General Chit Chat
G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#3661 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:03 pm

Hydromet wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:46 pm
For as long as I can remember, my daily newspaper was delivered by the local newsagent. It was, in latter years enclosed in thin plastic wrap and in wet weather, the newsagent's unfailing aim would put it in a sheltered. It was probably the most reliable service around.
Early this year, the newspaper company decided to outsource the delivery of their paper. Delivery immediately became unreliable. Sometimes it didn't arrive, often it was late. Instead of arriving dry, it now comes in a leaky plastic bag, and half the time it is in the gutter, rather than on the path.
Yesterday, when I collected it, it was a soaked, unreadable pulp.
I have seen (on the movies) - newspapers being 'delivered' by being thrown from the highway.
In the UK we expect deliveries to be put through the letterbox of the property.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3662 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:35 pm

GOING FORWARD
What is wrong with NEXT or IN FUTURE why is everything GOING FORWARD?

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3663 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:45 pm

Moving on.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#3664 Post by jimtherev » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:51 pm

Reaching out. Oh no, that's talking to someone.
Innit

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3665 Post by Woody » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:32 pm

This is what you need =)) =)) =))

http://www.andrewdavidson.com/gibberish/

It’s brilliant, just tap in your company name and it generates total bollox, definitely works well with my employer.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3666 Post by llondel » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:28 am

G-CPTN wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:03 pm
Hydromet wrote:
For as long as I can remember, my daily newspaper was delivered by the local newsagent. It was, in latter years enclosed in thin plastic wrap and in wet weather, the newsagent's unfailing aim would put it in a sheltered. It was probably the most reliable service around.
Early this year, the newspaper company decided to outsource the delivery of their paper. Delivery immediately became unreliable. Sometimes it didn't arrive, often it was late. Instead of arriving dry, it now comes in a leaky plastic bag, and half the time it is in the gutter, rather than on the path.
I have seen (on the movies) - newspapers being 'delivered' by being thrown from the highway.
In the UK we expect deliveries to be put through the letterbox of the property.
That's because in the UK you're expected to have a letter box. Here it's a box out by the street so the postman doesn't have to walk up the driveway, and it's only supposed to be used for USPS mail, so the newspaper and flyers end up free-range on the path/drive/grass/mud. Coincidentally, we also have theft of mail.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3667 Post by Karearea » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:29 am

Further to the posts above re misuse of English: this has been troubling me -

Scientist, speaking of sunfish
...it is a bit like Star Wars. It is nuts...
Says it all, dunnit.
"And to think that it's the same dear old Moon..."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3668 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:20 pm

Oh joy, about 4 miles away, in Saltby. are about 500 pikeys for a big funeral. Thefts of diesel are already on the rise.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3669 Post by Hydromet » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:21 pm

Hydromet wrote:
Enough! Having notified them, yet again, ineffectually, via their website, I decided that I'd take my complaints to the organ grinders, rather than some poor, under-payed monkey (I use the term figuratively and with no malice) who probably can't do anything anyway. I have written to both the Chairman (a former senior politician) and the CEO. We shall see what happens. Hopefully, the arse of the right person will be kicked.
Had a phone call yesterday from the guy in charge of distribution, who had my letter, passed down from the chairman. Very apologetic, promised to take it up with the distribution contractors. This morning, even though it wasn't raining, my newspaper was hand delivered to the top of the driveway, under shelter.

Nothing wrong with being a squeaky wheel.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3670 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:23 am

It pays to know when and how to complain.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3671 Post by Alisoncc » Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:03 am

What is really beginning to give me the sh1ts is every organisation I do business with would like me to do a survey to as to how well they did. For f*cks sake.

Just had an email from the courier that delivered a parcel yesterday "how well did they do?. Having previously had one from the organisation I had ordered the goods from. Including yesterday one from the gas company asking if their delivery of gas was satisfactory, and so it goes on. Wouldn't mind if it made a bloody difference, but it doesn't. Tell them they are crap and they reply "Thank you for your valued response" and nothing changes.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3672 Post by OFSO » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:33 am

Audi have withdrawn an advert showing a very young child eating a banana while leaning against one of their cars. Some people have complained there are sexual connotations in a very young child eating a banana, and that the vehicle being painted red only makes the advert more suggestive. Words fail me...

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3673 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:24 pm

OFSO, there is an ad on TV at the moment, I have no idea what the ad is about so we can put it down as a fail. It shows a young boy wearing no very much running.

Obviously proud parents will be banking his earnings to cover his Rada fees in the future. Contrast that with Karen who goes harpic if you so much as look at her little johnnie.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3674 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:38 am

I'm sure we would all play Life differently if we were able to start again, and one of my changes would be Medical Insurance. Having taken over my personal cover on the previously Company provided scheme upon retirement, I've paid far more in premiums than I have claimed in benefits over recent years, but having now reached an age when I will undoubtedly need more help before too long, I find it difficult to justify stopping it now and accordingly renewed my policy at the end of January with my long standing UK insurer - albeit now French controlled.

Following that, in late February, I received a packet of papers posted from the UK, all personally addressed correspondence dated 12th February, confirming my new cover for a further 12 months, albeit slightly less beneficial, as usual, and various documents of no interest to me generally explaining how magnificent an organisation they were, and a 60 page Annual Handbook detailing their various "Plans", only one of which referred to my, lowest, scheme, that being the only one I can financially justify.

Today, August 5th, I received two more identical packets in the post, everything dated 12th February as before, and both packets being identical to the one originally received, so I now have 3 copies of all the letters and extra bumph and three Annual Handbooks.

I can appreciate that the Corona virus thing is delaying International mail delivery - but by 6 months ? - but it is clear that the assembled collection of garbage was created and mailed to me all at the same time, as proved by the 12th February date on all correspondence - THREE TIMES OVER !! WTF ??

There is no e-mail provided on their website, I am "invited" to phone, them, write them a letter, indulge in Internet written "chat", or make a comment in their "Contact Us" space. The latter I have just completed, and not in polite terms. I don't pay my vast premiums for them to waste my money in this way.

A collection of left hands and right hands ?

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3675 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:43 am

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:38 am
I don't pay my vast premiums for them to waste my money in this way.
Ah! but you do . . .

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3676 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:14 am

ExSp, I joined our civil service cash refund scheme in addition to the basic. Our payment is now £90 per month but covers £1,000 of complimentary treatments, dental and optical at £370 each per year and hospital at £40 per day. I joined just before I was 65 and cost benefit has probably been neutral. The main scheme is £23/m and amongst other benefits will pay for private operations where the NHS wait time is too long. My wife had a £4,000 up last year so overall I recur we are ahead.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#3677 Post by jimtherev » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:55 pm

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:38 am
......There is no e-mail provided on their website, I am "invited" to phone, them, write them a letter, indulge in Internet written "chat", or make a comment in their "Contact Us" space. ......

A collection of left hands and right hands ?
I'm disappointed. Didn't they invite you to 'reach out' to them?
Oh, ffrench, you say. They obviously haven't reached that height of sophistication yet.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3678 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:45 am

Will they ever ?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3679 Post by OFSO » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:32 am

Returned from shopping. Sprayed-to-match car paint tow ball cover missing from rear of Mondeo. Car park full of French. Say no more.

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3680 Post by EA01 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:22 am

Health insurance....mandated here...the minute you drop out and then opt back in you pay a vastly increased premium. Trying to think of another private sector industry that is Government regulated in order to ensure you are part of it rather than being financially penalised for not being in it. Imagine a Government regulation that stipulates if you don't fly with an airline every year, you'll incrementally more for every year you don't fly. Disgraceful!!!!!

Personally we're in it.....and have availed ourselves of it's benefits as much as regrettably health issues arise, but still....