General Chit Chat
tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#7041 Post by tango15 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:27 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:13 am
When I bought our house in the Cotswolds the previous lady was a natural birth consultant. Used to get loads of phone calls asking for advise which of course I gave =))
:-bd

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7042 Post by OFSO » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:02 pm

I bought some self-igniting firelighters. The packet didn't mention WHAT they ignited. So far it's my fingers. And not twigs, fire cones, or logs.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7043 Post by OFSO » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:32 pm

Yesterday a friend invited us to a meal on the occasion of his birthday. We could not refuse. He chose a tourist restaurant, no idea why, should know better. The meal was rubbish, tiny portions, service appalling, and food served late. One of the other guests said "we can't let him pay so we'll share the bill". I was so annoyed at the evening I could not sleep, sat in living room. (Rant over!)

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7044 Post by Hydromet » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:42 pm

Trying to contact my life insurance company over a minor matter. Submitted an on-line form and received an automated reply that they would respond within 5 working days. Two weeks later, no response, so I tried to phone them, and spent half an hour listening to tinny music and "Your call is important to us. An operator will be with you shortly." No response after another two weeks, so I emailed asking about the progress of my request and received the same automated reply. Gave it another couple of weeks and tried to ring again. Same result, but this time for an hour. I spent the hour finding the name of their CEO (they got a new one last year, but haven't updated their web site) and writing him a letter, telling him how poor his company's communication is, and advising that I will visit the company's office in two weeks, date and time specified. At that at that time I want all documents ready for me to sign and any other necessary paperwork prepared. I also asked for the name of the person for whom I should ask when I visit. I emailed a copy of the letter to the office, as well as posting it to him.

I shall report progress in two weeks time.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7045 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:58 pm

I was promised a reply to a tax query by HMRC "shortly" in 2013.
Have tried to complain three times, but they have ignored the complaints, even when delivered by registered post.
The phoneline is hopeless. They refuse to do email
The Ombudsman dodges the bullet by saying they can't look at anything until the HMRC completes their complaints process, which HMRC (knowing this) refuses to start.
I'm still waiting, over 10 years later.

Personally, when faced with official BS like this, I find a way of legally paying them less than they have denied me. And my ways tend to mean I am paying them this much less every year, not just the one-off BS they tried to stiff me with.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7046 Post by Hydromet » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:04 am

Occasionally I use carbon paper in the workshop for tracing patterns onto the wood I'm working with. A sheet lasts a long while, but eventually the carbon is all used up and it's time for a new sheet.
The last time I bought some several years ago, the newsagent wasn't even sure he had any, but when he found a full packet, told me to take the lot because no one uses it any more. I did, and stashed it away.
Today I went to use a new sheet, and found that they were all dried out and unusable. Bugger! Local stationer's on-line catalogue showed transfer paper, which seems to do the same job at a higher price, but when I went there they had none. Bugger again! Found that an art supplier, not exactly local, has it at an even higher price, and I have to buy 20 sheets. No doubt by the time I need a second sheet the other 19 will have dried out. Anyway, they've put a packet aside for me.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7047 Post by OFSO » Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:50 am

Topped up my Lebara Data SIM yesterday, went to connect today, money has disappeared as I didn't activate the card after paying. They are a bunch of no-good thieves. No wonder they have a rating of one star on Trust pilot.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7048 Post by llondel » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:38 pm

Hydromet wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:04 am
Occasionally I use carbon paper in the workshop for tracing patterns onto the wood I'm working with. A sheet lasts a long while, but eventually the carbon is all used up and it's time for a new sheet.
The last time I bought some several years ago, the newsagent wasn't even sure he had any, but when he found a full packet, told me to take the lot because no one uses it any more. I did, and stashed it away.
Today I went to use a new sheet, and found that they were all dried out and unusable. Bugger! Local stationer's on-line catalogue showed transfer paper, which seems to do the same job at a higher price, but when I went there they had none. Bugger again! Found that an art supplier, not exactly local, has it at an even higher price, and I have to buy 20 sheets. No doubt by the time I need a second sheet the other 19 will have dried out. Anyway, they've put a packet aside for me.
Keep it in a Ziploc bag or other airtight container? That should reduce the drying-out problem.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7049 Post by Hydromet » Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:28 pm

llondel wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:38 pm

Keep it in a Ziploc bag or other airtight container? That should reduce the drying-out problem.
Thanks - I hadn't even thought of it drying out. I used to just buy a couple of sheets when I needed them, and only took a lot when they were offered for almost nothing.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7050 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:02 pm

According to the Smithsonian, and others, the recommended environmental standard for paper-based collections is 35-65°F and 30-50 percent relative humidity (RH).
So, if you can bag it when the air is low humidity, and store it somewhere that the temperature is not over 70/21 degrees, that would be best.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7051 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun Apr 02, 2023 1:01 am

Carbon Paper ? Saw a Typewriter yesterday in a "Collectibles and Charity" shop. $35 U.S. 'twas in very poor condition, or I might have been tempted !

Thinks …. could I still buy a ribbon ?

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7052 Post by 4mastacker » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:24 am

ISTR that carbon paper used to be treated as hazardous goods. Anyone have a copy of the ICAO/IMO Dangerous Goods Regulations to hand?
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7053 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:39 am

Used to have a box of the stuff. One sheet? Used as many as could leave an impression on thin paper.

I guess it started to dye (sic) out when Thermofax came in in mid 60s.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7054 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:28 am

Dilbert_carbon_paper_0-2128572352.jpeg

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7055 Post by Hydromet » Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:20 pm

I think the death knell for carbon paper was when people routinely transferred documents electronically. Anyone who did (or didn't) need a copy could be CC'd.
At the price of the transfer paper, it should come in just behind money - just under $2 per A4 sheet, and they come in packs of 20.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7056 Post by Hydromet » Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:17 pm

Hydromet wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:42 pm
Trying to contact my life insurance company over a minor matter. Submitted an on-line form and received an automated reply that they would respond within 5 working days. Two weeks later, no response, so I tried to phone them, and spent half an hour listening to tinny music and "Your call is important to us. An operator will be with you shortly." No response after another two weeks, so I emailed asking about the progress of my request and received the same automated reply. Gave it another couple of weeks and tried to ring again. Same result, but this time for an hour. I spent the hour finding the name of their CEO (they got a new one last year, but haven't updated their web site) and writing him a letter, telling him how poor his company's communication is, and advising that I will visit the company's office in two weeks, date and time specified. At that at that time I want all documents ready for me to sign and any other necessary paperwork prepared. I also asked for the name of the person for whom I should ask when I visit. I emailed a copy of the letter to the office, as well as posting it to him.

I shall report progress in two weeks time.
It seems that contacting the organ grinder rather than the monkey worked. Received a resolution to my problem by email this morning. No explanation, no apology, but also no bill (I expected a $25 charge).

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7057 Post by Hydromet » Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:21 am

Follow up to 7055: Suddenly I'm getting FB messages asking how they can help. I wonder if there is some arse-kicking going on this morning.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7058 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:38 am

It is amazing that 'we' now have to rely on electronic communication.

I am embarking on a change of address which will involve a change of wi-fi facility.

I (used to) consider myself as 'well-connected', but currently fear that I will lose my connection in the next few weeks.

How do the truly elderly (!) or 'inept' manage?

I include telephonic communication - I currently have to renew my property insurance which was previously dealt with from my (currently defunct) landline, so I am having to rely on my mobile 'phone - how many old folks have mobiles?

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7059 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:04 am

I agree, how did we ever grow up? My parents didn’t have a telephone until I was over 21, if I wanted to phone my friends - if their parents had a phone, as some did - I walked to the street corner where there was a red telephone box, and stood outside jingling my two pennys to try to persuade the present user to hurry up !

No phone ? I walked, or cycled, around to
my friends and asked if Johnny could come out to play ?

Currently out of the Country, no WiFi for my iPhone, having to write this on my minuscule iPhone screen. Not happy, I’d probably go back to flimsy blue Airmail letters if they were still available. Progress ? Grrrrr.
l

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7060 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:53 pm

As kids, there would always be one group of us hanging around the public phone box on the estate. It was our job to receive calls and go find whoever the caller was trying to reach. Sweets were provided as rewards.
When we did eventually get a phone, we had a code with our parents, two calls where we would ring off after a set number of rings. No one answered the phone for 5 rings so that the code could be detected.
Three rings and then two rings meant my sister needed picking up from the swimming pool. This of course avoided the need to pay for a call, or for the kid to need money (which might be lost or stolen).