handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#27101 Post by handsfree » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:06 am

Bit of a dull day here.
+2°C, overcast and slight mist.
Forecast isn't much better either.

ExSp33db1rd, there isn't any chance that you're downloading the Windows version of Zoom and Skype
rather than the Mac/iPad versions is there ?

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27102 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:29 am

ExSp33db1rd, there isn't any chance that you're downloading the Windows version of Zoom and Skype
rather than the Mac/iPad versions is there ?
Don't think so, only using the iMac we got the invitation to " Download Skype for iMac " then it wouldn't.

Stop Press ! Just had a shout from SWMBO - I've got it !! Don't know what she has done, must go and see.

Thanks for all the responses.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27103 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:47 am

UP on another thread observed how patio doors were too easy to burst through. This got me thinking about home security in general.

In UK, strong multipoint locking doors are becoming the norm as are smaller lower u value windows. At the same time ever larger all glazed room width doors are also highly fashionable. One thing we don't go for is bars or shutters.

Continental style roller shutters are a rarity as are any form of bars. Why? Are we more law abiding? Are our police better?

External shutters in UK are of course difficult as our windows open outwards but internal slatted shutters seem to becoming popular.

Admittedly, in Germany, my daughter's house had roller blinds no more substantial than slatted blinds. Are window and door bars common in southern countries as windows and doors are left open for cooling?

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27104 Post by 4mastacker » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:58 am

Morning folks.

Early morning walk combined with a trip to Mr Watkins emporium for some victuals required by Mrs 4ma (who is still asleep). Mug of tea at hand and ready for today's inquisition north of the border.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#27105 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:15 am

Bars on the outside of doors and on the inside of windows here and electric security fences. They all look awful. We have nothing. There is a space between the stone walls and the thatch roof for air to get in. During the day the doors are open. All our windows are wired shut you have to take out a window frame to get it. At night front and back doors are locked and bolted. Our last two robberies were day/evening time through open doors. One before those they jemmied a window out. First two robberies the windows were not wired shut and they worked one loose.

Asked an engineer friend to look at our oil consuming water pump. He has persuaded me that burning a bit of oil is not a problem but he is coming for a beer over the weekend anyway.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27106 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:45 am

Overcast and misty, no sun to be seen, and cold as well, but the tulips and other bulbs are coming up nicely and spring has sprung because I have hay fever, itchy eyes, itchy ears and sneezing to beat the band!

Have been told I can move my checkout from the 13th of April to the 1st. I am not triskaidekaphobic, but if one is going to move a date from the 13th, then moving it to April Fool's Day seems perfectly appropriate, well in my case anyway. Will do a run down the south coast on the 13th. I can't wait.

I wonder if the good Speedbird's even better lady's problem was related to the use of the Zoom plugin with Safari? Now doubt he will enlighten us presently! Well whatever, a Swinging Safari kind of day to all.

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27107 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:19 am

Ex-A, as my Merc got to about 1000miles per pint I was advised to use a much heavier oil than recommended. I boight the cheapest oil from the PX. I still have pints of the stuff.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27108 Post by OFSO » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:28 am

Bars over all windows and doors in Spain. However as we are on a slope the back, south facing, side is at least 50' above ground level and hence no bars. Likewise the side. Only one road into our urbanisation and watched by CCTV connected to local police

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27109 Post by EA01 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:57 am

and watched by CCTV connected to local police
Tis a good thing municipal elections are on the horizon then ... ;)))

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27110 Post by EA01 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:09 am

About right.... :(

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27111 Post by Woody » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:37 am

Greece is hit by 6.9-magnitude earthquake: Locals take to the streets after tremor is felt in Athens
Hope RIS is ok
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27112 Post by Wodrick » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:39 am

Hello everybody,
I'm at 17˚c now with the usual guess of 19˚c, cloudy and quite grey over the mountains at the back (North)

Spent the morning trying to find the digital certificate that I acquired a while ago for SM.
Eventually found the e-mail but when it came to the download bit it turned out to be Time x.
Have downloaded the application again.

I have bars on all easily accessable windows, on a similar hillside so the North facing windows don't need them.
We are alarmed which is linked to the Police. Deterrent really as if they moved instantly they would be 15 minutes to get here.
Damage would be done.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27113 Post by OFSO » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:09 pm

I have the odd firearm. A CO2 pistol and rosary hang from my bedhead, so am ready to expel intruders of both corporal and spitutal natures. And as a medievelist, I keep my trusty sword in the corner of the room by my bed.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27114 Post by tango15 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:21 pm

(Crosses OFSO's house off the list of houses to potentially burgle...) :))

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27115 Post by ian16th » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:55 pm

https://trellidor.co.za/products/retractable-security/

These are pretty standard for patio doors here.
trellidoor.jpg
Cynicism improves with age

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27116 Post by CharlieOneSix » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:01 pm

I'm not having much luck with deliveries at the moment, what with my Hermes sagas. An Amazon driver delivered my order a few minutes ago, one day early. Brilliant.....except there was nothing in the package. It should have been a 4TB USB 3.0 WD Elements Portable External Hard Drive but the envelope it was in was half open. Some sod has half inched it! I felt sorry for the driver as he had been so cheery when he delivered it. After he left I took a photo of the package.

However, Amazon have been amazing. I immediately went to their chat line, answered a few automated questions and was told a replacement would be with me tomorrow. You can't better that. Very impressed.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27117 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:57 pm

Did our 70 mile run to get the dog stripped. Followed by a police car but I hung a quick right.

No Jimmy, it wasna me😉

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27118 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:01 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:50 am
Morning folks. Blazing sunshine. Mammoth watering about to commence for the first time since November. Our annual rain allocation is 450 mm we have had 818 mm. Water pump had to be extracted from vegetation then a hornets nest dispatched from inside the cover. It has started.

The drama this morning was a young bush baby in the pool. Exhausted, bedraggled and cold. Popped it in a box with a towel and handed over the problem to the safari camp. Unbeknown to us the manageress has always wanted one. Well she has one now, just hope it lives.
Ex-A:
Export opportunity? :-?

https://pretyexotics.com/product/bush-baby-for-sale/

PP

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27119 Post by OFSO » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:54 pm

Who said completing PoA forms was easy? I've just downloaded 25 pages of the PoA for property, another 25 pages of the PoA for health, and the same again for the wife, 100 pages in total, sorted out main and backup attorneys, witnesses. Nightmare. And I, mark you, when at work was known as the most fiendish designer of forms ever, which nobody in or out of their minds could understand; but the UK PoA applications took me to a new level of rage...

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27120 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:22 pm

I designed a form for my test-vehicle drivers with a space for every area of the vehicle - engine, gearbox, brakes, steering, suspension, ride etc.
I based the spaces on how many comments had been written on previous reports and stressed that comment was optional rather than compulsory, however the drivers complained that the new form took longer to fill in as they had to rack their brains to think of something to write.