Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#3241 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:05 pm

Slasher wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:53 pm
Rwy in Sight wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:04 pm
I still remember my first visit in a cockpit in 1975 a 727-284 and the stress I went through when its wings were flipping
RiS - go get a long match and bend it. It snaps. Get a long rubber eraser and bend it - it doesn't. Flexible wings flapping around like a crazed duck are stronger structures and very comforting to see them doing so. :)

The last part sank on me after a few flights when I realised it was the normal think to do. Before that I was very very concerned that it would break.

reddo
Capt
Capt

#3242 Post by reddo » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:35 pm

oooh back to work tomorrow. I've been enjoying my week off post LCOT. It's not really work, it's GRT in Lisbon. Then a month's work and back on hols. San Francisco. Never been, should be fun. Had confirmation of my month's LWOP for November 2019. (Leave With Out Pay). Added to that is 2weeks leave in Oc. 6 weeks off. That'll do nicely. Heading to Australia for a decent break.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3243 Post by 4mastacker » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:04 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:00 pm
What are the regs about wood burning stoves and smoke in the UK? I seem to remember a big fuss years ago about smokeless fuel.....................
There's a bit of a faff going on about the impact on the environment and that wood used in burners should be certified fit for use..apparently burning wood which has not been allowed to dry out is going to melt the world's glaciers/cause the demise of the human race or summat like that. The usual lentil-eating, sandal wearing moonhowlers have found another soapbox to jump up and down on.

Anyways, the driver of this Merc is going to have an interesting conversation with his/her insurers.

Steam Loco 1 - Merc 0
It's always my fault - SWMBO

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3244 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:14 pm

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3245 Post by Wodrick » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:05 pm

Evening all,
Just got soaked when the heavens opened half way throuhg the final follow. That'll be more that 2" on the day now.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3246 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:14 pm

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3247 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:24 am

The precise layout of Zurich airport
Child's Play, compared to de Gaulle (CDG)

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#3248 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:28 am

Morning folks. Remote solar monitoring system came up overnight. Probably routine maintenance. 27 degs at dawn 37 forecast. Managed to get on the exercise machine at 06.00 not to bad with a light breeze passing through the tent. Still didn't do too well after 3 weeks off for various reasons. Clear blue skies still no sign of rain. The lawns are suffering. Should water every day day but it is impractical there are other things to attend to. The mole crickets are running amok despite weekly feeds of poison. The horn bills are doing their best to help.

Thanks for the info on smoke regs UK. In Greece on our wood burner we use 3 year old olive wood. Some is now in fact about 10. Very efficient fuel. It will burn green but doesn't half bugger up the stove with gunge.

Don't think I have ever had the misfortune of going into CDG. I used to find LHR quite easy but we frequently operated into there. Also with pax on board we would park south side and they always gave us the southerly runway for arrival and departure. Couldn't get lost. Guess they knew my perchance for this and just wanted to get rid of me.

'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Slasher

#3249 Post by Slasher » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:11 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:05 pm
The last part sank on me after a few flights when I realised it was the normal think to do. Before that I was very very concerned that it would break.
Trust me - you'll break apart before any of the wings do mate! ;)))

On one occasion when flogging through bloody rough wx on the 747 I glanced out the right window and saw the wing as expected flapping around madly like a cut snake - but then I saw that the 2 engines were both wildly bouncing up and down and sideways independently of the wing like a couple of drunk garbage tins! That gave me a 'Far Ark!' moment till the F/E genned me up on what was going on. Still, after that I never looked out at the wing in severe turbulence ever again!

Slasher

#3250 Post by Slasher » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:29 am

1.30pm here and a nice 33C day at the Slasher ranchero.

The plumber crew arrived promptly 7am and they've been going at it since in the kitchen. They've replaced all the meagre plumbery in the basement and we had water in the granny flat after a 30 min wait. The plan is complete everything downstairs today and have upstairs done tomorrow. Our building bloke will come in on Wednesday to patch up all the walls caused by the replacement work - and he'll be paid directly by the plumbing contractor who caused the problem to begin with.

Cheque for damages also accompanied the plumbing crew and we were well satisfied with the amount. Rang the lawyer down in BKK he can call off his dogs.

Moonshine time! 🥃

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3251 Post by Woody » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:47 am

Fitted a wood burner into my rental property, don’t know if the tenant has ever used it, but the next door neighbour has put their tv aerial over the chimney :))

Wx not bad at Perry Oaks International, but tomorrow max 4C with sleet showers :((
Next trip to Somerset West not until Feb :-q
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#3252 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:01 am

Trust me - you'll break apart before any of the wings do mate!
Excuse me if I have posted this before. When the Royal Air Force first got the Tristar the boss of the OCU and the boss of the Squadron decided to go out and play. It had already been decided that there would be no training on auto land, dunno why. They though that they would give it a bash. Forget the fact that BZN ILS was only cat 3. Apparently the flair was calculated on the average rate of decent on the glide slop. They intercepted late and had to take a dirty dive at it. The result was such a hard landing they bounced and the starboard wing came 50 cm away from the fuselage. The spar remained intact. All the inner wing tank fuel pissed out. Fortunately they slammed on go around power otherwise they could have ended up in a fire ball with hot brakes trying to stop. The whole of the local town and all the cars in the car park were covered in fuel. Massive compensations. So RiS, wings can come off. Sorry mate! =)) I inspected the damage. You could easily see the sky through the gap. Guess that's no beer for us in Athens in April.

Just spoken to our Internet guy. He thinks that it is Win10 constantly updating on our already slow system. He remotely stopped the updates and will load all new updates for us in his office on Thursday. It is already a bit better.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3253 Post by OFSO » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:58 am

Roads here closed. Can't head north into France or south towards Girona as road junctions under two metres of water after 250 litres per m2 fell over the weekend and more forecast today. At least no wind blowing.

Sadly the gym is right by Figueras junction so no hope of getting there today or tomorrow. The building has a flat roof. Hmmm.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3254 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:34 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:01 am
Trust me - you'll break apart before any of the wings do mate!
Excuse me if I have posted this before.

You are welcome to do so even if you have done already.

Guess that's no beer for us in Athens in April.

You are wrong. Beers are always available for you.

Slasher

#3255 Post by Slasher » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:02 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:01 am
So RiS, wings can come off. Sorry mate! =)
You realise of course sah you've now psychologically damaged poor ol' RiS forever! :p

RiS I was talking about severe turbulence that jar one's teeth fillings loose whilst in flight. I wasn't referring to controlled smashups into runways by RAF personnel! 😂

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#3256 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:14 am

You realise of course sah you've psychologically damaged poor ol' RiS forever! :p
What we need to do Capt is next time turbulence is forecast for his flight we need to ensure he is seated next to a very well endowed lady. He will be so busy watching them bounce up and down he will completely forget about the wings. =)) Never know they may even bounce out of the bra, if she is wearing one.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3257 Post by Wodrick » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:43 am

Morning all,

Now it's a bright scattered day, overnight there was another inch of rain. so it's a bit muddy underfoot.

W10 updates are a pain, need to set things so it advises you they are ready and then you are in command and you can download and install when it suits, usually overnight.

Caution Aviation content.

L1011 was interesting too, it didn't flare in autoland, it tracked the glideslope at it's touchdown angle controlling altitude with the spoilers. Difficult to find one to watch these days but think back it came down thw slope at a constant, nose high, attitude.
Lockheed called it DLC, direct lift control.
Worked for them.

Found this:

See wot I mean.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3258 Post by Ibbie » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:48 am

Morning.

After another night of torential rain, we are back to blue sky with some cloud.
Wx not bad at Perry Oaks International, but tomorrow max 4C with sleet showers
Woody.
I know now who to hold responsible tomorrow morning at 08.20 when I get off the plane at Gatport, if a freeze my bits off.

Slasher

#3259 Post by Slasher » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:10 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:14 am
What we need to do Capt is next time turbulence is forecast for his flight we need to ensure he is seated next to a very well endowed lady. He will be so busy watching them bounce up and down he will completely forget about the wings. =)) Never know they may even bounce out of the bra, if she is wearing one.
I do agree sah. The Watching Boobs Merrily Bounce technique is a sure fire way to divert one's attention and thus a cure for all forms of nervousness! ;)))

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3260 Post by ian16th » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:17 am

4mastacker wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:04 pm

Anyways, the driver of this Merc is going to have an interesting conversation with his/her insurers.

Steam Loco 1 - Merc 0
Doesn't seem to be much damage.......................
...................................... to the loco!
Cynicism improves with age