llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#6421 Post by llondel » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:45 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:38 pm
Just a housing deposit.
I was informed by a former co-worker who I ran into a few weeks ago, whose younger son is also starting there, that the hotel possibility was on the table, so not a total surprise. It just wasn't mentioned when we met with an advisor and toured the representative dorm.
The housing rep indicated that this was a normal state of affairs, somewhat similar to airline practice of overselling flights, with the historical no-show rate factored in.

PP
Does she still pay just the dorm fee with the college picking up any extra, or does it end up costing her more? Also, a hotel room without available cooking facilities that might be found in a dorm is a more expensive option even if the room cost is taken care of.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6422 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:04 pm

We still haven't heard back from the housing office. Don't know if the hotel is like an extended stay with a kitchenette or what.
She has already got a dorm fridge and a microwave/air fryer combo unit so if there is room she can have those to use.
The fees should be the same and she will be on a meal plan that allows both a set number of meals per week in a cafeteria as well as a set amount of scrip to use in on campus food outlets.
I am hopeful that we will hear something by tomorrow. just to relive the uncertainty.

PP

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6423 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:31 pm

.........Need plumber to remove and refit the sink.
A million years ago, it seems, remodelling a bathroom in a newly acquired residence I removed a bath and replaced it with a shower and two side by side sinks, actually quite enjoyed playing with copper pipes and "Yorkshire" soldered fittings with a blow torch ! ( thinks ? would this DIY be "legal" in todays Elf andf Safety nonsense ? ) I kept attending a plumbing base for various fittings and taps, and finally purchased a new toilet and an additional bidet ( at the request of SWMBO'd.) and also asked for a plumber to attend in the near future, to fit said items,and I would advise when ready for this. Eventually, despite repeatedly ordering the plumber, one never came and after a few weeks I returned and told them to cancel the plumber as I'd now fitted it all myself. They just grinned and said " We knew you would".

Bidet ? Had to squat "inwards" facing the taps and wall, not "outwards" as on a toilet, this meant totally removing trousers and pants, a PITA ( literally ! ) I more or less stopped using it as a result, and the then Mrs. ExS. eventually only used it at " that time of the month" Not a practical daily device, and I've only ever seen them in French hotels.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6424 Post by Hydromet » Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:32 pm

Tip from D1 re college residence meals: go vegetarian, it's better food (at least it was in her residence hall). Order meat dishes when the opportunity arises, outside of the residence.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6425 Post by llondel » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:58 am

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:31 pm
Bidet ? Had to squat "inwards" facing the taps and wall, not "outwards" as on a toilet, this meant totally removing trousers and pants, a PITA ( literally ! ) I more or less stopped using it as a result, and the then Mrs. ExS. eventually only used it at " that time of the month" Not a practical daily device, and I've only ever seen them in French hotels.
I remember some piece of satire that noted that the British would wash their feet in a bidet because it annoyed the French no end.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6426 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:08 am

I remember some piece of satire that noted that the British would wash their feet in a bidet because it annoyed the French no end
Also remember a tale of an Englishwoman asking a Frenchwoman if the bidet was for washing the baby in ? No, was the reply, it's for washing the baby out !

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6427 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:58 am

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:31 pm
.........Need plumber to remove and refit the sink.
A house we looked at 40 years ago had a large well appointed en suite. It had been built by the seller, the builder. It had a bidet, perfect for the busy lizzy cascading over the side.

I remember the Egyptian version of bidet, a flattened copper pipe extending under the toilet seat and a tap within reach to adjust the flow.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6428 Post by OFSO » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:51 am

Our experiences buying with IKEA on-line, ghastly website, rude and unhelpful call centre staff speaking in many languages except English, led me to post a review on Trust Pilot where I find IKEA UK to have an average of one star, only because there is nothing lower. One person wrote that buyers are better off paying three times the price elsewhere just to avoid IKEA. Agree. Go and read Trust Pilot!!

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#6429 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:25 pm

Is it just me or is this pathetic. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... spots.html

Who wants to lie next to loads of people by a pool all day anyway?
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6430 Post by OFSO » Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:20 pm

IKEA told us kitchen cabinets would arrive today. Stayed in, alternately. Nothing. Wife called to ask where are they? Answer from IKEA: "Not in the hub". (??) New date next Tuesday. Offered us a £20 voucher off next purchase. Something about Hell freezing over before next purchase enters my mind....

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6431 Post by Wodrick » Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:22 pm

Car started shouting to check rear left brake light. Gaining access and replacing same in 38c not the best game. Bloody VW.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6432 Post by Wodrick » Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:26 pm

I have never had a moments trouble with the Blue Store, neither the store, the web site, nor the products that we have purchased.
Store is a bit of a nightmare to navigate but it works.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6433 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:34 pm

Did an all inclusive in Malta. Yes SBW then. From out balcony we watched the early towel brigade bagging their beds. The staff tending the lawn looked on in bemusement. Towels placed the guests departed for breakfast. As scheduled the pop up sprinklers rose and sprayed everything with water.

Did a resort holiday in Turkey. Adult only pool, dappled shade, pool attendant had beer on tap at the flick of an eyelid. He also sent the Russians with baboshka away. As the son moved he would rush over and move your lounger.

Pick your resort with care.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6434 Post by Wodrick » Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:38 pm

Departing our hotel in Mombasa years ago, 0400L pickup. Making our way to reception at 0350l passed a German, towel equipped, heading for the pool to claim his spot. 0400 ?

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6435 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:05 pm

Wodrick wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:38 pm
Departing our hotel in Mombasa years ago, 0400L pickup. Making our way to reception at 0350l passed a German, towel equipped, heading for the pool to claim his spot. 0400 ?
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6436 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:21 pm

It is generally accepted in Spanish resorts that a towel left on a sunbed is claimed by its owner for the entire day. The origin of this rule is not known, though it is thought to be a German invention.
True story.....BEA aircraft departing Barcelona for London, requested start up clearance and was given a 45 minute delay, followed by Lufthansa, who was given immediate start up for Munich. BEA objected, "We asked first, so why the delay for us and not for Lufthanssa ?" To which Lufthansa replied " Because I got up at 04.00 and put my towel on the runway "

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6437 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:00 am

Great ad..
Beer for breakfast!
They balanced things up with this one

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6438 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:46 am

Jerry Sadowitz "Cancelled!"

In all the years I have lived in the UK I have, somehow, avoided attending the Edinburgh fringe, not least, because I am no fan of standup comedians, generally ranting on about something or other, swearing, or taking their schlongs out (I saw a very pissed Oliver Reed do that in a pub near Box Hill and that was enough for me) or attempting to be "edgy" (a word right up there with "gig" as one of the words to be most despised in the world).

Anyway Jerry Sadowitz (a great name for a Scottish Jewish standup comedian) has tapped into the current zeitgeist (another word to be despised) and into the rich vein of outrage amongst those who rant against "woke" (what ever happened to the old meaning of the word as in the Beatles' lyric "woke up, got out of bed") and the desire to be outraged and to rant about almost anything and everything, including good taste and good humour, all in the name of culture wars and bores. Let's put it this way Jerry, a smart operator by my reckoning, knows a good thing when he sees one and has revitalised a stalling career by means of this brouhaha and his "cancellation!". I mean whose career isn't partially stalling when they are 61 (or at 61 knots), and whose pencil couldn't do with a bit more lead or whose wallet couldn't do with some more cash? The aptly named Pleasance theatre have done him a world of good by cancelling him and the world of ranting has been given a total fillip by this schlong in a teacup!

My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6439 Post by Wodrick » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:11 pm

I find myself at a loss. There is a Whale in the Seine, the public is asked to stay away so they come.
A Walrus is wandering around Oslo, the public is asked to stay away so they come.
The public is asked to stop using disposable barbecues, so, in Norfolk (where else) they start a conflagration with a disposable barbecue.

Why ?

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6440 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:28 am

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:34 pm
Mrs C16 got a letter saying that as she has reached a certain age she should have a one off pneumococcal vaccine and that she should attend at a School some 11 miles away. She has a car so no problem but there's no bus service anywhere near us so what about those without cars - a 22 mile taxi journey? Why not at our local village GP surgery just down the road where there's a nurse? Crazy!
It got worse. Mrs C16 arrived at the vaccination centre for an 0900 appointment. "Sorry, the hospital messed up the storage of the vaccine and we can't use it. Someone's gone to a GP surgery 18 miles away to get some more. Can you come back in an hour?"

So she sat and waited and 50 minutes later the vaccine arrived. It all used to be so simple when mine was done by the nurse at our local GP, now it's at "drop-in vaccination centres" - how to unnecessarily complicate things! Looks like the same system will apply for our flu and Covid jabs.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org