The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt
Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#3261 Post by larsssnowpharter » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:20 am

Lovely day here yesterday and made the most of it with a long hike with the Black Bitch.

Warning aviation content.

Recall hearing the the Shackleton had a 25 ft arc at wingtips for wing flex.
Once flew a glider (Janus IIRC) in Oz and was told that it was rigged with strain gauges and stuff by a university to measure wing flex and had been put on a rig where each wing had been flexed to 45 degrees! Amazing stuff carbon fibre.
The bendiest ever experienced personally was in an Ash 25 in rotor. Suffice to say it was a lot.😅

Capetonian

#3262 Post by Capetonian » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:33 am

I was on an A320 once over the Alps in turbulence (catastrophic, according to the hysterical female next to me) but there was visible wing flexing up and down, more than one is used to seeing. The Captain mentioned this and explained that the flexing was about 30% of the safe design limits.

This is an interesting little video. Sorry about the Frog accent :

izod tester
Capt
Capt

#3263 Post by izod tester » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:05 pm

When the infra-red linescan system destined for the RAF Phantom recce pod was fitted to a Comet at Boscombe Down they noted some unexpected errors during initial tests. It turned out the errors were due to the Comet fuselage flexing around the wing attachment box. There was up to 11ft movement of the tail relative to the static alignment. That was whilst I was working on 216 Sqn Comets. Some years later and I had moved on to working with the Skynet system, there was another trial at Boscombe Down to see if they could fit a Satcom Antenna in the old esm fairing on top of the fin of a Nimrod. They had forgotten about the flex discovered during the linescan trials and were puzzled about why they had so much difficulty aquiring the satellite until I suggested they might have better results fitting the satcom antenna immediately about the centre of flex of the fuselage.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3264 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:51 pm

Aviation content....Apologies for continuing the wing bending theme but maybe not many of you f/w guys will want to get in a helicopter when you see how much our 'wings' flex in just 2 revolutions.......
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3265 Post by Woody » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:38 pm

An angry resident put a note on a police car parked during an emergency saying: "This is private parking!"
When officers explained why their car was in a residents' parking bay, the writer of the note said: "I don't care - it's not my emergency."
Officers from the Surrey force said on Facebook: "We apologise for our inconsiderate parking during a potentially life or death situation."
They were dealing with a suspected assault in Horley at the time.
A spokesman from Reigate and Banstead police said: "Unfortunately the officers parked in a resident's bay in a rush to get into an address.
"When the officers finished at the address and spoke to the person who put the note on their car, they explained they were responding to an emergency."
The Facebook post has been shared more than 800 times and has more than 1,000 comments.
Mike Howell said: "Total lack of respect for the emergency services. Bet whoever placed this note required police officers asap, they sure wouldn't mind if police parked in their front garden. Complete and utter idiot!!!"
I bet the guy who wrote this note is a Brexiteer =))
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Capetonian

#3266 Post by Capetonian » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:52 pm

I bet the guy who wrote this note is a Brexiteer
Why?
I am a Brexiteer and I would not dream of writing such a note.
I don't think that boorish and moronic behaviour is allied to any particular political grouping.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3267 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:02 pm

Yeah but yeah but,....

I bet she's a Daily Mail reader.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3268 Post by OFSO » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:35 pm

I bet the person who wrote the note is that man who indulged in sex in front of lions....

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3269 Post by Woody » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:47 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:52 pm
I bet the guy who wrote this note is a Brexiteer
Why?
I am a Brexiteer and I would not dream of writing such a note.
I don't think that boorish and moronic behaviour is allied to any particular political grouping.
Image :D

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#3270 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:06 pm

We are on the edge of a thunderstorm. Bet it doesn't hit us.

Just been up to the safari camp. Their guests are told to stay seated with seat belts fastened when the truck is moving There are even notices above each seat stating this. On Saturday miles from civilisation they had a stupid woman walk to her locker at the back to get her camera. The truck swerved around a lot hole and she was thrown through a side window. Seriously injured. The managment here went into overdrive to get her evacuated. Now in intensive care in Johanasberg. The group are now complaining that they didn't rush to them with councillors. Way beyond their remit they have got councilers in to talk to them here tomorrow. We are going for the laugh. I offered to do it but my offer was turned down. Bugger.

They have to board up the window. I suggested that they should cut out a woman shaped hole in the middle of it.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3271 Post by Ibbie » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:37 pm

that man who indulged in sex in front of lions....
Which Lions club was that, OFSO?

Bags packed ready for silly o'clock departure to Pablo's.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3272 Post by Woody » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:08 pm

Better pack a jumper :D

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3273 Post by Woody » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:39 pm

Thanks for this from the scientific community :YMHUG:
Scientists say they have uncovered how and why wombats produce cube-shaped poo - the only known species to do so.
The Australian marsupial can pass up to 100 deposits of poop a night and they use the piles to mark territory. The shape helps it stop rolling away.
Despite having round anuses like other mammals, wombats do not produce round pellets, tubular coils or messy piles.
Researchers revealed on Sunday the varied elasticity of the intestines help to sculpt the poop into cubes.
"The first thing that drove me to this is that I have never seen anything this weird in biology. That was a mystery," Georgia Institute of Technology's Patricia Yang said.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3274 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:51 pm

Slasher wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:10 am
Ex-Ascot wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:14 am
What we need to do Capt is next time turbulence is forecast for his flight we need to ensure he is seated next to a very well endowed lady. He will be so busy watching them bounce up and down he will completely forget about the wings. =)) Never know they may even bounce out of the bra, if she is wearing one.
I do agree sah. The Watching Boobs Merrily Bounce technique is a sure fire way to divert one's attention and thus a cure for all forms of nervousness! ;)))
The last time I was nervous in turbulence was back in 2009 when a well endowed lady rejected me before she become an ex. Another short flight cured the fear for good. Ex A has my respect for finding my favourite activity during flight - if I was not successful to visit the cockpit.

As far as turbulence in concerned on the ground I mutter to my self the words turbulence on the approach when I see the breasts of a lady jiggling as she moves around in front of me. A house mate in Coventry even taught me how to look without arousing suspicion but discussing the procedure with some lady friends made clear it is a lame technique.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3275 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:54 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:06 pm
. I offered to do it but my offer was turned down. Bugger.

Correct, the guests don't want to pay extra for a laugh.

I can only imagine what it would be said.

Capetonian

#3276 Post by Capetonian » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:40 pm

when I see the breasts of a lady jiggling as she moves around in front of me. A house mate in Coventry even taught me how to look without arousing suspicion but discussing the procedure with some lady friends made clear it is a lame technique.
When it comes to such matters women are a million times smarter than men. It's a primaeval evolutionary defence technique.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3277 Post by OFSO » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:50 pm

The Lions Club I support has members, so to speak, whom one would think a bit too old for rogering in view of lions, or anyone else.....

Some years ago while wandering in the mountains in winter I spotted bear tracks in the snow. I was advised by a hunter that one thing that really annoys bears is the sight and sound of humans engaged in sexual coitus. I answered that if I encountered a bear on a mountain path, having a bunk-up would be the last thing on my mind. Fouling my breeches more like, which would doubtless annoy the bear even more.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3278 Post by Magnus » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:51 pm

Thanks for that, Woody. Little bludgers will rip your suspension out should you be unfortunate enough to hit one. Low COG. A horse or a stag will write your car off as they come through the windscreen and leave the contents of their digestive system all over the place. A 'roo leaves you with a dented front end, but at least the damage is repairable. However, at 3am when you're driving home after a late night callout, having a 100kilo grey jump out in front of you tends to leave the contents of YOUR digestive system all over the place.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3279 Post by ricardian » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:02 pm

Magnus wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:51 pm
Thanks for that, Woody. Little bludgers will rip your suspension out should you be unfortunate enough to hit one. Low COG. A horse or a stag will write your car off as they come through the windscreen and leave the contents of their digestive system all over the place. A 'roo leaves you with a dented front end, but at least the damage is repairable. However, at 3am when you're driving home after a late night callout, having a 100kilo grey jump out in front of you tends to leave the contents of YOUR digestive system all over the place.
I had an RAF boss who had his solid old Rover 90 written off after a high-speed collision with an owl which entered through one of the car's headlights, travelled through the engine compartment and emerged through the dashboard, scattering bits of owl & dashboard over the car's interior.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3280 Post by Ibbie » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:26 am

Coffee time at Pablos