Rant of the Day v2.

General Chit Chat
ribrash

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#3701 Post by ribrash » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:25 am

G-CPTN wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:49 am
Time to get some 'heavy water'?

Or, as vehicle manufacturer used to fit every radiator with a 'dog turd' (Bars leak sealant) - it saved having to check each vehicle for leaks and then have to rectify.
Prior to uni I worked at Standard Triumph at Speke as an industrial cleaner.I spent some time in the area that built the Triumph Toledo.The cry was often heard " we need more dog turds " =))

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3702 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:37 am

OFSO I had some guaranteed under water PVC sealant - bugger worked. I was down there, snorkel and mask applying adhesive then the patch.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3703 Post by ian16th » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:03 pm

G-CPTN wrote:

Or, as vehicle manufacturer used to fit every radiator with a 'dog turd' (Bars leak sealant) - it saved having to check each vehicle for leaks and then have to rectify.
What was it that Halfords sold?

It had a name such as 'Stop Leak' or some such.

My old 1960 Morris Oxford lived on it.

When we went on holiday from Hereford to South Wales, I carried a case of a dozen Bulmer's Cider bottles, filled with water.
Cynicism improves with age

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3704 Post by 1DC » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:37 pm

Last time I was in Oz I saw an advert on TV for some sealing tape. The chap cut a tinny in half from bow to stern with an angle grinder. He then stuck it back together by applying the sealing tape on both sides, three lengths on each side. He put an outboard on the back and proceeded to go down the river at about 15 knots. Very impressive..

ribrash

#3705 Post by ribrash » Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:53 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:37 am
OFSO I had some guaranteed under water PVC sealant - bugger worked. I was down there, snorkel and mask applying adhesive then the patch.
Geocel ? Have used it recently.Brilliant stuff.You can apply it underwater and it sticks like that stuff that sticks to shovels.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3706 Post by OFSO » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:17 pm

I think the problem is the height of the pool above the leaking valve. Water is one thing, pressure another...

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3707 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:36 pm

Refrigerator won't cool sufficiently, freezer ok. 5 years old. ~X(
Two repairs already, same problem, two different parts replaced.
Had to wait two days for appointment. Tech shows up, opens fridge and touches control panel once. :-q
Says that it needs a new control board, new control interface (control panel) and part that actually needs to be replaced.
~$850.00 total to fix. :ymsick:
Oh, by the way, he says, "Don't have the parts". ~X(
I had spoken to the owner who looked up previous repairs and he had said that it was a repeat of one of the previous repairs.
Repair guy said he had no clue about prev. probs. X(
Waiting for call back from shop owner.

PP

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3708 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:03 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:36 pm
Oh, by the way, he says, "Don't have the parts".
That's because he used them last time.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3709 Post by tango15 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:12 pm

ribrash wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:25 am
G-CPTN wrote:

Prior to uni I worked at Standard Triumph at Speke as an industrial cleaner.I spent some time in the area that built the Triumph Toledo.The cry was often heard " we need more dog turds " =))
I imagine you're aware ribrash, that site of the former Triumph factory is now home to a large ASDA - among other stores.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3710 Post by ian16th » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:55 pm

tango15 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:12 pm

When I worked in Leeds, the wife of one of my work colleagues worked in the office of a Triumph dealer.

One day, a cleaner was cleaning a new Toledo, in preparation for a customer.
Cleaning in the back of the car, she leaned over to unlock the opposite rear door, only to find no door handle.
Walking round the car, she discovered that besides no door handle, there was a total absence of a rear door!

The factory had built, tested and delivered the car, and the dealer had done the per-delivery inspection and no one had noticed that this was a rather unique 3 door Triumph Toledo. Except the cleaner.
A 4 door car on one side and a 2 door car on the other.

ribrash

#3711 Post by ribrash » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:14 pm

tango15 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:12 pm
ribrash wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:25 am
G-CPTN wrote:

I imagine you're aware ribrash, that site of the former Triumph factory is now home to a large ASDA - among other stores.
Yes indeed.They had another site across the road were they stamped out the body panels.I work on both sites.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3712 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:34 am

ian16th wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:55 pm

When I worked in Leeds, the wife of one of my work colleagues worked in the office of a Triumph dealer.

Cleaning in the back of the car, she leaned over to unlock the opposite rear door, only to find no door handle.
Walking round the car, she discovered that besides no door handle, there was a total absence of a rear door!

The factory had built, tested and delivered the car, and the dealer had done the per-delivery inspection and no one had noticed that this was a rather unique 3 door Triumph Toledo. Except the cleaner.
I think I heard of that model, an economy providing only 3 doors. Standard Triumph had form on such economy - Standard 8 with no boot lid and only 2 doors - 3 less things to rattle or places to leak.

ribrash

#3713 Post by ribrash » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:48 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:34 am
ian16th wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:55 pm

I think I heard of that model, an economy providing only 3 doors. Standard Triumph had form on such economy - Standard 8 with no boot lid and only 2 doors - 3 less things to rattle or places to leak.
The Toledo was the only car built to a completed drivable state.The TR6 and the Stag were built,painted and trimmed out and then put on transporters and taken to the Midlands for the engine and wheels to be fitted. :-o

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#3714 Post by Smeagol » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:18 am

BT !!

My rant today is BT! They are crap, getting crappier and making complaining increasingly difficult. Waited over 30 minutes to register a complaint by telephone as this plus a letter by post and sending a text via a mobile appear to be the only mechanisms for complaint. There used to be an link via 'chat' from their website but this appears to have been deleted, probably because it made registering a complaint easier!
Must look into changing my provider.
We hates Bagginses!

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3715 Post by EA01 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:24 am

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3716 Post by ian16th » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:35 pm

ian16th wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:26 pm
My Canon TS8240 printer started printing rubbish, lots of missed colours. Indicating clogged nozzles.

This required several 'Deep Cleaning' cycles, that of course consume expensive ink.

I ended up changing 4 expensive ink cartridges, to get it printing right.

The only vaguely good news was that this Sunday afternoon, I always keep a full set of cartridges in the cupboard.
Just heard from my retailer that Canon South Africa that they have nil stocks of one of my ink cartridges!

They are expecting delivery in September!
Canon.jpg
Canon.jpg (26.71 KiB) Viewed 235 times

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3717 Post by ian16th » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:38 pm

ribrash wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:48 am
The Toledo was the only car built to a completed drivable state.The TR6 and the Stag were built,painted and trimmed out and then put on transporters and taken to the Midlands for the engine and wheels to be fitted. :-o
Weren't some Rootes/Chrysler UK cars shipped back and forth twixt Coventry and Linwood, Glasgow to have engines installed?

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3718 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:48 pm

Smeagol wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:18 am
BT !!

My rant today is BT! They are crap, getting crappier and making complaining increasingly difficult. Waited over 30 minutes to register a complaint by telephone as this plus a letter by post and sending a text via a mobile appear to be the only mechanisms for complaint. There used to be an link via 'chat' from their website but this appears to have been deleted, probably because it made registering a complaint easier!
Must look into changing my provider.
Smeagol - go to the top. Email the BT CEO Philip Jansen philip.jansen@bt.com. Your email of course won't get to him but it will have an effect and will be dealt with by a team who handle complaint emails to him. In my case it was the very helpful Leanne Roberts and Sarah Driscoll who I dealt with and as well as at long last fixing my dead line fault I received £140 compensation.

Having said all that, today I spent 45 minutes on hold trying to report a fault. I eventually got through to a guy in Dublin and after about a minute there was a garbled voice from him and the line went dead. Maybe too difficult for him and it was the BT equivalent of 'sorry, you're breaking up....'.

The lightning storms yesterday blew up my extension wiring so I can only phone using the master test socket as otherwise the line is dead. Not a problem as I'm going to ditch BT as soon as I can get a mobile phone booster in place. Don't need the land line if I can get a reliable mobile signal as I have wireless internet. There's no Caller Line Identification which is the cause of my minor problem. Tried resetting with *234# and although it said it had been reset it still doesn't work. Can't face another 45 minute hold today, maybe tomorrow....
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

ribrash

#3719 Post by ribrash » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:00 pm

ian16th wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:38 pm
ribrash wrote:
Weren't some Rootes/Chrysler UK cars shipped back and forth twixt Coventry and Linwood, Glasgow to have engines installed?
I really don't know about that Ian.Some cars were taken to bits and packed into large wooden crates,a process known as knock down (KD).These were then sent to far flung lands for reassemby.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3720 Post by ian16th » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:19 pm

ribrash wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:00 pm
ian16th wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:38 pm
ribrash wrote:
I really don't know about that Ian.Some cars were taken to bits and packed into large wooden crates,a process known as knock down (KD).These were then sent to far flung lands for reassemby.
The 'Arrow' Hillman Hunter series, was assembled in Iran as the Paykan, first from knocked down kits and eventually produced there with the old UK machines.
Its end of life story is here.