The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#12501 Post by 4mastacker » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:47 pm

Interesting photo from today's team on me lock restoration project. They found this and are asking if anyone has any idea what it could be. We have found ammonites on the same site, but they were easily identifiable. There's no indication of how big or small it is.

Any clues please?
Screenshot 2019-11-21 at 19.42.39.png
Screenshot 2019-11-21 at 19.42.39.png (323.17 KiB) Viewed 393 times
It's always my fault - SWMBO

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12502 Post by boing » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:06 am

Since this thread seems to deal with weather, activities and pets I thought I would merge all of these subjects into one post. :YMHUG:

Weather pretty good in Oregon. First heavy frost of the year and all of the house roofs were coated in ice. Foggy in the Columbia River valley. We sit 150 feet above the river so that we are usually above the fog. The mountain on the horizon is Mount Adams, 76 miles away from the camera. We are 50 miles from the Mount St. Helens volcano. Excuse the poor photo, this was pretty early in the morning.
morn1web.jpg
morn1web.jpg (34.29 KiB) Viewed 363 times
As mentioned somewhere previously one of my activities is archery. I built this butt about a year go and made it 100 yards from the house since that is one of the competition distances. I soon found I was not a 100 yard archer so I normally shoot from 28 and a little bit yards (25 meters actually since US archery follows the frog rules). The orange arrow bucket is at this distance.
butt1web.jpg
butt1web.jpg (83.38 KiB) Viewed 363 times
The two black sheets behind the targets are compressed rubber horse mats 3/4 inch thick. Just right for stopping arrows.
butt2web.jpg
butt2web.jpg (74.99 KiB) Viewed 363 times
Anybody remember the cute fluffy little pup photo when we got the new tyke? That was 4 1/2 months ago now and she has turned into a whirlwind. Right now she is in the lanky phase but she will start filling out soon. The older dog has just about finished unarmed combat training with her and now they are into property boundary patrolling and protection. Unfortunately the pup hasn't yet got the message that she can't get into the UPS delivery van and go for a ride. I was very lucky to get this photo because they are usually running around a Warp 5 in battle formation.
dogsweb.jpg
dogsweb.jpg (78.66 KiB) Viewed 363 times
That's me for the year.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Slasher

#12503 Post by Slasher » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:52 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:31 am
Was the session planned like that from the company or from your outfit?
The captains’s airline RiS. I got all that gen from the Destructor gossip channel. Read my next post.

Slasher

#12504 Post by Slasher » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:22 am

Morning from Sh!t City China.

Just spent all morning at Chief Instructor’s Office giving my side of the story about last night. I still can’t friggin’ believe it happened but it did. Read on.

The prebrief and 2 sim sessions went surprisingly well. Everything done professionally and you couldn’t bloody guess there was any animosity between these 2 blokes in the sim itself. They didn’t talk to each other directly during the inter-sim coffee break but only to me. One was 52yo and the other 40.

At post brief I raised a minor discussion about the decision-making of one bloke and the CRM of the other during the second sim of the LOFT. One guy suddenly stood up yelling at the other in his native tongue and the other equally so. Lots of pointing of fingers. I know enough of their lingo to recognise “dog’s arselick” “cnut” “fcuk your mother” and “fcuk you”.

I immed stood up and yelled at them to STFU and sit down. This is a discussion only. LOFTs are not pass or fail. AND we are still in the sim building. If you blokes want a brawl then go do it outside the premises.

They calmed down and I ended the postbrief early. Atmosphere... razor etc.

We all went together outside the Facility building but still on the property. Out of the blue the older captain shoved the other. The younger other shoved him back with such force he fell over and donged his head on the small cement front parking-limit thingy. He then sprang up and threw at right cross that sprawled the younger guy flat on his back but not out cold. I intervened and stopped any further fighting. More mother tongue swearing at each other followed, then they left for their cars.

I was wondering whether to report this sh!t, as it occurred on Co property, but found out shortly after there were witnesses to the event. So that decided that. I was contacted and told to front the Office in the morning (smorning) and report what I saw.

The overall Commander in Chief of Everything said thank you captain Slasher that will be all. I dunno if these two jokers will get the arse or not from their airline.

I get the feeling there’s a woman involved (don’t 99% of all brawls start this way?) and someone porked the other guy’s GF or wife.

Never a dull around here!

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12505 Post by Alisoncc » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:36 am

boing wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:06 am
Since this thread seems to deal with weather, activities and pets I thought I would merge all of these subjects into one post. :YMHUG:

Weather pretty good in Oregon.
Spent a fair bit of time up your neck of the woods Boing. A long time ago worked for Tektronix for five years, and used to visit Beaverton pretty often. Got into Portland a few times. Back then I thought if I was ever going to live in the US it would have to be Oregon.

Into field archery back then to. In Sydney, close to where I lived, we had a course set up in a small forest. We had a dozen or so animal cut-out targets backed by chaff bags. Some were looking down from a rocky outcrop, others through trees, etc. You were allowed three arrows per target.

I also acquired a hound just five months ago. She's a rescue dog from the local pound. On the oldish side (nearly 9) but absolutely fabulous.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12506 Post by boing » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:25 am

Alison,

The electronics presence in Beaverton has just grown and grown. With the big electronics companies themselves and all of the support industries that go with them the number of people employed in electronics is massive. Good and bad of course, great for the local tax base but it has also shoved up population, house prices and commute distances.

Oregon is odd and it breeds odd people. Some of the best analog device designers are in Oregon and they refuse to move for anything. One big east coast company has a little enclave of analog designers who are total anarchists. They turn up for work when they feel like it, go home when they feel like it, go fishing or hiking when they feel like it - but they get the job done so the company just leaves them alone, smart policy.

Tektronix was the breeding ground for many of the present electronics companies.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12507 Post by OFSO » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:28 am

Boing, nice photos to wake up to after a poor night's sleep. Very cheering. Look like my wife's masseur's young dogs, which are totally nuts.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12508 Post by OFSO » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:49 am

Holycow Mr S and these guys could be up front steering an airplane ? Very confidence inspiring !

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12509 Post by handsfree » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:55 am

Morning to you all.
The rain is gently making itself heard on the conservatory roof but it is a little bit warmer this morning, +5C.

Oregon looks quite beautiful boing. Must be a real pleasure to wake up to that scenery.

Gird yer loins everyone, it's FRIDAY once more

On this day in 1963, John F Kennedy was shot and killed.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#12510 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:06 am

jimtherev wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:46 pm
Ex-Ascot wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:09 am
.....When were you at Benson? I was there Jan 83 for three years.
Did you ever come across an hon chaplain to Queen's Flight, Revd Bernard Railton-Bax? A disgraceful old rogue and (some would say inevitably) a mentor of mine. In his dotage used to get about on a 50cc moped; he, being 5'6" tall and about the same round the waist, looked like a floppy round black blob with a couple of spindly wheels sticking out underneath. (Never seen out without a cassock, he was of that generation.)
I'm proud to have his portable communion set, which he bequeathed to me... I'd had it for a couple of years before I noticed it is engraved A (crown) M.

Oh well, HM probably hasn't noticed.
Sorry Reverend missed this. I was on The Queen's Flight for 3 years and didn't even know we had a Hon Chaplain let alone meet him. He couldn't have been very active.

Same depressing weather here. Lots of thunder no rain. The lagoon is just puddles in places. At the safari camp we go to the other side of town was a dead hippo which died of starvation.

Successful town day yesterday. I got my old passport back found in a gutter with my residency permit in it so the Department of Immigration can go and stuff themselves with their paperwork and their admin fee of £300. Got the lawnmower repaired which is now in action on a half dead lawn.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12511 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:57 am

Alisoncc wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:36 am
boing wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:06 am

Weather pretty good in Oregon.
Spent a fair bit of time up your neck of the woods Boing. A long time ago worked for Tektronix for five years, and used to visit Beaverton pretty often. Got into Portland a few times. Back then I thought if I was ever going to live in the US it would have to be Oregon.

Into field archery back then to. In Sydney, close to where I lived, we had a course set up in a small forest. We had a dozen or so animal cut-out targets backed by chaff bags. Some were looking down from a rocky outcrop, others through trees, etc. You were allowed three arrows per target.

I also acquired a hound just five months ago. She's a rescue dog from the local pound. On the oldish side (nearly 9) but absolutely fabulous.

Alison
I did two mini courses of archery back while in a community college in Brussels in early 90's. We started our tour on a similar setting like yours with three arrows each member or the team and ended up with three arrows per team. The professor running in was quite miserable after that since he paid for the arrows.

Are you sure the hound she is a reliable animal without a hidden flow from her previous life?

Slasher an unexpected turn of CRM training. Maybe you can copy-write it and use it as training material.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12512 Post by Wodrick » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:43 am

Morning all,
Not a day for visiting the CdS,
22.11.2019 09.37.JPG
22.11.2019 09.37.JPG (116.63 KiB) Viewed 290 times
Looks to clear *Ibbieville* shortly, good two hours more for me.

It is a concern that those two could be sharing a flight deck, doubt that it will affect me however.

Might get the Wx station mounted if the deluge stops, it's working perfectly in the house.

Hey ho brekkie calls.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Capetonian

#12513 Post by Capetonian » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:09 am

I keep these words from an email sent to me by a friend, on the notice board in my study.

They can of course be interpreted in two different ways :
Capture.JPG

Slasher

#12514 Post by Slasher » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:42 am

OFSO wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:49 am
Holycow Mr S and these guys could be up front steering an airplane ? Very confidence inspiring !
In the sim they did very well. No issues whatsoever except the aforementioned decision making and CRM for discussion purposes only.

Keep them apart and out of each other’s sight and I’d deem them very capable pilots.

I think the airline should not’ve insisted they be paired together for whatever reason, operational or whatnot. I’ve no doubt both these blokes would’ve requested session swaps.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12515 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:55 am

We had an honorary chaplain, he/she used to visit a couple of times per year. Actually enabled him to meet his parishioners at work (civilian contractors). As we were in a bombing range with various hazards, one of my men had a very near miss. He was an ex-Army CSM and said it was the closest he had been to death. The bomb passed 8 feet below him. Mere fractions of a second later and it could have been worse.

The priest could have claimed expenses but a benevolent hierarchy in the Church would have cut his stipend by a similar amount.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12516 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:57 am

Learning a lot here - very useful stuff on butt construction, Boing.

Clouds on the Costa - OMG!

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12517 Post by ricardian » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:14 am

Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12518 Post by Ibbie » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:08 am

Morning.
Rain in Southampton.
Power cut at home. Both of which are apparently my fault.
Good Chinese all you can eat buffet last night on Sons birthday.

Those two fighting in HK brings to mind the two fighting on landing by the Spanish pilots at Northolt several years back, when the aircraft ended up on the A40.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12519 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:19 am

Slasher wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:42 am

I think the airline should not’ve insisted they be paired together for whatever reason, operational or whatnot. I’ve no doubt both these blokes would’ve requested session swaps.

I read somewhere that CRM is what allows you to fly with an individual that you really hate. Maybe that was the whole point of the exercise.

Friend of mine was doing his military service and was participating at an exercise involving a recall of reservist. So two guys arrive at the base, they remembered they had some issues and they got in a decent fight. Nobody tried to stop them we thought it wasn't a bad idea.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12520 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:25 am

OK dog experts, yesterday our 18 month old Scottie met an 18 month old Border Terrier. Lots of social interplay, tail wagging etc. Then, as it was pulled away it became a whirling dervish, flying in the end of its lead, teeth bared etc. Apparently this is its normal behaviour.

Our Scottie, the steadiest one we have owned just squared up and pulled forward, no teeth, no noise, no fuss.

Why would the BT behave like that?