-coloured water and stank of chlorine. Nowadays all the printing works have gone, the rivers are clean again and the gorge contains a pleasant walk including a Millenium Walkway over the river.
Here's the river and the Walkway as it was on Tuesday
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25319 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:29 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:10 am
Mucho panic in the garden just now. My presence was requested. He was pointing to our pomegranate tree from about 50 m away. I went to investigate, much to his horror. I though that it was at least a black mamba. See below, I got within a foot of it and it was completely calm. Not that they can move very fast anyway. Definitely fully grown but not sure male or female. The female is the smaller of the two. The locals are terrified of them. I once stopped to lift one up from the middle of the road by the airport to put on the grass verge. A lady standing there nearly wet herself.
We, a motley household of, three young male students and a girl, used to have a chameleon called Graham when I lived in Bognor Rd in Rosebank back in Cape Town. There was something strangely satisfying about watching his tongue slash out and pick some hapless fly from the ceiling, while lazing in the sun in the hammock, in lieu of studying, on the verandah on the second floor just opposite the local brothel. There was a lemon tree and a big apple tree in the backyard of the house and Graham lived there when he was not inside catching flies. We let him have the run off the house and we never incarcerated him. One day he just disappeared, as chameleons do, and we mourned and then, a few days later, after a very satisfying sunny afternoon playing put-put in Sea Point, in lieu of study, we arrived back home to find Bognor Rd blocked off as the firemen doused the blackened burned ruin of the bawdy house which had burned down in our absence, as the girls sat disconsolately surrounded by the black puddles. Moved to pity we purchased a large number of boxes of wine and invited the ladies over to drown their sorrows. It all soon turned into a party, and music and we all got insanely but happily drunk. Later at least 5 of the ladies stayed over, sleeping in the spare bedroom, two with at least two of us, one in the hammock and another on the sofa. The area never really recovered after that and the brothel was replaced by a brand new yuppy dwelling and soon we graduated, in lieu of parties and put-put. The girl got married and I ended up being conscripted into the army and none of us were ever as happy again as we were in the days of Graham!

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25320 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:46 pm

ricardian wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:17 pm
Pontius Navigator wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:38 am
Woders, do you mean a new bulb was duff?

As a kid, over the road we had one of those mysterious and scary shops, a Mr Cotterell, he sold and repaired bicycles, he would pump up my tyres, he charged those glass battery accumulators, he had carboys of sulphuric acid out the back together with acetylene for bike lamps. When you bought a light bulb he always tested it first.
He lived over the shop.
His son took me upstairs one day, then through a door and up a boarded stair to the attic. There was an array of 'secret' radio equipment. We thought he might be a German spy, this was about 1953.
He could have been a "voluntary interceptor" https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23162846.
Interesting, he was very old, at least in his 30s.