Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#27081 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:17 pm

EA01 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:02 am
Sibelius booms out

Like this TGG?

A former FCO co-worker once told me of a wee job that she did driving a CD-plated Taunus (I think that's it was: a Jerry-built Dagenham Dustbin Cortina, in English money) from Leningrad. Her task was to fetch a time-expired asset from some woodland and take him to Finland.

The asset was in the boot and there were several Sov checkpoints to negotiate. His life was on the line, so when the car crossed the border, she played that tune on the cassette to ressure her cargo of meat that he was, at last, safe.

I'm sure that tune means a lot to that guy.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#27082 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:15 pm

Evening folks. Sebelius, a magnificent composer but rather tough on the fiddle sections. I needed a lot of constructive fiddling to get around that lot of notes. Glad someone else knew what to play. I just fiddled.

A pretty miserable day, cold and cloudy, but at least we have beer.

We still have no idea what the new laws are on booze. Very nebulous. Bars and restaurants can sell on a take away basis only. I have advised the local safari camp to act as a private camp, bookings only, and ask the authorities to work that one out.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27083 Post by OFSO » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:29 pm

Flashing lights and whirring machinery outside as the Town Council sweeper machine unnecessarily drives past up here on the mountainside, a sure sign the municipal elections are due (every five years, and that's how often the street gets swept).

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27084 Post by handsfree » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:56 pm

Odd that OFSO.
The road sweeper has just passed our house, up to the top of the Close - we live in a cul-de-sac - and back again.
Haven't seen one since last Spring. Even odder, it wasn't sweeping. So what was the point ?

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27085 Post by Wodrick » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:06 pm

By reading on another forum (holds out virtual hand for slapping) I have discovered "ClicSalud" Click for health I guess.

What a wonderful site, I have access to my complete medical records, view and change appointments within the entire system so at the health centre or the Horsepitil. Change my address, change my doctor, see when my prescriptions are available at the Pharmacy or when they need renewing on my card, anything really.

Must get SM a digital certificate.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27086 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:26 pm

Back from collecting Mrs C16's A3 from its MOT. Only 954 miles since its last test a year ago! Still, it has to be done.

We lost our wireless internet connection for 16 hours overnight - data failure by third party supplier apparently. That made me sound like Reggie Perrin* ("11 minutes late, points failure at Clapham Junction")! Still on a backup system - should be on 30Mbps but the backup only gives 7Mbps. Shouldn't grumble, the BT landline only gave us around 1.5Mbps until we binned it.

* "The Rise and Fall of Reggie Perrin" - BBC4 - 2030 tonight, just after "Yes Minister".
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27087 Post by OFSO » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:39 pm

Your Audi sounds like Mrs OFSO's Fiesta. 17 years old, less than 1000 a year. That's the car, by the way.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27088 Post by boing » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:26 pm

UP, I used to have three beehives.
Bee OAC
Bee EA
and Bee Cal
:D
the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27089 Post by Karearea » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:16 pm

Cat-napping!
A Ponsonby tabby was reunited with her Auckland owners this week after a check up at the vets revealed she was a very long way from home.

Nine-year-old Luna, beloved cat of Diana Savoy, disappeared some nine months ago when she was picked up by two French tourists and joined their roadtrip of New Zealand, culminating in Wānaka. ...
https://www.thewanakasun.co.nz/news/144 ... a-cat.html

Pinching cats is hardly cricket... [-X
There's rosemary, that's for remembrance. ...

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27090 Post by EA01 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:21 pm

Morning All

24, overcast, 70% chance rain. Yesterday went to 38, and a fabulous storm skirted around the side of us, so no rain but some spectacular distant lightening.

The Seaway High tide for today is 11:06, so I suspect I shall find myself there today, crumbed prawns to be had for lunch then, that will fit perfectly after being in the Sea. :)

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27091 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:37 pm

I’ve downloaded the Zoom app on my iPad which runs on Safari and I haven’t had any problems with it, not that helps you!
Makes sense, and was my expectation, but the iMac definitely came up with " Zoom not supported by Safari, download Chrome or .Edge "

Digital madness.

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27092 Post by handsfree » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:50 pm

Try Firefox. works for me.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#27093 Post by jimtherev » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:30 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:59 am
All but one of the hives were out flying yesterday.

#2 hive is the adventurous one. They produced prolifically and I'll try to split then twice this season as they are ideal breeding material.

#4 hive are lazy bitches. They did not fly at all yesterday. I'll not breed from them and may kill the queen and give them a new queen from #2 hive.
Surprised (in my ignorance) to read that. Why don't they recognise the new queen as an intruder and do 'er in?

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27094 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:45 pm

Oh, but they do! Or would, anyway.

The way to introduce a new queen to a queenless hive is to place her in a wee box within the hive with enough mesh that they can smell her and get used to her smell and eventually start to feed her.

A queenless colony desperately needs a new queen. Otherwise they are all doomed. They know that.

It's a slow introduction process, but it always works.

That's how we "split" a colony.

If I haven't explained it properly, please let me know and I'll write a longer description of how it works.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27095 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:36 am

Here's what I'll do to improve the breeding stock of the rather poor Colony#4 and improve it with the breeding stock of the brilliant breeding stock of Colony#2.

First, I will persuade #2 to start the Swarm behaviour. I'll do that by reducing the physical size of the hive. I'll withdraw brood boxes and 'supers' (the boxes which are for stores of honey and pollen). Then I'll reduce the remaining frames, so that they feel that they are overcrowded.

That will trigger the natural reflex of the colony to reproduce itself by swarming.

A Swarm is a process which involves several things. First, they build queen cups. These are acorn sized and shaped cells, quite unlike the normal hexagonal shaped cells that you are familiar with. The queen will lay a single fertilised eggs in each of those cells. There are usually about three or four of such cells, though that number can vary randomly.

Then the colony starts to swarm. Approximately half will go; the rest remain behind. Quite how they decide who goes and who remains is a bit of a mystery. The queen goes with the leavers.

A few days later, one of the queen cups produces a newly emerged queen. She immediately goes to seek out the other queen cups. She kills her unborn sisters. She has a barbless stinger so the she can do so.

She is then the new queen, albeit unable to produce eggs to further the colony. After a couple of first solo flights which involve nothing more than circuits and bumps, she then goes on her mating flight.

Drones are male bees. Their sole purpose in life is to mate, on the wing, with a virgin queen from a different colony. They hang around in groups, at about 100' to 200'agl and several of them will mate with such a virgin queen. She only makes one such flight in her life. She collects enough sperm to last her for the four or five years of he rest of her life.

She then returns to her hive and remains their queen for life.

To split a colony, one forces the swarm behaviour, and then takes the existing queen and introduces her to a queenless colony.

In my case, I will force Colony #2 (the good one) to swarm; then I will kill queen #4 and introduce queen #2 to Colony #4 and will thus improve the breeding stock of #4 while #2 reproduces itself genetically in hive#2 from the good genes of what is currently queen#2.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27096 Post by Karearea » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:15 am

I suspect in the context of bees, "smell" is to "whatever it is they're sensing" as "sound" is to "symphony orchestra with choir et lumière"

Clever little beggahs.
There's rosemary, that's for remembrance. ...

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27097 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:59 am

Woody, thanks.

My response.
Makes sense, and was my expectation, but the iMac definitely came up with " Zoom not supported by Safari, download Chrome or Edge.
She now can't get Skype, either, hitting the "Download Skype for iMac" option appears to download, but no download appears in the latest download list, and she gets the same message " Safari doesn't support Skype,"

'tis a puzzlement, said Alice.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#27098 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:50 am

Morning folks. Blazing sunshine. Mammoth watering about to commence for the first time since November. Our annual rain allocation is 450 mm we have had 818 mm. Water pump had to be extracted from vegetation then a hornets nest dispatched from inside the cover. It has started.

The drama this morning was a young bush baby in the pool. Exhausted, bedraggled and cold. Popped it in a box with a towel and handed over the problem to the safari camp. Unbeknown to us the manageress has always wanted one. Well she has one now, just hope it lives.
Attachments
BB.jpg
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27099 Post by OFSO » Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:45 am

Local police ran a patrol up here last night. First time in months if not years. Definitely a municipal election on the horizon.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27100 Post by Ibbie » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:05 am

Morning all.

Cloud cover with sun trying to get through and 14c. Guess for high is only 15c.

Cousin's funeral tomorrow is being streamed.