The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
ribrash

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#25361 Post by ribrash » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:09 am

OFSO wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:05 am
An amazing sight. Sky to the west black as night while we were in sun. Against the black sky hundreds of brightly-lit seagulls flying in a clockwise spiral. Why?

Later: now pouring with rain. Was that why?
When I worked at Shell the seagulls would climb on an upward spiral using the hot air from the process.At a certain height the would glide off were ever they wanted to go with out using much energy.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25362 Post by Wodrick » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:09 am

Morning all,
Same temperatures, gorra howling, gusting NWesterly hitting 60 km/h at times.

Been down to the madhouse that is the health centre handing in a swab for SM, then to the post.
Only three people in the queue, all Amazon returns. I'm a Mango return and in the wrong place.
Special pickup for Mango it seems.
Bet it's closed.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25363 Post by OFSO » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:43 am

Roses PO has the reputation for being staffed by miserable buggahs. But when I went in last Monday to post summit out of the ordinary, they couldn't have been nicer, charming young lady. Is there hope yet?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25364 Post by Boac » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:50 am

OFSO wrote:flying in a clockwise spiral. Why?
- northern hemisphere, geostrophic 'force' qv?

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25365 Post by handsfree » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:51 am

Against the black sky hundreds of brightly-lit seagulls flying in a clockwise spiral. Why?
They're obviously getting wound up

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#25366 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:10 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:06 am
Is UP selling off
One of the world’s rarest whiskies is examined before going under the hammer. The Macallan 1926 Fine and Rare 60 Year Old is expected to beat the world record price of £1.2 million when it is sold next month.
If you bought it would you drink it?
'Examine it' I would want to taste it for that price.

Supposed to be tipping it. Broken Cu. Solar system happy.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25367 Post by Pinky the pilot » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:07 pm

Had a somewhat busy afternoon assisting in the removal of unwanted goods from a local Charity store and taking the recyclable stuff to the local recyclers. Finally managed to shower, change and sit down in a comfortable lounge chair with a glass of a rather nice Pinot Noir Bubbly.

Had taken two sips when the next door Neighbour called in to say that one of our Cats was under their house and appeared to be ill. Went next door and found that to be the case. Managed to get underneath the house and had to drag it out! It was not well indeed, and my suspicion was a Brown Snake bite. :-q

A 40 minute drive, at times at somewhat of a speed that would be frowned upon by certain People, to the nearest Animal Hospital followed. It was indeed a snake bite, the culprit being the Australian Brown Snake which is one of the more deadlier snakes in this part of the world.

Thankfully, by the time I left to drive home, the situation was well in hand with the appropriate treatment being given and the much loved Cat (Smudges, is his name) appeared to be responding quite well. :-bd

This is the second time in as many years that one of our two cats has suffered the same problem. Thankfully it appears that Smudges will survive as did the other one (called Sammy) but I am now more than somewhat annoyed as we have never previously, in the 25 years that we have been living in this place, had a snake problem. ~X( I put it down to the fact that several of our Neighbours have allowed their 'gardens' to become nothing more than overgrown 'jungles.' X(

I am going to let a few days pass to allow me to cool off a bit, but then I intend to have a few diplomatic words with the aforementioned Neighbours re their overgrown patches. I should also mention that last Summer we actually found two Brown Snakes in our back yard. One was removed by the local Snake catcher at a cost of $50. I have no comment re the second! [-( (It is illegal to kill snakes here in South Australia)

After the second snake was discovered I spent quite some time checking the boundary fences and blocked any and all holes, gaps etc. However, it is somewhat of a difficult chore to keep some Cats from wandering arout a bit, although Sammy, who was bitten last year appears to have learned from his mistake and rarely if ever now leaves the property.

I can only hope that Smudges now does likewise.
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25368 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:16 pm

Nippon is a commercially available anticide that is extremely effective and self-dosing.
It is a mixture of a sweet syrup containing borax that is laid in puddles as feeding stations on glazed tiles or glass.
The ants 'feed' on the syrup and take it back to their nest where it is ingested by the colony with fatal results.
It can be manufactured locally (as it is probably unavailable in Botswana):-
Mix 1/2 C sugar, 1 1/2 Tbsp Borax, and 1.5 C warm water. The sugar attracts the ants, and they'll take the Borax with it back to their home.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25369 Post by ian16th » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:23 pm

Pinky the pilot wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:07 pm

Thankfully, by the time I left to drive home, the situation was well in hand with the appropriate treatment being given and the much loved Cat (Smudges, is his name) appeared to be responding quite well. :-bd
Pleased to hear that you seem to have got Smudges to the vet in time.
Cynicism improves with age

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25370 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:02 pm

Funny we have an urgent visit to the vet today. The day before yesterday I helped a friend to take her cat to the vet. The vet is across town I knew the area of the city but not too well so I used the GPS to the vet address. I parked a block away and walk the last meters waited for the consultation and drove back. The cat will be fine. However yesterday I got an ad on the Viber app about a cemetery for companion animals in my area.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25371 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:17 pm

West Coast of Scotland one of our dogs ate a jelly fish. She then emulated a fine lawn mower, up and down a beautiful grass sward on the edge of the beach and throwing up at the end of each strip.
We then asked where the nearest vet was. Inverness, which was 2 hours away, but we use the District Nurse.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25372 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:39 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:17 pm
West Coast of Scotland
We then asked where the nearest vet was. Inverness, which was 2 hours away.
We had just arrived and were consulting the tourist information when another visitor asked the same question and got the same reply.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25373 Post by OFSO » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:17 pm

The first ants appeared here yesterday on a bowl of chopped liver I put out for stray cats (continuing the feline theme.) This appearance is, needless to say, very early. (The ants, not the cats). Sweetie Pie devoured the liver with gusto, ants and all.

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25374 Post by EA01 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:33 pm

Hell Pinky....lucky!...Waaay back when I used to work in Hotels,..and after I left.... one of the Doormen saw a snake on the driveway....told everyone it was a 'harmless' tree snake...turned out to be an Eastern brown...

...Sure enough it bit him.....the hotel was close to the Hospital and a fellow porter who was from the country suggested it may have been a 'Brown'

Phil was in hospital for 3 weeks, when he did get back to work everyone thought he looked 10 years older,.....you don't f&*k with brown snakes....

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25375 Post by EA01 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:40 pm

A lovely evening had here for the Nieces 21st....

https://www.star.com.au/goldcoast/resta ... lsrc=aw.ds

The place is really a mega city of entertainment...if you have enough $$$$

It's also 'protected', needs some decent competition!

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25376 Post by 4mastacker » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:57 pm

Gorgeous day for a walk out so I decided to go via the the pharmacy to pick up me prescription. Walk completed and checked what I had picked up. Some items missing so a second trip to the pharmacy required....at least it's a nice day for that extra bit of exercise.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25377 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:24 pm

One walk exercise, second for a permitted activity.

Usual lunchtime crowd, two couples beyond hailing distance, mother and daughter with a puppy. We had to talk as our Scottie was making a fuss of them.

Second walk to post box. One man and his dog and post lady dishing out treats to both dogs.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25378 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:29 pm

It is time to be banned from the forum but one of the most memorial line I have for Australia is that it is the country with the largest variety of animal out there to kill you.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25379 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:49 pm

All the best to Smudges for a full recovery. :YMHUG:
One of his lives used up. o:-)

To everyone else:
Happy Groundhog Day
Blursday
Friday.
Take your pick. :YMPARTY:

PP

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#25380 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:05 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:16 pm
Nippon is a commercially available anticide that is extremely effective and self-dosing.
It is a mixture of a sweet syrup containing borax that is laid in puddles as feeding stations on glazed tiles or glass.
The ants 'feed' on the syrup and take it back to their nest where it is ingested by the colony with fatal results.
It can be manufactured locally (as it is probably unavailable in Botswana):-
Mix 1/2 C sugar, 1 1/2 Tbsp Borax, and 1.5 C warm water. The sugar attracts the ants, and they'll take the Borax with it back to their home.
Thank you CPTN. Yes I remember Nippon. We put borax on a banana plant which was covered in ants a few years ago. We will try your little concoction. We have a very good ant killing powder but you have to know where the nest is.

Wonderful weather all day. Not forecast and not requested. Hope it rains tonight but not showing much sign.

Good news about the moggie Pinky.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.