TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#12181 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:54 am

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:27 am
Ah, where the Labour Party went wrong.
They chose between David and Ed Miller Band, when they would have won hands down if they'd picked Steve Miller Band! ;)))
=))

:-bd
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Slasher

#12182 Post by Slasher » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:09 am

Sorry to hear you slipped arse over tit and donged yer noggin sah. Must’ve hurt a bit. Any lumps?

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12183 Post by llondel » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:25 am

Arrived home after dark this evening. The air quality is dire, the smoke was visible in the headlights and between me and any other source of nearby light. Bear in mind that the fires causing this are probably a hundred miles to the north. Ironically, I was up in Napa today, much closer to the fires, and the air quality there seemed way better.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#12184 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:42 am

Morning folks. No lasting damage from the fall last night. All my fault of course, so I am told. We usually use the safari bathroom outside. At this time of year you can't leave towels out there. I couldn't be bothered to take mine from the inside bathroom to the top of the garden so walk back dripping and dry off in the inside bathroom, thus wet feet, thus slip.

Thunderstorm last night produced just 1/2mm. It is starting to look promising. 8/8 cover and a little windy. The forecast is good for the whole rainy season now.

Interesting phone call from a security officer at a supermarket in town. He has found our stolen passports, Mrs Ex-Ascot's debit card and driving licence in a culvert. Obviously also one of my business cards. All cancelled of course but the driving licence will save us a few painful hours in the department of transport. Perfect English, sounded well educated. That will get him a few beer coupons. Means another visit to the coppers but we will see them in the village not town. They can report it to CID.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Capetonian

#12185 Post by Capetonian » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:47 am

That's good news! Reminds of when I had a bag stolen in Madrid. I went to the Thieves' Market ( Rastro) and bought the bag back the following weekend, plus sundry items that were in it, and got my documents back from the cops two weeks later.

ribrash

#12186 Post by ribrash » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:52 am

Leaving shortly to fish the next instalment of the winter league.Sunny day forecast but with an Easterly wind and a high of 5 C I do not expect it to be pleasant.Both handwarmers have been fired up.

Slasher

#12187 Post by Slasher » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:55 am

Good news about docs and card etc sah. I think that supermarket security bloke deserves a slab for the passports alone. So bloody messy applying for new ones while abroad.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12188 Post by 4mastacker » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:05 am

ribrash wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:52 am
Leaving shortly to fish the next instalment of the winter league.Sunny day forecast but with an Easterly wind and a high of 5 C I do not expect it to be pleasant.Both handwarmers have been fired up.

Along the Naaarfolk coast , the locals say if the wind's from the east, the fishings the least - been proved many times when all we've done is feed the crabs. :(
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12189 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:06 am

Good news Ex-A. Slasher I thought the passports were cancelled and applications for new one submitted.

About to take a look at the annual marathon few blocks from my place.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#12190 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:12 am

Capetonian wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:47 am
That's good news! Reminds of when I had a bag stolen in Madrid. I went to the Thieves' Market ( Rastro) and bought the bag back the following weekend, plus sundry items that were in it, and got my documents back from the cops two weeks later.
There is a place here in town that sells stolen goods. Didn't go there. I think that our camera was a bit up market for them. Heard of a lady buying her TV back from them. It is called Spiros but I think that the original Greek owner is long gone.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Slasher

#12191 Post by Slasher » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:14 am

Dunno RiS whether the application process for new passports can be cancelled after recovery of the ones stolen/lost, assuming not too much damage done by street drains or chewing by stray dogs or rats.

ribrash

#12192 Post by ribrash » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:18 am

4mastacker wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:05 am
ribrash wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:52 am

Along the Naaarfolk coast , the locals say if the wind's from the east, the fishings the least - been proved many times when all we've done is feed the crabs. :(
We only have to catch 2 fish,a flat and a round and measure them.If I manage that I'm going back to wait in the car till the match is over. :-bd

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12193 Post by Wodrick » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:19 am

Morning all,
Cold 'n Cloudy, just 15 from an overnight low of 12.
Big gusts too a local amateur wx station has recorded 133km/hr at 0849.
Gusts still around 100km/hr.
Must get a wx station and join in. Been saying that all summer.

Procrastinating yesterday but must go and get the planchas and grill out of the oven pride bag and clean them ready for the ritual.
It'll be floors today. Dogs and White floors do not go. At least it's tiles not carpet.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#12194 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:30 am

Slasher wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:14 am
Dunno RiS whether the application process for new passports can be cancelled after recovery of the ones stolen/lost, assuming not too much damage done by street drains or chewing by stray dogs or rats.
We left it a few days before cancelling passports hoping they would be found in the bush here. We now have new. It is two months since the robbery and we can't even fly into the bush without passports. Yep, the security chap will get a couple of day's pay for his efforts. Do not understand why they took them to town to ditch. Maybe had a bash with the debit card in the ATM, they had the PIN number in a note book but we cancelled that PDQ. Perhaps they were trying to sell the passports.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12195 Post by Ibbie » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:37 am

I can confirm tis very windy today. Leccy meter covers have been blowing down the road having been loosed from several casas.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12196 Post by OFSO » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:16 am

A nasty chill nagging wind here also. Lots of pieces of paint in our front yard. About three or four years ago idiot painters painted tiles topping the street wall of the Russian house next door. All flaking off. They don't care and frankly I don't give a damn, either.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12197 Post by OFSO » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:20 am

Last week I bought a Mi Fitness band, mainly because it relays info from my phone which I never take out of my pocket when in London. To my surprise a weather alert popped up on it today for strong winds. Said alert not appearing on phone.

Slasher

#12198 Post by Slasher » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:24 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:30 am
It is two months since the robbery
Gawd strewth you’re right Sah! Feels like it was only a couple of weeks ago. Am indeed gettin’ old.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12199 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:57 am

Just back from the Remembrance Service, well done by the Archdeacon. Interesting variation. We started at 10.30, all trooped outside to the memorial, church struck 11 and wreaths laid. Son in Law laid wreath for Twittering, grandson laid one for Stamford school on his CCF uniform and granddaughter took in Guides standard.

At my previous services the vicar was so airey fairey he hit the 11am 10 minutes early.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12200 Post by 1DC » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:16 pm

Boris was ,by far, the scruffiest man on parade at the Cenotaphe this morning. He certainly let himself down, didn't even remember to pick up the order of service.