Rant of the Day v2.

General Chit Chat
Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#1981 Post by Stoneboat » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:59 pm

.. so there is a team of dwarf beavers who operate a treadmill.
Probably related to the pr!ck who felled a tree for his dam across a crick sixty miles west of here last Thursday. The tree fell across the fibre optic cable that delivers high speed internet and TV service for about ten thousand customers between there and the end of the line. Took eighteen hours to fix.
Isn't Telefunken now Turkish owned?
Dunno about Telefunken, but Bosch home appliances are made in Mexico for the Canadian market.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1982 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:40 am

P.N.

Both examples ... grab a passing 5 year old. Only children can open childproof packaging

Slasher

#1983 Post by Slasher » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:57 am

True. I get our 10yo to open medication because me and Ap can't do it without having to smash the bottle.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1984 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:26 am

Sun 5th. PDST

My son just left after a weekend business trip to L.A. and incidentally to see us ! A pleasant interlude. I travelled to LAX with him to see him off, but of course had to bid farewell at the first barrier to those not travelling, where a TSA Jobsworth was looking at boarding cards and passports and allowing those carrying same to proceed and the rest of us to do something else (implied obscenity deleted ).

After my son the next in line was a black cotton (apparently) sack wearing sunglasses. To wit ... "something" presumably human, tho' it might have been a robot ? Ostensibly, one presumed, a female of Moslem persuasion, but I have never seen one so completely encased in black covering, head to toes, even shoes not visible, and if indeed there was a slot to allow eyes to be seen, it was covered by sunglasses.,

The Jobsworth did not even ask for the sunglasses to be removed, just glanced at the passport and waved whatever was in the sack through, unbelievable, but then maybe the passport photo was of a black sack wearing sunglasses ?

Bear in mind this is not a Racist rant, "something", Moslem, Jew, Christian, Galvanised Baptist, Male, Female, Criminal, Terrorist possibly armed, was passed through the checkpoint unchallenged.

To make my journey easier at the end of the month, I'm going shopping for a large black sack, I already have the sunglasses.

Rest assured, the TSA is guarding America.

Slasher

#1985 Post by Slasher » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:06 am

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:26 am
To make my journey easier at the end of the month, I'm going shopping for a large black sack, I already have the sunglasses.
Don't forget to show us a pic of you dressed head to toe as a female raghead mate!

I'll save it to my "captains I once flew with" album. =))

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1986 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:07 am

ExSp, even Muslim countries, Algeria I think, do not permit face covering in public buildings.

Regarding some one wearing clothes usually identified with a particular religion (I quote), a friend a regular visitor entered the US with a finger in a plaster. "What's with the plaster?". " Cut myself? :) " [prat]. Friend thought he was going to be strip searched!

Capetonian

#1987 Post by Capetonian » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:34 am

RH.png
RH.png (266.95 KiB) Viewed 383 times
What's the point?

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1988 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:36 am

I wanted to post it but I don't have it in in English a picture with two women in full black clothing and two black plastic garbage bags. The ladies are saying "I see a rubbish track coming shall we cross the road?"

Believe it or not they have provided an ID picture with the face full cover for visa issue in the Kingdom.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#1989 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:23 pm

Just had a phone call from the police in town. The DPP have decided not to prosecute the gorilla who beat me up in December because his girl friend said we are against him as we do not like her and I made up the story. She was not a witness she wasn't there even though she was shouting at him to stop from a few metres away. And, the DPP say that I am of questionable credibility.

Behind these words read, I am white he is black, he is a citizen (now, don't think he was when he attacked me) I am a resident. He is young and poor, I am old and rich. F....ing NRs. Copper was very pleasant and invited me to go and meet him and discuss it. No point. I will go and see the chief and tell him about this. He will not be happy.

To be honest I can't be arsed to go to court. He will do prison time then come back and torch our house. He is currently keeping his head down, this is the best thing.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1990 Post by OFSO » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:37 pm

Bloody internet. Showing red on all the phones and devices this morning, but the 4G Huawei box showing all the greens. No internet connection. I went off to the gym followed by retina doctor, couldn't get thru to the wife all morning. Came home, internet still off. Still all greens on the Chinese devil-box.

.Could not find reset button so pulled the plug, waited a few nanominutes, plugged it in, all greens again as before, but internet back as needed, so phones,CCTV system, 'landline' and TV working again.

Pulling the plug is the electronic equivalent of a kick up the arse.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1991 Post by ian16th » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:02 pm

OFSO wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:37 pm
Bloody internet. Showing red on all the phones and devices this morning, but the 4G Huawei box showing all the greens. No internet connection. I went off to the gym followed by retina doctor, couldn't get thru to the wife all morning. Came home, internet still off. Still all greens on the Chinese devil-box.

.Could not find reset button so pulled the plug, waited a few nanominutes, plugged it in, all greens again as before, but internet back as needed, so phones,CCTV system, 'landline' and TV working again.

Pulling the plug is the electronic equivalent of a kick up the arse.
BRS! = Big Red Switch.
Cynicism improves with age

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1992 Post by OFSO » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:14 pm

No reset button As Such. Just an orifice into which one pokes a long thin object and waggles it about a bit. It's alongside the plug for the low-voltage DC in, which is a lot easier to remove and insert.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1993 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:25 pm

Daughter, just starting at a new school was in last two days preparing for the next term.

The staff room looked as if it had been deliberately trashed. She sorted and rearranged everything. Today she discovered a box of books ordered in 2009 cost £800 and never opened. Instead staff had photocopied existing books. The syllabus changed 3 years ago so the books are junk. She found a photocopier in it's box, never used. Ditto an Epson printer, old and unused. Pile of cassette recorders and cassettes no longer used.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1994 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:16 pm

State school or public?
Says he, expecting the answer: State.

My experience at public schools is: Room looks like it was disturbed during the Peasants' Revolt and not tidied since. Box of books dating to 1909. Not used since 1993 but still kept. 4 Boxes of WW2 helmets (used, but either not in combat or by a very lucky Regiment), Hand-operated calculating engine. Boxes of block printing type. None of the those are made up (although they weren't all in the same school).

Capetonian

#1995 Post by Capetonian » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:42 pm

Years ago I had to provide training for an airline office in Bogota. I sent them a checklist of requirements which included an IER 557 ticket printer and stock of OPATB and ATB ticket stock (the cards types that were used used prior to electronic ticketing).

Although it showed on their inventory that they had these items, they insisted they didn't so I had to have them flown out, at great expense, then it fell to me to clear them through customs.

When I got to the office to install the printer, I went into their rat-infested 'storeroom' to look for some cabling and found the printer they had had all along, plus stocks of tickets and treasure trove of unused junk. Idiots.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1996 Post by 1DC » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:59 pm

A friend took a job as secretary/administration manager at a large local school, part of the job was being in charge of finances and expenditure. The place was spending money without any control and he put measures in place to bring things into line. A couple of months later three large minibuses arrived out of the blue. He found out that a teacher had ordered them because he thought that they would be useful without mentioning it to anyone else. He took the teacher to task and said they didn't have any money to pay for them. The teacher then went to the head and said my mate was interfering with the running of the school and he was duly summoned to the head's office and given a bollocking. Mate is now happily working somewhere else..

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1997 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:10 pm

State. Can now add a complete unused German Lingaphone course 6th edn, 1979. Still has the polystyrene filler packing on the records. Box of used Aiwa cassette player,boxes of unused and wrapped cassettes.

Boxes of foolscap paper. Boxes of non-decimal squared paper.

Just total indifference being buried under crap. The books have been offered to an overseas school. The rest is destined for eBay and the pritstick fund. The classroom was adorned with similar clutter, work of pupils from an earlier age. Flags, like Christmas decorations, with little French phrases.

This is a secondary school but the classroom was strewn with distracting visual clutter.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1998 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:55 pm

In public schools, HoDs are responsible for practically everything; budgets, staff training, hiring and firing, etc. My first job as Head of Department at a new school. HoDs were asked by the Bursar for an annual budget plan, preferably with some indication as to the following year's budget requirements. As the Physics HoD is subservient to the Science HoD, it took me a week to co-ordinate and get my budget approved. By approved I mean deftly smuggled in as the second top item in his in-tray, then later rescued from under a cream bun with a scribble on it I decided to pretend was an approval initial. I then went to the Bursar and handed him a three year plan. He was so shocked I nearly had to administer CPR. It turned out he'd asked for this every year for the last 10 years, but I was the only one who'd ever actually done it. Bursar was latterly a Major of the 44th Regiment of Foot. The Assistant Bursar was, surprise, surprise, latterly a Captain in the 44th. We got on OK after that. And I underspent my budget by exactly 2% every year. Just enough to get a pat on the back, but not enough to get it cut.

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1999 Post by John Hill » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:30 pm

Once upon a time on a little green island deep in the tropical Pacific....The Director of Public Works took his long service leave and went over the horizon for 12 weeks or so. Meanwhile his faithful staff decided to have a 'tidy up', every day for a couple of weeks or so a rather forlorn procession of decrepit vehicles ( and semi-vehicles) were dragged by an elderly Fordson tractor (with wobbly wheels) and tipped in to a huge hole dug near the runway. Everything that was not 'new' went in the hole, trucks, a road grader, half a dozen Mini Mokes, mobile compressors and ancient concrete mixers et al, everything. The last one in the hole was the faithful Fordson wobbly wheels and all.

The nice new bulldozer was just finishing sealing the hole when the HS748 landed and the DoPW stepped down.

The next few (6 weekly) ships unloaded a crate of subframes for the Mokes, a rebuilt turntable for the grader, a gearbox for a Land Rover and a pair of nice orange Fordson wheels complete with new tires.

I really is important to keep your troops in the loop!
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2000 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:33 pm

Fox, my daughter has come to teaching via 2502 Sqn RAF Regt, various HR jobs, NVQ assessor, to languages. No pushover so hopefully she will prosper.