The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#25381 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:09 pm

We were in Studland last year. Never seen ant hills 7 feet high in UK. It looked like a black stream flowing down the hill. Through a stick in and watched the chaos.

Apparently you can also mix up colonies and watch the ensuing war between red and black.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25382 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:16 pm

Before I discovered Nippon I wasted much effort on attempting (unsuccessfully) to combat ants.

Obvious nest entrances in the garden were treated with petrol, even setting it alight - all to no avail.

Nippon (liquid) transfers the effort to the ants themselves as they strive to carry the stuff back into their nests where it has maximum effect.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25383 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:21 pm

As a young child we walked in the woods where there were huge heaps where the ants lived.
It was fascinating to watch the activities as they marched in file carrying loads that seemed way beyond their capability and formed bridges to permit their cohorts to walk over themselves.

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#25384 Post by larsssnowpharter » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:41 pm

Just back from a 2 hour hike in the country with the Black Bitch. Mulled wine being consumed. Stunning day out there. Clear skies, little wind and the occasional icy puddle. Saw 1 muntjack and, unusually, a barn owl doing a low level hunt along the side of a wood.

Didn't come within 500 yards of anyone and saw no Covid Marshall's.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25385 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:23 pm

Lars, our wild life today was a few tufts is rabbit fur and a bit of red stuff. From a tree on our nature trail a red kite launched itself amongst a great clatter and crash as it took flight.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25386 Post by Karearea » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:30 pm

Best wishes to Smudges, and confusion to all snakes.

I used to live where ants were a seasonal pest. My mother used to make the borax/sugar mixture; at times we would keep the sugar-bowl in the fridge, and the cake-tin elevated on something set in a dish of water to keep the little beggahs out.
There's rosemary, that's for remembrance. ...

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25387 Post by llondel » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:49 pm

Our senior dog, Tesla, is 8 today. As a result of acquiring her, we've done a whole load of things, and met all sorts of people, that we would never have done otherwise. Happy Birthday Tesla!
IMG_20200316_171522494-1024.jpg

ribrash

#25388 Post by ribrash » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:00 pm

Lovely dog.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25389 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:22 pm

Long live Tesla the dog! Cute and kind

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25390 Post by OFSO » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:40 am

Awake at 6am so up to make tea. Calm out, surprisingly. I see Scalzi's first book of the series in the background. Do I detect another sci-fi fan.....

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25391 Post by Pinky the pilot » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:03 am

Thanks to all well wishers for Smudges. :-bd A Vet called this morning and said that Smudges was doing extremely well, talking quite happily (meowing away) when Staff arrived in the early morning. The overnight Nursing staff kept a close eye on him and reported no problems. :-bd

Now just have to wait until he fully recovers, which going on the previous experience with Sammy, will take a few days.
you don't f&*k with brown snakes...
Quite correct Fliegs. The Eastern Brown, as it is correctly called, is apparently the second most venomous Snake in Australia, the most venomous being the incorrectly called Inland Taipan. It's correct name is the Small scaled Fierce Snake. The Aussie Outback (far NE SA and far SW Queensland) is full of them! Used to see them quite often when I worked on Seismic Survey Crew GSI 1847 back in the 80's. Used to see King Browns, otherwise known as the Mulga Snake, up that way as well. Surprisingly they are found down my way as well but never it seems in populated areas. Only in bushland...thank God!

Although I once had the bejaysus scared out of me and the Lady formerly called Mrs Pinky one time when we were trying to catch some fish in the Murray River which runs right through Waikerie. Spotted a King Brown coiled up only 2 metres away from where we had been sitting for nearly half an hour. :-ss :-o

We promptly decamped! Didn't catch any fish either. And I got snagged twice and lost two sets of sinkers and hooks! :-q
one of the most memorial line I have for Australia is that it is the country with the largest variety of animal out there to kill you.
A fair observation!
Long live Tesla the dog!
Seconded.
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#25392 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:16 am

Morning folks. Happies Tesla, great news Pinky. Blazing sunshine supposed to be the same tomorrow but raining again next week so that is OK. 30°C later. First suitable day for weeks to take the ship out but we have a vibration in the throttle quadrant. Chap supposed to come to look at it and water pump yesterday but didn't. I went to investigate this morning vibration gone. As soon as we get to sea it will start again. Planning an early cruise tomorrow. Trouble with this cracking weather at a weekend is that all the dry booze cruises will be up and down. I will stand at the bar on our ship and make sure that they see the beer. :YMPARTY: A few lunchtime bevies at the safari camp.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25393 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:31 am

llondel wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:49 pm
Our senior dog, Tesla, is 8 today. As a result of acquiring her, we've done a whole load of things, and met all sorts of people, that we would never have done otherwise. Happy Birthday Tesla!
IMG_20200316_171522494-1024.jpg
Happy birthday Tesla who I note is also a Roddy Doyle fan. ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25394 Post by Undried Plum » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:08 am

OAT -4°C. Nil wind. Rime icing conditions galore.

Proper porridge and marmalade on toast and a boiled egg from Henrietta for brekkies. A deep glass of proper milk, not the manufactured shite that they sell in supermarkets, to go with it.

I adore the picture of Tesla. With a Leonberger in my life I think I'd be happy to camp in this mortal life for as long as I've got. Memsahib, who does not like to be mentioned in any public forum such as this, thinks only of the fur removal from soft fabrics.

Until I came to this virtual locale I'd never heard of Leonbergers. Now I want one to own me. Not at all sure that House Dog (a Border Collie) would approve though. I think I'd better wait for the unthinkable should happen before I think further.

Wx-guessing computers declare that it's to be nice and clear today. Paved surfaces certain to be 'gey slippy' as we say in this pairt o' the quadrisphere, so my morning stumble will be along the riverbank.

I shall be going outside shortly. I may be some time.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25395 Post by Boac » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:36 am

I award the Daily Mail over-dramatisation award for 2021 to Calgary.ctvnews: https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/westjet-canc ... -1.5278617

Frank - we're gonna die.jpg
Frank - we're gonna die.jpg (65 KiB) Viewed 192 times

Shock horror - aircraft has fault that needs fixing

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25396 Post by Wodrick » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:44 am

If I read that right it was a fault in the monitoring system, surely not affecting airworthiness and therefore deferrable, but without more detail what do I know.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#25397 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:45 am

What is this 'guests' *****. They are paying 'passengers'. Do we now have a pre-take off 'guest' briefing.

One thinks that they are a bit jittery Wodders. Any excuse to not get it airborne. Don't blame them.

Forgot to mention that on Wednesday that glowing globe in the sky came right over the top of us heading to guys oop north. Good for our solar system as the panels are orientated to the north. Mid summer they should be a couple of degrees to the south. Wednesday they should have been flat of course.

Going t'pub. No cruise boats yet but it is going to happen and I am going to get annoyed. Hopefully in a couple of months they will move them back to town.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25398 Post by Boac » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:50 am

Woderick wrote:If I read that right it was a fault in the monitoring system, surely not affecting airworthiness and therefore deferrable, but without more detail what do I know.
Indeed, but without the latest Company notices/QRH/MEL who knows?

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25399 Post by Wodrick » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:54 am

Morning all,
11c guess 17c - as is usual unattainable at 1200'
wall to wall blue however, gusting 45 km/h.

Fire to clean, ash to loose, wood to restock, and chicken to cook - a full morning, dunno what the afternoon will bring.

Not likely to find the truth without one *BOAC* could be something like a fire loop fault, the engine run requirement is strange in this era too.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25400 Post by Ibbie » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:55 am

Morning all.

13c and almost a clear blue sky. Headed for 6c they say before close of play.

The high winds of last night have gorn on this side of the bay.