The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#8321 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:11 pm

The weekend just gone has been our annual Steam-engine Rally.
Traditionally the participants drive a few over the bridge into the village square on Saturday evening.
This time I heard a parent explaining to a child what 'coal' was . . .

Slasher

#8322 Post by Slasher » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:15 am

Last night was sheer fun with the kiddies.

Flight control Direct Law essentially means there are no airspeed, bank angle, stall, pitch nor load factor protections. No AP and no AT neither. You're essentially a pilot.

The children did well and both thought the stalls done at 10,000 were a no-brainer. (-|

Heh heh heh! :ymdevil:

So I said ok guys we'll do it again but slightly different.

"Now...pitch 30* nose up and hold it. At 120kt pull full backstick and give a bootful of left rudder AND HOLD IT."

The "shiiiit!"s and "faaark!"s all came thick and fast amid the cacophony of warning bells and whistles.

"Ahem...this is called a spin gentlemen." :D

"Faaaa....ark!" :((

I've posted a 320 clip a few times before what a full spin is like so I won't place it here. Suffice to say they were terrified and fascinated at the same time. The other guy put in right rudder on his turn. Both recovered from their respective spins after some simple instruction.

What they learnt from this session is that Direct Law is nothing to fear (unlike the majority of supposedly senior F/Os I've flown proficiency checks with). In fact they walked away liking it. As a destructor that's very satisfying.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8323 Post by OFSO » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:32 am

Snow line here down to 1800m. June, in Spain....

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#8324 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:06 am

Morning folks, bit of cloud but generally a nice day. Interesting exercise Capt. Never tried to spin a large jet in the SIM. Suppose it all works the same as a small jet in the air. A few people here will remember this, they used to put you into a UP (unusual position) IMC and you had to recover from it. Give that a bash.

Going down to the port shortly to take our resident woofter to the pharmacy for a bucket more of medication.

Got a friend here at the moment from North Norway. We are talking one hour of daylight in the winter. No way could I live there.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8325 Post by handsfree » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:08 am

It's the water line that's bothering me. It's tipped it down all night long resulting in a
very full moat. Not a cat-in-hells chance of pouring any concrete today.

Its the weekend of the Download Festival at Donington Park. The mud people should start arriving
soon. Poor buggers.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8326 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:07 am

Spinning; I liked it.
As if one didn't have enough to do with checking direction, airspeed, height, calculating available height to recover, and counting turns, my Boss (an A1 QFI) was prone to chucking in a little more workload "Count backwards from 243 in 17's" was one I remember, one calculation required per turn. Try that one on your studes, Slash.
UPs were fun too. Standard when I was learning was to have you with your head looking towards one hip joint (to 'help' the disorientation), then the instructor would fly his aeros sequence, badly, and give it to you at some point. I've been given it pure vertical becoming ballistic, banked inverted, and even in an upright spin on limited panel once. When one got to the front line, it all turned out to be useful, and not just an excuse for instructors to abuse you. About the most disorienting thing I found was, with worsening weather ahead, to have to rush into close formation from battle at low level, so one could do an immediate pairs low level abort, then one might lose visual shortly afterwards in a sloeblack Cb anyway. Now you'd be being bounced around, IMC, below safety height, in Heaven only knows what orientation, and guaranteed that your brain's gyros would be screaming some other attitude anyway. You'd have to immediately transition to instruments from looking sideways, and turn away from whichever side your leader was on. Fortunately one was too busy to be scared ;)

Right, off out at dawn on Mossie patrol. I shall be doing some more culvert strimming before the little b#ggers wake up, and setting up my electronic zapper thing for the summer.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8327 Post by 4mastacker » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:08 am

Very Wet!!

HF, don't let a flooded moat/ heavy rain stop you pouring concrete. We've done it on me lock restoration project and it's not a problem. One of our volunteers who is a builder and has done underwater pours says the concrete goes off better and harder if it is poured under water. Another volunteer poured concrete in a harbour when the tide was in, he said he needed divers to check the shuttering but the pour was fine. I don't think you need worry about divers in your moat.

Here you are, our moat is bigger than yours. :p
Screenshot 2019-06-11 at 09.05.28.png
Screenshot 2019-06-11 at 09.05.28.png (504.28 KiB) Viewed 309 times
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8328 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:10 am

Thank you for this - I shall be pouring concrete in a month when I start refurbishing my barn foundations. So one is OK if a summer shower hits then? How about laying mortar?

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8329 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:26 am

AIUI, rain on fresh concrete may only affect the surface finish - maybe for the better.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8330 Post by 4mastacker » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:32 am

We abandoned bricklaying yesterday because the rain was turning the mortar into a mush and washing it out of the joints. We will continue to lay bricks in a very light shower but make sure that the bricks are covered after laying to prevent the mortar being washed out. We stop all together if the rain becomes persistent or heavier.

Also, if it starts to rain and you have a barrow-load of mortar waiting to be used, keep the mortar covered otherwise the rain will dilute the mortar and weaken it.

Tall Bird
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8331 Post by Tall Bird » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:33 am

Arrived back from Frogland late last night with a heavy cold. Torrential rain on both sides of La Manche as we made our way from Tours. There were some interesting vehicles on trailers on the Shuttle - presumably they had been part of the D-Day commemorations.

Empty pond in garden is now overflowing. House still w/o heating. Plumber may come tomorrow with new valve. Had hoped to stay in bed today then realised I have a foot fettler's appt this morning. :(

hf, I'd forgotten the Download festival was on until I saw the M1 matrix signs warning of delays. The mud folk have already started to arrive. [-X I will have to look at alternative routes to Northants on Friday.
https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news ... ad-2958573

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8332 Post by 4mastacker » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:40 am

G-CPTN wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:26 am
AIUI, rain on fresh concrete may only affect the surface finish - maybe for the better.
That appears to be the case. When the pour in my photo had gone off, the surface was very smooth. No tamping was necessary.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8333 Post by Ibbie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:44 am

Morning folks.

Usual weather here.

Heading off to Benalmadena Hospital with Mrs IB to have an ultrasound in respect of kidney stones.

Don't the festival mud dwellers just cross the Pennines, unwashed, from last weekend's Parklife event in Heaton Park, Manchester, to Download, bringing mud with them?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8334 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:02 am

Wife: what's champagne and orange juice called?

Me: thinks

Wife: check this

Me: Bucks Fizz

Wife: that's what I just said.

I think I need new deaf aids.

Capetonian

#8335 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:06 am

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (55.24 KiB) Viewed 283 times
When we go away I have a couple of old laptops which I use a 'decoys' just in case the house gets broken into. I leave one on my desk and one on a table, hiding away the new ones.

Unfortunately I often forget where I've hidden the new ones!

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8336 Post by Wodrick » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:07 am

Little me too,
Same, bit windy, yer man guesses 27, he was a bit high yesterday too.

After I had cleared what I thought was all the donkey *****, H managed to find some and bring it in for supper.
Twice now he has "Asked" to go out to toilet, we are viewing this as positive.

I am being 'requested' to accompany SM to the garden centre, this means she wants something big/heavy. I have vague recollection of a table being mentioned.
I wasn't listening properly.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8337 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:21 am

Capetonian, snap. Now with most things in cloud it is a question of remembering which cloud.

At least with a Kindle Fire restoring to a new model was a breeze.

Slasher

#8338 Post by Slasher » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:42 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:06 am
A few people here will remember this, they used to put you into a UP (unusual position) IMC and you had to recover from it. Give that a bash.
Yes it's done as Unusual Attitudes in 'busspeak sah and done in IMC. Usual purpose is to recover after suddenly smashing into some bugger's wake at close quarters (the 380's my fave). This is done in Normal Law and the attitude (e.g. 120* bank and 50* NU) puts one in Alternate Law as normal law limits have been exceeded. The exercise is usually done on descent and when workload is high. However in this 'alternate' Alternate Law some protections remain. I won't go into details.

Fox3 I learnt to fly on the DH82. Spin recovery under the hood was quite challenging for a scrawny 17yo. I don't think I would've been able to count backwards in 1s let alone 17s as I was flat chat just trying to recover with nothing but the bat ball ASI and alt to work out which bloody way my arse was pointing! @-)

Wodrick wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:07 am
Are you indicating the number of days without rain or the number of days without sex dear chap? 🤔

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8339 Post by Wodrick » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:02 am

Oh rain, the other would be MUCH more.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8340 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:23 pm