Rant of the Day v2.

General Chit Chat
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#3621 Post by OFSO » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:08 pm

Standard price in Spain for multifocals, photosensitive and non reflective lenses from Zeis.

To be fair, at same opticians our annual inspections, which include a week later being handed a folder with colour prints of front and rear of the eyes, sectional and 3-D, done from OMRI scanner, with two pages of doctors analysis) are free. In London that examination costs £180 each.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3622 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:15 pm

I don't know why, but my father used to refer to eye-tests as 'getting charked (chalked)' - he wasn't a spectacle-wearer, apart from reading glasses when he was much older.

Capetonian

#3623 Post by Capetonian » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:58 pm

An airline ripoff.

I checked in for a LH flight BOM - FRA and the check in girl asked me if I wanted an upgrade to F (I was booked in C) in exchange for FF Miles and/or cash. As it's a relatively short flight I wasn't going to take it unless it was dirt cheap. I don't remember what the amount was but it was more than I was willing to pay.

She asked me if I was 'sure', then spoke to a supervisor who again asked me 'if I was sure'. By now I knew what was happening so said 'no' again and they started 'negotiating' typical Indian style "what is your best offer?". I said a really low figure and they laughed, not unpleasantly, and I said "sell it to someone else." Whereupon they handed me a first class boarding pass! I was quite annoyed at the sly attempt to extract money and wrote to LH customer service who sent me a voucher for a one class upgrade on a long haul flight.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3624 Post by ian16th » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:48 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:58 pm
An airline ripoff.

I checked in for a LH flight BOM - FRA and the check in girl asked me if I wanted an upgrade to F (I was booked in C) in exchange for FF Miles and/or cash. As it's a relatively short flight I wasn't going to take it unless it was dirt cheap. I don't remember what the amount was but it was more than I was willing to pay.

She asked me if I was 'sure', then spoke to a supervisor who again asked me 'if I was sure'. By now I knew what was happening so said 'no' again and they started 'negotiating' typical Indian style "what is your best offer?". I said a really low figure and they laughed, not unpleasantly, and I said "sell it to someone else." Whereupon they handed me a first class boarding pass! I was quite annoyed at the sly attempt to extract money and wrote to LH customer service who sent me a voucher for a one class upgrade on a long haul flight.
LH seem to like giving out upgrades for short legs.

I once had an upgrade on the leg FRA - GVA!
Cynicism improves with age

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3625 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:33 am

Do they see you coming?
Should have gone to Specsavers. ( or the $2 shop )

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3626 Post by ricardian » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:16 am

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:33 am
Do they see you coming?
Should have gone to Specsavers. ( or the $2 shop )
I can recommend Glasses Direct (no connection other than satisfied customer). My optician charged £75 for new spectacles. I sent the prescription to Glasses Direct who provided two pairs for £49.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3627 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:02 am

I can recommend Glasses Direct
Thanx, might need them someday, meanwhile the $2. shop satisfies my every need. ( and occasionally Walgreens, when in the USA, who sell a nice line in stylish sunglasses with a magnifying semi circle at the bottom of the overall dark glass. Good for driving, and reading on the beach )

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3628 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:35 am

I had a perfectly good set of titanium frames but needed new lenses. The frames were rimless and hinge less. New lens were virtually the same price as new frames.

This year I chose new frame, near identical to the old. Photosensitive bifocals £217.60.

Mind you, doesn't cost me a penny directly. Health package refunds costs to various limits. The glasses cost the equivalent of 3 1/2 months subs. Our dental treatments another 5 1/2 and also my wife 's chiropractor 5 months so we are ahead.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3629 Post by ian16th » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:38 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:35 am
I had a perfectly good set of titanium frames but needed new lenses. The frames were rimless and hinge less. New lens were virtually the same price as new frames.

This year I chose new frame, near identical to the old. Photosensitive bifocals £217.60.

Mind you, doesn't cost me a penny directly. Health package refunds costs to various limits. The glasses cost the equivalent of 3 1/2 months subs. Our dental treatments another 5 1/2 and also my wife 's chiropractor 5 months so we are ahead.
I go for function in my specs. So I have photo-chromatic, vari-focal lens, set in a titanium frame. Expensive, but they do everything I need without swapping specs..

But Mrs SM!!!! She has a 'thing' about Cazal frames. :(
It all helps to keep me poor.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3630 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:48 am

I tried varifocals, couldn't get on with them, give SpecSavers their due they exchanged them.

I found they narrowed my field of view so that I had to move my head rather than my eyes when reading the paper.

I agree about function over fashion. Why throw away a sweater that fits, is the right weight and the right colour just because it is 10 years old?

I had an M&S wine coloured cashmere, cost £5. The arm seams gave out after 15 years or so. My daughter then purloined it. I think it lasted 20 years.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3631 Post by OFSO » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:56 am

Mrs OFSO once had frames made of "memory metal". After eighteen months they got Alzheimer's and had to be replaced..

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3632 Post by Boac » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:05 pm

At least she would not forget where she had left them.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3633 Post by ian16th » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:08 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:48 am
I tried varifocals, couldn't get on with them, give SpecSavers their due they exchanged them.

I found they narrowed my field of view so that I had to move my head rather than my eyes when reading the paper.
My 1st pair of vari-focals were a disaster. I didn't wear them, my previous tri-focals were better and I had new tri-focals made. But tri-focals became unobtainable, and my new optometrist 'sold' me on the song that the new vari-focals were improved and I have succeeded with them.
The one pair are good for reading, the computer screen and driving!

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3634 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:37 pm

Ian, what about width of vision? SS had 3 degrees of various focal. I think I had got the mid range. For years I used Chinese bifocal readers with plain distance. My distance vision needs a little correction but my brain was quite efficient at managing that. For some reason a British optician cannot make plain distance bifocals. Now, if I take mine off things are blurred.be

The other morning, after my eyes had rested, I only remembered I wasn't wearing them when I could not read.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3635 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:43 pm

My multifocals have become quite strong for reading. The eye doc said that the distant vision gets a little help as well. Can't make the top neutral.
My sunglasses are bi-focal leaders. I notice the lack of "help" with distance vision when driving.

PP

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3636 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:11 pm

Interesting. I wonder if, like hearing aids, the technology has improved.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3637 Post by ian16th » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:47 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:37 pm
Ian, what about width of vision? SS had 3 degrees of various focal. I think I had got the mid range. For years I used Chinese bifocal readers with plain distance. My distance vision needs a little correction but my brain was quite efficient at managing that. For some reason a British optician cannot make plain distance bifocals. Now, if I take mine off things are blurred.be

The other morning, after my eyes had rested, I only remembered I wasn't wearing them when I could not read.
I dunno just what the width of vision is, but it suite me fine.

The main problem I had with the 1st vari-focals, was when I was driving, if I glanced at the instrument panel, it was out of focus.

My current ones believe have Canon lens.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3638 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:57 am

Stupid dream!

Awake now . . .

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3639 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:39 am

Get some smart dreams! :))
I know what you mean. Wake up and click channels for a few hours and then get back to sleep, usually a little bit of REM and then have to get up to let a dog out or get a kid ready for school.
Frustrating and tiring. ~X(

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3640 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:12 am

When I do dream, they all seem to put me in bizarre situations where I don't have what I need for a task, or I can't find my way to where I'm supposed to be.
I'm sure some psychoanalyst would be willing to relieve me of a lot of money to tell me what it all means.

PP