Capt
Capt

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#81 Post by angels » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:52 am

Morning all. Warm here.....
Tall Bird wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:05 am
Thanks Alison. Will check out ALA tabs.
What an absolute bar steward shingles is. Here's hoping the tabs help. And speaking of things medical, this afternoon I've got my discussion with the cardio about the results from my last halter monitor. We shall see. And I've just had a letter saying that my next colon check will be in November. It has now been put back three times and was originally meant to be earlier.
Alisoncc wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:49 am
Sorry Ken, but you're going to have to include METARS to be taken seriously.
I am leaving for coffee with a big grin on my face. That was funny! :D
All generalisations are false, including this one.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#82 Post by Wodrick » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:03 am

Morning all,
Normal, Paco guesses 27 so we will hit 30 again, swap anyone ?

Think I will be extending the irrigation today to get to the bits it doesn't reach at present.

I think that I mentioned a donated fly exterminator afore, we added a second a few days ago and it is doing it's thing also, hundreds of dead flies and the occasional wasp.
Wonderful things.

The Ceemen Pond has started it's annual livestock collection, two mice and a small snake yesterday. The snake survived.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#83 Post by Cacophonix » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:22 am

angels wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:52 am
Morning all. Warm here.....
Tall Bird wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:05 am
Thanks Alison. Will check out ALA tabs.
What an absolute bar steward shingles is. Here's hoping the tabs help. And speaking of things medical, this afternoon I've got my discussion with the cardio about the results from my last halter monitor. We shall see. And I've just had a letter saying that my next colon check will be in November. It has now been put back three times and was originally meant to be earlier.
Alisoncc wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:49 am
Sorry Ken, but you're going to have to include METARS to be taken seriously.
I am leaving for coffee with a big grin on my face. That was funny! :D

I had shingles some 23 years ago and some 5 years after having caught chicken pox from some wretched baby child of one of my then colleagues! =))

I have never felt so ill. I was at a low ebb at the time having just broken up with my (still current) better half. She came back and fortunately the shingles never did!

Shingles is not to be trifled with but then neither is my better half! ;)))

Caco

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#84 Post by Woody » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:38 am

Another hot and humid day at Perry Oaks, MrsWoody has already decided that tonight is going to be a heavy watering night at chez Woody, this confirming that it’s going to p**s down ~X(
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#85 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:14 am

Morning folks. Posted earlier but forgot to 'send' again. Must be Thursday cos in town. Not too many chores. Got the grub and booze for the week. Garden centre on way home for clover killer. Currently at Injun pub awaiting IT guy to fix my smart phone e-mail.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#86 Post by handsfree » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:34 am

The lingering pain sometimes left by shingles is known as post-herpetic neuralgia and can be an absolute
barsteward to control. It tends to be worse the older the patient. In the majority of folk it lasts 2 to 3 months but
can last for years if you are really unlucky. My mother was one of the unlucky ones.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/post-herpetic-neuralgia/

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#87 Post by 1DC » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:44 am

Hope i never get shingles, trabb force to all the sufferers'.

Just made sure we stay dry for the next couple of days, all this talk of a month's rain in a few hours reminded me i hadn't cleared the roof gutters. This has now been done so i expect the thunderstorms to pass us by..
Herself has just instructed me to get changed, we have a BBQ for a dozen or so at the weekend and have to go and get booze and food etc..

angels
Capt
Capt

#88 Post by angels » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:51 am

1DC wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:44 am
we have a BBQ for a dozen or so at the weekend
That'll be when the thunderstorm arrives than.... :-o
All generalisations are false, including this one.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#89 Post by Magnus » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:10 am

PHN is nasty. Talk to your fettler about something like amitriptyline which, although originally developed as an anti-depressant, is more commonly used to treat nerve pain such as PHN and diabetic neuropathic pain. I take 25mg at night and it seems to do the trick.

603DX
Capt
Capt

#90 Post by 603DX » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:22 am

Wow, that post-herpetic-neuralgia sounds a real bummer! As it happens, I recently had my annual health check at the local GP Medical Centre (and passed, happily!). The practice nurse told me about the NHS shingles vaccination available to over - 70s, so I replied that I can recall having chicken-pox as a child, wouldn't that give me immunity? Apparently not, so I sensibly agreed to have the shot, and hopefully I'm now at reduced risk of getting shingles. Fingers crossed, and touch wood.

I'm still out on a limb with regard to the available annual flu jab however. I've never had one, for two reasons. One is that I don't seem to be one of those people susceptible to influenza in its various forms, I have only had one or two "man-flu" episodes in my long life to date. The other is that my father, to whom I was obviously very closely linked genetically, always had the flu jab when offered it, and almost every time he suffered unpleasant side effects afterwards. I told my GP of this, who didn't try to dissuade me from declining the jab each year. (I've also told the two doctors in my family, so I've taken a second and third opinion as well!)

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#91 Post by Cacophonix » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:13 pm

Anyway enough of pain and suffering and let me bore you with the results of my deep search for the nature of the intrinsic differences between the fine noble Afrikaner psyche and that of the more effete slippery English type of person.

I believe that the answer may be found to be inherent in this brandy Gedankenexperiment!

Onthou dat Afrikaners is plesierig!

=))

Caco

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#92 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:43 pm

Living in a desert by a large warm lagoon: 07.00 this morning at home OAT 8°. One km up our bush track on the main road 4°. Now at 14.00 at home a decent 26°. Hopefully we will get into the 30s soon. In 12 weeks time it could be 50°. What would the nanny state in the UK say about that?

Thoughts are with your country RiS with the death toll rising from the fires.

The water is rising by the minute here. Our chap had to dive under water this morning to raise the water pump intake. Still seemed to have all his arms and legs when we returned from town.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#93 Post by Cacophonix » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:45 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:43 pm
Living in a desert by a large warm lagoon: 07.00 this morning at home OAT 8°. One km up our bush track on the main road 4°. Now at 14.00 at home a decent 26°. Hopefully we will get into the 30s soon. In 12 weeks time it could be 50°. What would the nanny state in the UK say about that?

Thoughts are with your country RiS with the death toll rising from the fires.

The water is rising by the minute here. Our chap had to dive under water this morning to raise the water pump intake. Still seemed to have all his arms and legs when we returned from town.
Do you use all your servants as crocodile bait? =))

Caco

limeygal
Capt
Capt

#94 Post by limeygal » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:46 pm

Hello playmates :-h

Our stowaway from L/B No.5 made mention of Ex-A'a brief appearance on TOP:
'is name do sound fami.. (like I do knows it) from t'other place where there do be a boaty ting in t' dark continent. Maybe that there hossifer dun find 'im an' chucked him o/board
Dental surgery went well yesterday. Very little pain so far! I have a vague recollection of the MG President phoning me about something just before the surgery. I have no recollection what that was about. They had given me drugs to help me relax. Hubs said it sounded as if I was agreeing to something. Oh crap. Will be seeing him today at our monthly meeting. Probably have to lie my way out of doing something 'orrible.

Hugs to all those in the bowels of shingle hell. :YMHUG: Sounds like there is some good advice coming from fellow TRABBists. The thinking over here re. developing shingles is that if you have had chickenpox then you are more likely to get it. I haven't to my knowledge. My sister has. Mummy dearest sent me upstairs to rub calamine lotion on her spots, in the hope I would catch it. Mother's attempt at biological warfare failed.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#95 Post by Cacophonix » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:16 pm

The cap has broken here and cumulus towers are going up all around. I think a storm is now on the cards.

Caco

Slasher

#96 Post by Slasher » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:31 pm

TAF EGSS 261056Z 2612/2718 14008KT CAVOK
PROB30
TEMPO 2614/2618 VRB15G25KT 3000 +TSRA TSGR BKN040CB
PROB30
TEMPO 2700/2706 7000 TSRA BKN045CB
PROB40 2706/2709 5000 BR
PROB40
TEMPO 2714/2718 VRB15G25KT 2000 +TSRA TSGR BKN040CB
I think all your PROB 30s are gonna eventuate mate. Hmm... gravel is forecast as well.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#97 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:38 pm

Do you use all your servants as crocodile bait? 

Caco, no. We are essentially vegetarian but the crocs usually win as you know. Although we have seen a clash over a hippo carcass between lions and crocs. The crocs backed off when the lions arrived. Interesting.

Late lunch by the pool then our weekly night out up river to the low budget safari camp. It is all real high level society stuff here. Maybe even find a pleb tourist with a brain cell to talk to up there. Probably get lost in the bush on the way home and end up in the lagoon in the dark again. Me driver, 'er navigator. Not my fault. To be honest the boss usually gets it right and with the air intake snorkel on the motor we can go at least 2 metres under water.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#98 Post by Woody » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:42 pm

MrsWoody phoned me to pick up a few bits and pieces on the way home, nipped into angels employers and mercy me they sell Wobbly, so it’s in the fridge ready for later :D
When all else fails, read the instructions.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#99 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:50 pm

Normal, Paco guesses 27 so we will hit 30 again, swap anyone ?

Wodrick: I'll gladly trade with you. 46.5 C yesterday.

PP

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#100 Post by ian16th » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:34 pm

Like Ex A, I'm still wearing a wooly pully.

Expecting 27 tomorrow, might take the pully off for a while.
Cynicism improves with age