Rant of the Day v2.

General Chit Chat
Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#2261 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:32 pm

They'll probably revert back to "Have a nice day!" ;)))

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2262 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:28 pm

I also hate being told to "have a good one".
A good one of what?
And why limit it to just one?
Why can't I have a good two or maybe three?
Don't be so stingy!

PP

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2263 Post by Woody » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:42 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:27 pm
I am tired of every customer service person, bank teller, etc. responding to each answered question with a reply of "Perfect". If I give the wrong answer will they say "Imperfect"?

GRR
PP
Thank you for sharing that with us :(( :(( :((
When all else fails, read the instructions.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2264 Post by ian16th » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:44 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:10 pm
It has been my experience that an immediate, direct answer, outside of the military/aviation, can often be interpreted as abrupt and arrogant, especially if the answer is simply "No.".
In spades, if you are a Yorkshireman and normally only to use short words and not many of 'em!
Cynicism improves with age

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2265 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:13 pm

An excellent dissection of what's wrong with Parliament now by David Starkey. I think it counts a rant - with Parliamentarians described as "lying, deceiving sh!ts"

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2266 Post by Hydromet » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:31 am

When did you poms borrow our politicians?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2267 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:14 am

Oh, politicians are pretty much all a cunch* of bunts everywhere now. I wouldn't have them any of them in the house.

*Not to be confused with the collective noun for bankers, which is a wunch.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2268 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:26 am

ian16th wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:44 pm
Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:10 pm
It has been my experience that an immediate, direct answer, outside of the military/aviation, can often be interpreted as abrupt and arrogant, especially if the answer is simply "No.".
In spades, if you are a Yorkshireman and normally only to use short words and not many of 'em!
When I did my interview techniques course we were told never to ask a closed question. Once watch a superb TV interview with a very senior policeman in relation to some crime with national interest. I think he was from Yorkshire. What was very obvious was his interview techniques was based on resistance to interrogation. Equally obvious was that the reporter was inexperienced.

"Do you have any suspects i n mind?"

" Yes"

". . . "

The whole interview was a classic one of hens teeth and he never deviated from yes/no. His facial expression gave not a clue either. Brilliant to watch.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2269 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:55 am

Not to be confused with the collective noun for bankers, which is a wunch.
See Royal Bank of Wankers #270

Slasher

#2270 Post by Slasher » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:35 am

Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:14 am
Oh, politicians are pretty much all a cunch* of bunts everywhere now. I wouldn't have them any of them in the house.
I dunno. Yumlick Shinawatra would've been welcome back in her day before she became PM. :ymdevil:

IMG_5040.JPG

Bigger boobs would've helped.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2271 Post by OFSO » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:46 pm

Effing Marks and Spencer. Nothing in order on the racks, styles, sizes, colours all mixed. One pair trousers marked 38" waist did up round my not-inconsiderable stomach, tight but wearable. Another marked 40" waist needed another 2" to do up. Lengths between 31" and 29" randomised. Why do they bother. Useless. They obviously never check what their Vietnamese and Bangladeshi factories make. Went elsewhere.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2272 Post by OFSO » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:33 am

Expletive deleted do-gooder cretins in UK have discovered Nutella spread is made using Turkish child labour to pick hazelnuts and wants to stop this. "Children should be in school."

So when they are prevented from working picking the annual crop, families of children lose their income and children have nothing to do as in isolated communities there are few schools.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2273 Post by ian16th » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:47 am

The kids from London's East End used to pick hops in Kent!

Nobody that I know stopped drinking beer!

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2274 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:07 pm

We visited a sari loom factory. It was a village cottage industry. On the floor say a young boy. He held a spindle between his big toe and first toe.

One of our party asked if this was our of school work. He looked incomprehensibly at her, no, it was his job. He knew what he needed to know to be gainfully employed in a traditional industry that would be unlikely to disappear in his lifetime. In due course he would become the shuttle operator on the Jacquard loom.

There is a lot to be said of training people to be able to get employment in the local industry. In Grimsby it might be the navy college for fishermen or Birds Eye for fish filletting. Obviously when an industry collapses new training is needed but until then filling peoples' minds with degrees in underwater basket weaving is squandering a national asset.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2275 Post by ian16th » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:18 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:07 pm
Obviously when an industry collapses new training is needed but until then filling peoples' minds with degrees in underwater basket weaving is squandering a national asset.
But it fulfils Tony Bliar's 'A Uni place for anyone that wants one,' pledge.
All of the staff at the Tech Colleges that were upgraded to Universities got new titles and higher salaries.

All paid for by the sucker UK Tax Payer.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2276 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:03 pm

filling peoples' minds with degrees in underwater basket weaving is squandering a national asset
Useless degrees are not a new thing.

A fellow baby pilot on my IOT had a degree in Marine Archaeology. He used to joke that it wasn't even underwater basket weaving, it was just diving down and looking at somebody else's ;)))

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2277 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:30 pm

My BT saga continues :(( . 6 weeks, 7 engineer visits, and 3 weeks since their last visit, today BT finally dug up the suspected faulty underground cable at the roadside and after checking with me.......their rectification hadn't fixed the noisy line fault. They all drove away without a further word. I think the BT engineer will have found a quiet corner to commit hari kiri or similar as he was so dejected.

I thought having emailed the CEO weeks ago I had escalated this complaint as far it could go but on Wednesday I was given a new higher level contact who "will see this through to the end". She is due to phone me tomorrow with the next step.

In the meantime I have agreed with ADT that my 18 year old wired house alarm which uses the BT line for monitoring purposes is to be replaced next week by a modern wireless system which uses a sim card instead of a landline. Next step once the fault is fixed is to go VOIP with my wireless ISP at half BT's price - but they have to fix the fault before I ditch them in case any future house purchaser wants a BT line.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2278 Post by OFSO » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:38 pm

Land lines abandoned in Spain, you get a 4G box to stick on a windowsill. We have the same box in London, only its a Relish/3 box. The one in Spain is Moviestar. Both made by Huawei, identical. Our Urbanisation festooned with dead and abondoned wire.

Capetonian

#2279 Post by Capetonian » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:33 pm

They are replacing landlines in ZA with the 4G boxes. It cuts installation costs and prevents cable theft since there are no cables, but apparently handsets they provide are cheap and unreliable, however subscribers do have the option of buying a better one.

On child labour, I once went to a carpet factory in Rajahstan where the salesman (masquerading as guide) proudly informed me that they didn't use child labour.
Two minutes later, seeing a child working on a loom, I reminding him of his previous statement, to be told :
"Oh no sir, this is not child, she is 11 years old."

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2280 Post by Alisoncc » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:00 am

Early 1950's in the UK one wasn't allowed to "work" if under eleven. So everyone lied, and no one actually checked. I was doing a paper round well before I was ten. Had a friend who did grocery deliveries of same age as self. He used to ride a bike with a huge basket on the front.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)