Last two letters start the next word v2.

General Chit Chat
Slasher

Re: Last two letters start the next word v2.

#281 Post by Slasher » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:06 pm

An older bugger like me enjoys goin' downa pub! :) 🍻

603DX
Capt
Capt

#282 Post by 603DX » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:28 pm

It can erode a new pub relationship if you discover your companion has deep pockets but short arms, when it's time to pay for the next round ... :-q

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#283 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:52 am

Demob Happy; experienced the euphoria of the last few days in a job a few times. :D

Todays millenials/snowflakes probably think that the term only refers to a pop group; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demob_Happy :ymsigh:
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

Slasher

#284 Post by Slasher » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:50 pm

Jocelyn Pye - my first love in primary school. Grade 4 to be exact. Ah...now THERE was a beautiful woman! I think she had a tinge of Asian genery. Dark brunette hair, soft comforting voice, exotic brown eyes, pouting lips and a darling figure. 😍

I discovered the beauty of women at age 8 even though all me mates my age hated girls. Jossie was 6 months older than me. We held hands a lot when out of sight of our mates and even did some canoodling in grade 6. Lost track of her after we went to separate high schools. :ymsigh:

603DX
Capt
Capt

#285 Post by 603DX » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:00 pm

The yen for girls was rather slower to develop for me, than for Slash. I was 14, and was waylaid on my journey to school by a very precocious Convent School girl, who decided that I was to be her boy friend, no ifs or buts about it. I was educated by her in the tactics of feminine wiles whether I liked it or not, and my enthusiasm for building and flying model aircraft began to fade. My Boy Scout uniform, with its wide-brimmed Baden Powell hat, shorts, woggle and scarf, immediately became an unacceptable embarrassment in her worldly eyes, so it was goodbye to that as well. Thankfully, a growing dislike of being manipulated in everything proved my salvation, and she went off to pastures new with another unwitting victim ... #:-S

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#286 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:24 pm

Enigma machine; invented by the krauts at the end of WWI. Still used during WWII but unfortunately for the Axis powers the boffins at Bletchley Park broke the Enigma code to the advantage of the Allies. :D

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enigma_machine :-B

603DX
Capt
Capt

#287 Post by 603DX » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:01 pm

Malapropism - a slight error of speech or writing, whereby a word is used which seems almost correct, but actually means either something quite different, or is a mixture of other words - often making people laugh.

I once worked on a construction project with an elderly Clerk of Works who was sometimes afflicted with this. He was a really nice guy, liked by everyone, and at the formal site meetings he would try very hard to use technical language in discussions on progress, workmanship, materials problems etc, but fail hilariously. A typical example was the durability of external facing bricks being delivered to site. "I fear that these bricks will suffer from disinterrogation" he announced during one heated exchange of views between the architect and the contractor, and around the table several suppressed giggles occurred. No one wanted to hurt his feelings by correcting him, so from then onwards at the weekly meetings, whenever the subject of brick quality was raised, and their "disinterrogation" tendency was mentioned by him several times, a series of stifled titters would go around the room. Mrs Malaprop from Sheridan's "The Rivals" would have been proud of him ... :D :YMAPPLAUSE:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malapropism

Slasher

#288 Post by Slasher » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:49 am

Smooth - what my landings usually were.

Most times not enough 'o's in the word to describe 'em. 😌

...but sometimes too many. 😖

Opsboi
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#289 Post by Opsboi » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:35 am

Thorax - a chest containing a mythical weapon

Capetonian

#290 Post by Capetonian » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:17 am

AXE : should be used on most politicians.

603DX
Capt
Capt

#291 Post by 603DX » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:59 am

Xerces - king of Persia and son of Darius, around 480 BC. He liked to be called "King of Kings", and genuinely believed himself to be divine. But then so did Tony Blair, and who loves him nowadays? =))

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#292 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:04 pm

This is where the nearest Esso garage is from home; https://www.google.com/search?q=esso+ne ... e&ie=UTF-8 :D

Capetonian

#293 Post by Capetonian » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:39 pm

SOMETIMES the Internet can be very misleading. According to Ex-A's link above his nearest petrol station is in Hersham.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#294 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:48 pm

Espy to catch sight of. :)

Capetonian, in my post above I didn't specify who's home ;))) I agree that Giggle is damned clever though. :D

Slasher

#295 Post by Slasher » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:15 pm

Pyromance - what a couple of loving arsonists might start.

603DX
Capt
Capt

#296 Post by 603DX » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:57 pm

Cetacean - a marine mammal (i.e. NOT a fish), such as whales, dolphins and porpoises. If the French and others of a similar mind are going to profit from our current chaotic 'Brexit' situation by plundering our waters even more, for real fish like cod, plaice, haddock etc., then the traditional dish of fish and chips might be at risk. I wonder what deep-fried cetacean and chips taste like? Think how many helpings might be obtained from even a modest-sized whale ... ;))) :ymsick:

Slasher

#297 Post by Slasher » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:18 pm

Ancestor - the furtherest (but unconfirmed) record of mine was a Norse Viking in the early 1100s. He apparently buggered around in the Mediterranean which is kinda weird because I didn't think they ventured that far South. Whether he raped and pillaged I dunno, but me underlying genes say he probly did. :ymdevil:

603DX
Capt
Capt

#298 Post by 603DX » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:36 pm

Oral - the route by which doctors should explain that prescribed analgesic tablets are meant to be taken, NOT by the means that their name seems to suggest. (Unless the patient is a bit of a pain in the bum, when no explanation is needed.) :D

Opsboi
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#299 Post by Opsboi » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:01 pm

Albumen - collectors of egg whites

603DX
Capt
Capt

#300 Post by 603DX » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:11 pm

"No enchiladas in the icebox, and the television's broke ..." is what Rosita sang to Speedy Gonzales in an attempt to get him away from the bar in Tannery Row. Not the most tempting way to lure her man back home ... :-q