The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#17821 Post by Woody » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:12 am

Morning everyone, temperature dropped by 12C since Wednesday, might have to dig out the long johns from the back of the wardrobe :-o
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17822 Post by Wodrick » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:20 am

Morning all,

Same and 23c now.

SM had a telephone appointment with La Medica this morning, no time given just will ring.
Rang at 08.30, should have told then SM does not do 08.30.

My telephone contract provider has insisted that we upgrade, two new phones being delivered today.

I await further RAV news, Low oil pressure was confirmed yesterday.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17823 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:34 am

Wodrick wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:20 am

My telephone contract provider has insisted that we upgrade, two new phones being delivered today.
I prefer to ask for the lower monthly fee rather a mobile upgrade.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#17824 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:39 am

Morning folks. Cloudy! The inbound flood has not slowed down. 2.4 kms in the last 24 hrs. Still looking at next weekend. Just had the estimate for Squiffy Pussy III's refit. Oo, er, missus and that is not including the engine. Has to be done. She is about 12 years old and not much spent on her so far. Get (ting some dosh from the UK. Good exchange rate at the mo.

The BN2T (G-WOTG) and BN2A (G-DIVE) belonged to the RAFPA or the holding company whatever it was called. There was also a BN2T at NHT. The role was classified. I see that they now have 6 in a 'patrol' role.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17825 Post by Boac » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:17 am

It appears she has in fact had 'Islanders' of one sort or another for a while (possibly since 1989 - the AL Mk1 with the brown jobs replacing the Beaver) and that the RAF has now 'snatched' them from dem Pongos: From Wiki:

"United Kingdom

In January 2004, the British Army placed an urgent order for four BN-2T-4S Defender 4000 aircraft designated the AL Mk 1 for ISTAR missions in Iraq. The Defender was to be configured similar to the Army Islander AL Mk 1 and Defenders in use with Hampshire Constabulary and Greater Manchester Police. In October 2004, the first aircraft was delivered to No. 1 Flight AAC and deployed to Iraq that month. The final Mk 1 was delivered in September 2006 to No. 651 Squadron AAC which had been reformed to operate the Defender. The Mk 1 was fitted with a Wescam MX-15 Electro-Optical Infrared (EO/IR) turret under the nose, cabin-mounted cameras, COMINT and C2 equipment. During the fleet's bi-annual return to the UK for in-depth servicing new ISTAR equipment was fitted.

A second order was placed for four fully re-designed aircraft designated the Mk 2 and a trainer. In September 2008, the first Mk 2 aircraft and also one Mk 1 upgraded to Mk 2 standard were delivered. The Mk 2 was fitted with TCAS, EGPWS, improved DAS, improved avionics suite and had ISTAR equipment enhancements. The Mk 2 had a longer endurance to the Mk 1 being able to carry more fuel and was also able to operate at a lower height. The training variant was also delivered in September 2008 designated the T Mk 3. The final Mk 2 aircraft was to be delivered by 2012 together with the three Mk 1s upgraded to Mk 2 standard.

In June 2009, the Defender's deployment to Iraq ended with 651 Squadron serving continuously since October 2004 in which time it had provided over 8,000 hours in support of UK Forces. In January to February 2010, the Defender was trialled in the Middle East with a Counter-IED capability for potential use in Afghanistan. Defenders deployed to Afghanistan from November 2010 through to 2012. In 2012, Defenders flew daily missions prior to and during the London 2012 Summer Olympics.

In April 2019, the Defender was transferred from the Army to the Royal Air Force with No. 1 Group. The aircraft was re-designated from AL2 (prefix AL for Army liaison) to R2 (prefix R for Reconnaissance)."

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17826 Post by Magnus » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:12 pm

MrsP has gone off to M&S for some shopping. I was left strict instructions to replant one of the garden planters on pain of pain. Dilemma. The Gods are piddling in this area just now. Do I risk getting very soggy, or do I risk a bollocking? I may think on it over a beer while I watch the washing getting wet on the line.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17827 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:17 pm

Magnus wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:12 pm
over a beer while I watch the washing getting wet on the line.
That would seem to be a dangerous strategy - unless the washing was already wet before you noticed.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17828 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:21 pm

Boac wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:17 am
It appears she has in fact had 'Islanders' of one sort or another for a while (possibly since 1989 - the AL Mk1 with the brown jobs replacing the Beaver) and that the RAF has now 'snatched' them from dem Pongos: From Wiki:

"United Kingdom

In January 2004, the British Army placed an urgent order for four BN-2T-4S Defender 4000 aircraft designated the AL Mk 1 for ISTAR missions in Iraq. The Defender was to be configured similar to the Army Islander AL Mk 1 and Defenders in use with Hampshire Constabulary and Greater Manchester Police. In October 2004, the first aircraft was delivered to No. 1 Flight AAC and deployed to Iraq that month. The final Mk 1 was delivered in September 2006 to No. 651 Squadron AAC which had been reformed to operate the Defender. The Mk 1 was fitted with a Wescam MX-15 Electro-Optical Infrared (EO/IR) turret under the nose, cabin-mounted cameras, COMINT and C2 equipment. During the fleet's bi-annual return to the UK for in-depth servicing new ISTAR equipment was fitted.

A second order was placed for four fully re-designed aircraft designated the Mk 2 and a trainer. In September 2008, the first Mk 2 aircraft and also one Mk 1 upgraded to Mk 2 standard were delivered. The Mk 2 was fitted with TCAS, EGPWS, improved DAS, improved avionics suite and had ISTAR equipment enhancements. The Mk 2 had a longer endurance to the Mk 1 being able to carry more fuel and was also able to operate at a lower height. The training variant was also delivered in September 2008 designated the T Mk 3. The final Mk 2 aircraft was to be delivered by 2012 together with the three Mk 1s upgraded to Mk 2 standard.

In June 2009, the Defender's deployment to Iraq ended with 651 Squadron serving continuously since October 2004 in which time it had provided over 8,000 hours in support of UK Forces. In January to February 2010, the Defender was trialled in the Middle East with a Counter-IED capability for potential use in Afghanistan. Defenders deployed to Afghanistan from November 2010 through to 2012. In 2012, Defenders flew daily missions prior to and during the London 2012 Summer Olympics.

In April 2019, the Defender was transferred from the Army to the Royal Air Force with No. 1 Group. The aircraft was re-designated from AL2 (prefix AL for Army liaison) to R2 (prefix R for Reconnaissance)."
If I remember correctly a militarised Islander, used by Botswanan Air Force was shot down by a Rhodesian K-Car (Alouette Helicopter with 20mm cannon), back in 1979.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17829 Post by Woody » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:37 pm

Magnus wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:12 pm
MrsP has gone off to M&S for some shopping. I was left strict instructions to replant one of the garden planters on pain of pain. Dilemma. The Gods are piddling in this area just now. Do I risk getting very soggy, or do I risk a bollocking? I may think on it over a beer while I watch the washing getting wet on the line.
Well it was nice knowing you :-h
When all else fails, read the instructions.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17830 Post by 1DC » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:01 pm

Have two or three beers and work on the principle that if you are five minutes past a bollicking then you may as well be an hour.
Watched Mrs 1DC plant up some hanging baskets, was going to help but was told to sod off cos i was telling her what to do. Always works..
Sunny on the Humber but looks like something heavy and wet coming this way..

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17831 Post by Magnus » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:33 pm

Sadly, we don't have a 5th Amendment here, but on the plus side the sun was shining when MrsP got back. Got the planting done, washing now re-drying. Phew!

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17832 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:31 pm

Large Cumulonimbus with classic mammatus cloud on the rear flank spotted as wind whipped by at a brisk 40 plus knots here as it passed this afternoon...

Mammatus cloud being Slasher's favourite presumably...

Mammatus Cloud.JPG
Mammatus Cloud.JPG (39.87 KiB) Viewed 335 times
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17833 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:57 pm

Filthy weather here - NNW wind gusting 42 mph, intermittent rain and 8C. I escaped from 10 weeks of exile this afternoon to go to the village and post a birthday card. A 9 mile round trip in the car. Not a sign of anyone out in the village. T'was a bit worrying that the low screenwash warning illuminated when I turned on the ignition. It wasn't on when I put the car in the garage 10 weeks ago. Just hoping mice haven't chewed through the plastic tubing somewhere inaccessible. It's happened before. I now have mouse traps at each of the road wheels, probably too late though.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17834 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:02 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:57 pm
Filthy weather here - NNW wind gusting 42 mph, intermittent rain and 8C. I escaped from 10 weeks of exile this afternoon to go to the village and post a birthday card. A 9 mile round trip in the car. Not a sign of anyone out in the village. T'was a bit worrying that the low screenwash warning illuminated when I turned on the ignition. It wasn't on when I put the car in the garage 10 weeks ago. Just hoping mice haven't chewed through the plastic tubing somewhere inaccessible. It's happened before. I now have mouse traps at each of the road wheels, probably too late though.
Glycol addicted mice with a sweet tooth? Buy a couple of bottles of Austrian wine and let them have at it...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_diet ... ne_scandal
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

ribrash

#17835 Post by ribrash » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:12 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:57 pm
Could be that the little filter in the wash bottle has been clogged with all the bits that have fallen out of suspension over the past weeks.Has happened to me in the past.I put a slug of neat bleach in the bottle and left it for a few hours.It cleared the blockage. :-bd

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17836 Post by Undried Plum » Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:21 am

Been up since **** o'clock this morning sorting out some 'kids' who prolly have more grey whiskers than I, who can't figure out how to interpret raw Shoran recorded hyperbolic geodata while they try to hook up a broken cable in the South China Sea.

Give 'em a GPS and they're OK. Anyfink else: theyre fukkd.

I'd rather look at Leonberger puppies on my screen than these heidbanger arseholes who need their arses wiped for them.

Edited to add: and their heads kicked in.

Further edited to make clear: The heidbangers that is, not the puppies. :O3

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17837 Post by OFSO » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:14 am

Sun is back on shift in London but 8° and a cold wind and leaky windows dating from the 1860s means that we have the heating on. (Original frames and glass survived WW-II).

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17838 Post by Ibbie » Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:52 am

Morning.
20c at present, blue sky with a touch of cloud.

We are progressing to Stage 3 of coming out of the lockdown on Monday.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17839 Post by Wodrick » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:36 am

Morning all,
Same, 25c still climbing guess = 28c roasty toasty by the pond.

RAV turned out interesting, found a dent in the sump partially blocking the pick up, dent bashed out.
Magic now have Oil Pressure it seems, subject to a thrash tomorrow. It needs fuel anyway, for the first time since February.

Busy sorting out new phones - they get more and more complex.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt

#17840 Post by larsssnowpharter » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:39 am

Typical English summer day here: bloody cold, wet and windy.

Even the Black Bitch asked for he morning walk to be curtailed.