The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
Slasher

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#4861 Post by Slasher » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:45 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:59 am
Our teenager hippo has not been in front of the estate for a few days he popped up to say hello about 1/2 km up river.
I can see why he decided to move up river. He was probly hoarse from yelling "SHUTUP THAT BLOODY JUNGLE BUNNY MUSIC!"

IMG_1204.JPG

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4862 Post by om15 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:37 am

Today is officially the most miserable day of the year. It gets better from now on.
Grey, wet, cold and dull today, intend to brighten the day by painting my shed with sadolin and digging in compost to the rose bed.

Slasher

#4863 Post by Slasher » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:09 am

1600 o' clock pm here. Present local wx info is a breezy Soweaster, blue sky and 31C. I see HFreetown and Cacoville are ice cubicles at 2 C and zilch respectively, with Caco's house shrouded in fog. Beautiful downtown 'Ma Woon' is currently spruking 27C which is bearable for poolside beer drinking at the Manor.

Major clusterf***ing has been going on here the past coupla days resulting in large spreads of sub-clusterf**ks. Won't go into too much detail but we had a water mains pipe burst early yesterday morning about a click down the road resulting in no water until about 2 hours ago. I switched over to the water tank only to find there's of course no water in the damn thing because we're in the Dry season. Two dead pigeons weren't found neither. I'm thinking' of building a permanent lagoon as a future water emergency resource and sticking a hippo in it with a croc for good measure.

What little we did get out of the damn tank was used for bathing. Ap washed first then the little bloke. When it was my turn I got about 5 drops worth. Thus I stank for most of the day because I had come back from my hour's run at dawn and discovered the water off when I got home so I was all sweaty and smelly. This meant I was unable to attend a kiss-and-make-up brekky meet with friends in town (whom we had a bit of a barney with earlier this week) because I stank like a dunny on a fishing trawler. In turn, Apsara had to cancel the chowdown as she didn't want to go with just the kid. The friends decided they'd drive out to our joint with brekky takeout. We had to say no because we had no water at all and I smelt to high heaven. This caused some consternation with our friends as they thought we were trying to purposefully avoid them. So it was decided Apsara would go meet them while I took 3 jerry cans to get water with the little bloke in tow.

But I'd need to take Maddie to do that and Ap doesn't know how to ride Brutus. So I had no choice but to stay home till she came back. When Ap got there my absence was noted and a lot of Thai arguing apparently ensued. Finally Ap rang me and I spoke to the couple directly but they wouldn't buy it, as I was the major wrestler in the aforementioned barney event earlier. Thus the feud continued.

When she did get back it was discovered the front right tyre of Maddie had a slow leak! So I had to change the spare which further caused my stench level to rise higher on the body odour Richter scale. Plus I had filthy hands as the rags didn't help much.

The spare looked good enough to drive into town and get the flat fixed as well as fill up the jerrys. When I got to our station and found the repair guy was away as he had Sunday off. In my best Thai told the owner if he gave me the tools I'll have a crack fixing and refitting the flat. No can do he said as the bugger locked away his tooling and won't be back till next day at about 9am. I filled the jerry cans up after I checked the spare and determined it was good enough to get me home.

On arrival I washed meself and after I emptied water into a bucket with me squatting as Ap tipped water over me. After stinking like rotting fish and sewerage all morning it was a welcome relief! She then gave me a sniff test and declared I'm ok to join the rest of Humanity.

Lunch time! And who suddenly rolls up? Why the friends of course! They decided the argument earlier was not worth fighting over so they bought some lunch and came over for a pow wow sesh. My lovely odour of aftershave and lilac soap was noted and a lot of yelling in Thai then started up with them accusing me and Ap of conspiring to not meet them in the morning. After the dust settled doors were slammed shut and they left in a huff with bad kharma permeating the Slasher abode

A lot of other sh!t happened yesterday and and last night but I'm done typing for now. Suffice to say a lot of fallout can occur when a water mains springs a leak. 🙄

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#4864 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:03 am

Yep Capt you need a lagoon. Re. Harry he was actually right by where the Jungle Bunny noise is coming from. Maybe he likes it.

It is nice being off grid. Enormous problems in town with no power for 4 days just now like no ice. Sometimes they have no water so in a pub you can't inspect the plumbing and I hate to think what they do about washing up. As long as the sun is shining we have power to pump the pool filtration system and fill the water tanks. Situation just now below. The sun is passing overhead at the mo so all pumps off, top up the battery and start again tomorrow. Obviously we have generator backup but using that is loss of professional pride. Bit like using the spoilers on an approach except when under Greek ATC. Sorry RiS but at the old airport they were crap.

Edit, actually the sun is right above us today heading north for you poor frozen folk up there.
Attachments
Solar.jpg
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Slasher

#4865 Post by Slasher » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:00 pm

Just when I thought the Surfin' Bird era was well and truly over....

....it's now this! 😱

Yep - this is now Apsara's favorite tune. She sings it in the shower, hums it when she's waiting for something, it's on the small kitchen TV (permanently welded to the cable Thai Channel), has it on USB in her car, and even drags out the little bloke to dance with her to it in the lounge room just like she did with Surfin'!

Trouble is...

It's catchy buggerit! After a week of constantly hearing it I've even found myself singin' it under me breath! 🙄

I've tried listening to Joan Jett faves to get it out of me head but the Force is too great Luke!

Can anyone recommend...a good cure doo doo doo doo doo doo?

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4866 Post by Ibbie » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:15 pm

G'day.
Another early start today for a morning at the hospital. Then had a visit to my GP after.

Visits to hospital should deminish now I am off Sintrom and on Pradaxa, which is simply two capsuls per day with no monitoring.

Celebrated by calling in Dunnes Stores and purchasing two polo shirts on way home.

Lovely sunny day on the Costa.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4867 Post by OFSO » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:00 pm

Slash, Baby Shark has infected us since little Grace, two yesterday, started singing it at Christmas. We now have it on the phones, exercise video, car USB, EVERYWHERE.
Grandpa Shark, da da da da.... Bores into ya brain...

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4868 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:35 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:03 am
. Bit like using the spoilers on an approach except when under Greek ATC. Sorry RiS but at the old airport they were crap.
They were just trying to make the situation more interesting.

I had a dentist appointment this morning so I am up since 7 am and getting tired

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#4869 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:56 pm

RiS good of your chaps to make things exciting.

Plan to exit tomorrow's official bash early sorted. The manageress of the safari camp we are going with is about 20 months pregnant so we are going to claim labour pains. Buckets of hot water and towels required. Exit left.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Slasher

#4870 Post by Slasher » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:13 pm

OFSO wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:00 pm
Slash, Baby Shark has infected us since little Grace, two yesterday, started singing it at Christmas. We now have it on the phones, exercise video, car USB, EVERYWHERE.
Grandpa Shark, da da da da.... Bores into ya brain...
I think it's the "mummy" in her that's causing Ap to be addicted to it. She's been hinting at going back the plumbing shop to get her tubes reversed this time. I think she's starting to want a daught.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#4871 Post by jimtherev » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:10 am

Great rejoicing in the Jim household this evening. Mrs J had her six-week apt with the hips man earlier who has confiscated her crutches and said 'see you in a year'! Yippee. Happiness from her at resumed freedom to drive, shop, lunch etc, and from me at not being required to chauff or shop. Or worst of all put on her creation-of-old-nick support stockings. Did me arthritic thumbs no good at all.

Freeeeeeeeeeeee at last!

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4872 Post by Alisoncc » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:21 am

Good news Jim. Congratulations all round.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4873 Post by llondel » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:15 am

Evening all, fairly mild and dry out at the moment. Imminent plumbing job required here, the sump pump has seized, so I get to stick my head down a deep hole to disconnect it from the pipework, haul it up and then get the replacement into place. Hopefully there won't be too much rain before next weekend, and things will stay dry. I do have an emergency 12V pump (bought to protect against Murphy causing a power cut in very wet conditions) if all else fails.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#4874 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:37 am

Congrats Reverend. Morning folks. Weather standard issue officer for the use of. Our chap up tall ladder sorting palms out. They have absolutely no sense of safety, he is going to fall off it. Now he has just this second come across a hornets nest.

Off to the official function later. Just read the invitation. Apparently we are installing a new arbitrator in a little settlement within our 'parish' which has just been put under our chief's command. We think we know where we are going. Having a few breakfast beers to prepare then have to press the suit.

Oh God, he is now up the ladder which is almost vertical. If he leans back one inch it will fall.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4875 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:52 am

Ice, ice baby! Two degrees but freezing on the ground.

Likelihood of some snow showers today. All in all totally uninspiring.

EGSS 220456Z 2206/2312 26008KT 9999 SCT025 PROB30 TEMPO 2206/2210 8000 BKN008 TEMPO 2214/2220 3000 SHRASN BKN005 PROB30 TEMPO 2214/2220 0800 SHSN BKN002 PROB40 TEMPO 2300/2309 BKN009 BECMG 2303/2306 32010KT

Happy to report that the water and electricity supply are working. We here in the UK must take whatever solace we can get in these trying times.

That hippo photograph above is most excellent.

Caco

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4876 Post by OFSO » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:49 am

Bitterly cold in N E Spain and forecast is for getting colder with four to five days of Tramontana peaking at force nine on Thursday/Friday. Flays the skin off your bones.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4877 Post by Woody » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:43 am

Less than two weeks to survive, before hitting the beach :-bd
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4878 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:47 am

Woody wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:43 am

Less than two weeks to survive, before hitting the beach :-bd
Like you Woody, I can't wait! :-bd

You must give me your address so we can have lunch on a sun splashed patio somewhere!

Caco

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4879 Post by OFSO » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:03 am

2° here in Spain also. Glorious sun but deceptive.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4880 Post by 4mastacker » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:28 am

I thought I recognised Cap'n Slasher's photo. It's one of the panellists on last week's BBC Question Time.

Slight frost hereabouts , and that bloody moggy has cr@pped on me front lawn again. ~X(
It's always my fault - SWMBO