Rant of the Day v2.

General Chit Chat
Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#5721 Post by Boac » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:09 pm

"every 6 months thereafter" - probably but unknown - depends on virus.

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5722 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:55 pm

Boac wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:09 pm
"every 6 months thereafter" - probably but unknown - depends on virus.
I suspect that in the long term it will end up with the elderly and vulnerable having annual flu and covid jabs in the autumn. The rest of the population being recommended to have boosters every 3 to five years.

It will become another winter cold virus along with the ones we have already suffered since childhood......hopefully..... :-s

RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5723 Post by Boac » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:27 pm

I suspect that in the long term it will end up with the elderly and vulnerable
Yes, and my reply was on this site (a site for the elderly and vulnerable), so relevant as you say. =))

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#5724 Post by k3k3 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:20 pm

BioNTech, Pfizers partner, have an appropriate address:

An der Goldgrube 12
D-55131 Mainz
Germany

Translates as No.12 At The Goldmine.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5725 Post by OFSO » Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:32 pm

Interesting. Mainz has good Carnival.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5726 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:35 pm

I can't get my head round how soaring gas prices affect renewable electricity supply. When my fixed price electricity only deal with Octopus ends next month my monthly leccy bill will increase by about 30%. Why? Octopus make a big thing of my electricity being 100% from renewable sources. Methinks someone somewhere is making an awful lot of money out of this.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5727 Post by Boac » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:47 pm

I guess that is Thatcher's 'Market Forces' at play? Simply, Watts cost money. If you can produce Watts cheaper from renewables than from consumables then good Thatcher economics say you could sell your Watts at a better (Watts market) price. Thus charge your customers more to make up the 'loss' or risk a lower bonus/share deal/pension pot as CEO. I think this is a question you should address directly to the Octopus CEO?

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5728 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:50 am

We had a mains electricity failure at 11:30 pm.
Although I was using my laptop at the time, the mains failure meant that the supply to the router failed, so everything failed - the streamed background music and everything became utter silence and darkness.

It's amazing how complete the loss of everything audible and visual becomes apparent (as someone who depends on constant stimulation).

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5729 Post by OFSO » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:37 am

We can rely on the 14 mini solar lamps placed outdoors, shining in, unless we had a preceeding dull day and lightning knocks the LED street light out - usual - in which case it becomes very spooky with only light from the wood stove.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5730 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:55 am

G CPTN, quite. I bought a UPS for the router. Size of a slim paperback, 12v in, 12v and USB 5v out. Neat bit of kit.

Not tested it to exhaustion but I think at least 30 minutes and is definitely a no-break power supply.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5731 Post by OFSO » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:57 am

Mail from HMRC: "You have a message on your webpage". Logged in,
}messages,
}tax messages,
}new tax statement,
clicked on this to read "There are no new tax statements here."

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5732 Post by llondel » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:00 am

G-CPTN wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:50 am
We had a mains electricity failure at 11:30 pm.
Although I was using my laptop at the time, the mains failure meant that the supply to the router failed, so everything failed - the streamed background music and everything became utter silence and darkness.

It's amazing how complete the loss of everything audible and visual becomes apparent (as someone who depends on constant stimulation).
I have a UPS specifically to run all of the infrastructure devices. It lasts a bit longer than the one powering the computer.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5733 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:45 am

Ilondel, that's very necessary here with the modern houses with external electricity boxes. Chop the power, kill the cameras and router and break in. The alarm should still work and you might get a message if it has a Sim card.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5734 Post by OFSO » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:46 pm

All afternoon, doing different forms for entering France from the front or rear entry, keep making mistakes, printing rubbish, then booking tests in London, errors and omissions, then spent a half hour filling out UK passenger locator form, got to end. "Can only complete this form seven or less days before journey". What unconscionable cnuts HMG are.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#5735 Post by jimtherev » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:05 pm

Mrs Jim has devised a little bit of nonsense for the church kids (and got Jim to do the artwork) about Christmas with a bit of doggerel (Should that be Godderel?) involving M&M sweets. The idea is that the letter 'm' can be an 'E' if turned anticlockwise, 'w' after another quarter-turn and a bit like a backless 'B'' if turned a third time. The sort of naff thing that kids still seem to like, specially if they get to eat the chocolate quickly afterwards. The problem is
We've now bought M&Ms from three different outlets, and the plastic point of sale bags lie: THEY'VE STOPPED PRINTING THE LETTER M ON THE BL888Y SWEETS.

This has somehow become my fault.
Moreover, I've been tasked with producing a replacement equally naff game/teaching accessory.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5736 Post by Hydromet » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:31 am

jimtherev wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:05 pm
Moreover, I've been tasked with producing a replacement equally naff game/teaching accessory.
Do kids still play 'Spin the Bottle'?😁

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5737 Post by OFSO » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:30 am

Morning all. Calm but back to winds again later, only 6-7 this time. Laundry day yet again, so acceptable.

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#5738 Post by Smeagol » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:22 pm

Why does outdoor equipment always fail in the winter? My sump pump, which empties the sump receiving the outfall from my septic tank, before pumping it to the soakaway system appears to have failed. The RCD has been tripping but then continuing to hold to allow the pump to operate for several days but today refused to hold therefore no pump.
The IP66 connector joining the buried supply cable was checked (bloody cold sitting in the garden taking that apart) to ensure it was not damp (it was!) but disassembled, cleaned, dried, reassembled and....still trips instantly. looks like a new pump is required which means laying on wet (or snow laden today) ground to reach into the sump to disconnect the discharge and remove pump, not too bad in good weather but not pleasant in December! Oh! and it will take several days to get a new pump delivered which means using a temporary one which involves more outdoor work daily. :( :(
We hates Bagginses!

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5739 Post by EA01 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:37 pm

F*&King phones and technology!!!

I'm trying to assign a sound recording against a phone number on a samsung galaxy s10 (?)...I know this is possible as Mrs Fliegs did something similar with a nokia flippy phone about 20 years ago!, trying to do it now, nothing sensible about it! You would think there may exist an option as simple 'Select this number as Ringtone" ..... oh no ....way too difficult, absolutely **** bewildering actually.....if tech stuff is so great how come it is not easy and simple to use?....and make simple sense?.....I utterly loathe the complexity and lack of simple common sense involved in 'tech' matters.

Why is it so hard to to simply right click and 'set as'.....a multitude of you tube videos have failed to explain...tech rubbish is utter BS, no one knows it, people purport to understand it, but cannot explain it...I f$#king HATE it!

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5740 Post by llondel » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:43 pm

EA01 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:37 pm
F*&King phones and technology!!!

I'm trying to assign a sound recording against a phone number on a samsung galaxy s10 (?)...I know this is possible as Mrs Fliegs did something similar with a nokia flippy phone about 20 years ago!, trying to do it now, nothing sensible about it! You would think there may exist an option as simple 'Select this number as Ringtone" ..... oh no ....way too difficult, absolutely f*cking bewildering actually.....if tech stuff is so great how come it is not easy and simple to use?....and make simple sense?.....I utterly loathe the complexity and lack of simple common sense involved in 'tech' matters.

Why is it so hard to to simply right click and 'set as'.....a multitude of you tube videos have failed to explain...tech rubbish is utter BS, no one knows it, people purport to understand it, but cannot explain it...I f$#king HATE it!
Not sure about Samsung because they heavily modify the underlying Android base, but on more standard Android phones, you open contacts, open the one to which you want to assign the ringtone, then click on the three vertical dots top-right and there should be an option to select a custom ringtone.