The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

General Chit Chat
jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#8441 Post by jimtherev » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:40 pm

Been sitting here thinking that we've heard nothing this year about the Ex-As's house-sitting arrangements.
Have you found a perfect solution this year, honoured Sir, or are you working on the 'out of sight, out of mind' principle?

Slasher

#8442 Post by Slasher » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:50 am

jimtherev wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:40 pm
Been sitting here thinking that we've heard nothing this year about the Ex-As's house-sitting arrangements.
Bloody freezing at the Ascot Manor & Gardens reverend. Hope whoever's there minding the store have an anorak and snow boots on. Brrrr!

FBMN 160300Z 11006KT CAVOK 10/03 Q1025

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#8443 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:26 am

Morning folks also a chilly wind here but not that chilly Capt. Reverend we are completely fed up with house sitters but it can't be just left it would get stripped that includes bathroom fittings etc. The gardener is staying in the guest accommodation and the housekeeper is going in three mornings a week as usual. Our friends the managers of the safari camp up river are checking on them, paying them and getting in anything they need such as fuel. They volunteered before we asked. So far so good. One month to go.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8444 Post by OFSO » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:43 am

Lots of squatters here too. They order pizzas for days in advance delivered to your address (but intercepted) to 'prove' they live in your house. Then when you leave for a week or two, professional team breaks in, fits new locks, hands keys to squatters. I've been told this costs around €1500. Squatters have 'Rights' and if you go to police it takes five to seven years under the Spanish system to get your property back. During this time the house owner must provide electricity, gas, and water and pay all the taxes. I've been told to never report squatters to police. Use alternative methods.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8445 Post by Ibbie » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:18 am

Morning all.

Bit more cloud about this morning. Presently 22c. Yesterday we reached 31c.

Pleasant walking in the campo earlier.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8446 Post by OFSO » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:35 am

Lovely here also. Been out finishing off water pipe installation, then spraying cavity wall with ant killer, and then filling hairline surface cracks on terrace that appear every five or six years. House ready for sale, if there were any buyers, which there aren't. Rentals down one third for July and August, we've been told.

Off for Sunday expat lunch. English, Belgian and Germans known to be coming. Possibly one ZA...

Slasher

#8447 Post by Slasher » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:39 am

OFSO wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:43 am
That's terrible mate. What 'alternative methods' can be used against those parasites?

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:26 am
we are completely fed up with house sitters
Me and Apsara as you know were seriously considering babysitting your house sah, but the realities of both her and my work prohibited staying there for any length of appreciable time. A week at the Manor would've been absolute max.

The icy overnight wx wouldn'tve helped but a coupla lecky blankys would've sufficed if the solar system batteries could've coped (via a static inverter of sorts).

The Chair appears not to have the same fame (and notoriety) it had last year. Is the new Chair just not the same?

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8448 Post by 4mastacker » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:43 am

One will attempt to mow the south lawn today, however the lavender bushes will remain untouched as the bees are very busy.

Pity the poor folks over at Wainfleet - its a bit of a disaster over there.

Even on me canal the water levels are right up and the water has been topping the banks. This is the temporary by-wash around me lock restoration project - normally it's just a trickle.
Screenshot 2019-06-16 at 09.38.54.png
Screenshot 2019-06-16 at 09.38.54.png (543.79 KiB) Viewed 289 times
It's always my fault - SWMBO

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8449 Post by handsfree » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:47 am

Sunday lunch prep'ed for later - herb stuffed trout.
A couple of hours in the local before that watching all the daddies being stung for Sunday lunch
by their tribe.

It started off as a very pleasant morning but looks as if it is going downhill now. Rain likely.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8450 Post by Wodrick » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:48 am

Morning,
Same 22, think the Colonials would call it broken, certainly heavier cover than scattered, it'll go.
Only made 26 here yesterday, there was a cool breeze off the sea.

Looks like a normal Sunday I am dispatched to the Garden Centre for products various. Dunno why she cannae plan and send me in the week.
It will be Ram Jam Full today.

Looks like I missed yesterday.

I'm not aware of squatters locally but know that "alternative methods" other than the law are the way to go.
You go down the local with a few € find some big lads and send them to persuade the squatters than they would rather be elsewhere.
Change the locks.

Spanish squatter's rights are insane.

Congrats to Stronsay

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8451 Post by 4mastacker » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:58 am

ricardian wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:44 pm
Have just heard that Stronsay triumphed yet again in the tug-of-war which is the traditional finale of the annual North Isle Sports Day. This year participants from Stronsay, Sanday, Papa Westray, Eday & North Ronaldsay travelled via Orkney Ferries (with an amended timetable) to & from Westray. I think that it's Stronsay's turn to host the event in a couple of years time.
Do you have the same rules as the Eurovision Song Contest - winner hosts the next event? I should think your gathering is much more enjoyable.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8452 Post by ian16th » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:21 am

Of to the SAAFA lunch, that marvellous Saffer invention a 'Bring & Braii'.

One drinks while burning meat o:-)
Cynicism improves with age

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#8453 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:03 am

Capt it is a large 220 v system but it would have to be massive to run electric blankets at night. We have 8 panels some luxury camps have 200 and the best you get is a hot water bottle. Running a heating element at night drains the batteries very quickly. The idea with solar is to do everything essential, bore hole and pool pumps etc during the day directly from solar and only use the battery at night for fridge, lights etc. The inverter it's self takes power from the batteries at night.

Have good Sunday lunches everyone ours is a fish stew.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8454 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:15 am

4M, worked at Wainfleet for 10 years. Driving to work I would cross two sea banks (15th C and 1910) until I reached the 1947 with the 1978 beyond that.

Nearer Gibraltar Point all the sea banks butted up to the Steeping bank which was tidal but nowhere near as robust as the sea banks.

Looking at the drone video it was clear that the town centre, cemetery etc were built on 'high' ground and the new builds in the bordering fields were the ones suffering.

Slasher

#8455 Post by Slasher » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:25 am

Gotcha sah. Thanks.

Blah day today as it's a day off, so just being a burden on Hong Kong society. No work till tomorrow evening. I'm supposed to have 2 kids then but it like looks like the Planner missed a sesh they should've already done - Performance. This is a classroom-only thing of 2 x 2 intensive hours including the test

Trying to teach someone Airbus performance is like trying to teach a dog how to fill in an American tax return. Go here then go there and take that figure and go here then calculate that from step 1 then take it back to step 3 and apply that then go here to obtain that figure you needed in step 4 then go to Fig 8 and note the VMCG speed. Then go to step 5 and add the coefficients to obtain your raw V1. Now then, this V1 has to be adjusted by going to step 7....

Believe me it's not easy on either side of the student desk so I'm sure to get lumbered with it. 🙄

As a 747 F/O I could have all your T/O ref speeds and derates on a snowy runway in Basil in a minute flat. This was because Boeing uses the KISS principle.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#8456 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:44 am

Our 1st performance lecture on the A300 was by the chief pilot wearing suit and tie with flies undone. He kept sticking his hands in his pockets stretching open the gap. No one would tell him apart from a frog on the course. No idea how he got there.

Didn't find it too difficult after the VC10.

So check flies Capt.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8457 Post by 4mastacker » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:38 pm

Somebody not paid the lecky bill?

That's a lot of folk affected.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8458 Post by ian16th » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:33 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:15 am
4M, worked at Wainfleet for 10 years.
Wot did you do to upset officialdom?

I knew an Air Radio Fitter that spent about a year there, looking after their VHF sets. He'd been sent there as a punishment!
Cynicism improves with age

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8459 Post by Undried Plum » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:33 pm

Oops. Double post, undeletable.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8460 Post by Undried Plum » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:34 pm

4mastacker wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:38 pm
Somebody not paid the lecky bill?

That's a lot of folk affected.
An astonishing example of a cascading failure. Astonishing in its geographical reach.

Incidentally, also an example of why an over-reaching dependence on centralised generation and distribution of power is intrinsically a Bad Thing.