Rant of the Day v2.

General Chit Chat
PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#7461 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:17 pm

I'm not sure that the OBD monitors all aspects of the electrical system. :-?
So many: door locks, windows, seat adjustment, wipers, lights, entertainment system, ABS, traction control, blower fans, seat heaters, and more.
When the key fobs were programmed to the car the only relevant error code in the memory was battery voltage IIRC. :-??

PP

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7462 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:06 am

A few years ago, previous car not elektrikery. Parked car to explore a nearby beach following our move to the present address. Put keys in jacket pocket, which I then put in the back of the car and after selecting the locked position on the button closed the door, then pushed the vertical button on the drivers door and shut it. Damn ! just locked the keys in the car, sunset not too far off and miles from anywhere or other people. Noting a not too far distant house, walked over and the door was opened by a 12-ish year old girl, followed by her father who somewhat angrily asked why I was chatting to his daughter so late in the day ? He then offered to find a wire coat hangar and see if he could break into the car.

After some 20 minutes without success the daughter followed and asked what was taking so long, she needed her dinner. After explaining the failure to break in she then just pushed hard on the drivers door, and the lock button popped up ! She was the only one who had realised that I hadn't fully slammed the drivers door after pushing the button, and it was only on the first latch, so pushing it fully shut without holding the handle up caused it to unlock. Never knew that, lesson learned.

When in doubt ask a passing 5 year old. ( for iPhone help )

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7463 Post by OFSO » Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:49 am

If you'd bought a Xiaomi phone and loaded the appropriate app, you could unlock the door with that. I use my phone's blaster quite often...

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7464 Post by Woody » Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:47 pm

Standing by for a load of old jokes, but I locked my car keys in at a Liverpool match, after various attempts by Officers of the law, a Scouser walked up and asked what was wrong, he told the Police to leave and 15 seconds later I had my keys back :)
When all else fails, read the instructions.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7465 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:19 pm

Back in the 80's I had a Mercedes 180E. The central locking was pneumatic. If you locked yourself out of the car the trick was to get a tennis ball and pierce a hole in it. Then place the hole in the ball over the key slot in the driver's door and whack the tennis ball hard with your other hand...then the door unlocked!
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7466 Post by OFSO » Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:42 pm

I did much the same thing when my Swedish girlfriend wouldn't start in hot weather...

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7467 Post by Boac » Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:59 pm

Was a tennis ball large enough?

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7468 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:37 pm

The annual Grampian Electoral Register Information Request letter dropped through the letterbox this morning. "Check that all names, including everyone who is aged 14 and over are included" it said.

14!! At 14 I barely knew how to tie my shoelaces let alone have a view on which political party to support. I know they can't vote until 16 in Scotland but even so.....
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7469 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:08 pm

C16, cunning. They can count the number of under 15s and see how many to brainwash over the next year.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7470 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:33 am

If you'd bought a Xiaomi phone ...........
No such thing existed then. I've read that with the modern system and someone has a spare key, then hold your phone on speakerphone near the keyhole, and get the person on the other end to press the key near their phone, then the transmitted sound will open the door. Never tried it.

Rossian
Capt
Capt

#7471 Post by Rossian » Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:51 am

I recently tried to buy a specific railcard which can only be bought online. Went through the naus up to the point where I was trying to fit my webcam foto into the "frame" Oooooh your webcam doesn't seem to be working. Yes it is I'm sitting here looking at the picture. OK I'll drag in a passport photo I have. Oooooh we don't recognise that file reference Aaaargh. Give up.'
Send email to customer services - we endeavour to reply in 10 to 16 working days!!!
Get a reply and give all my details again including dragging the photo into the email. Hurrah! Well not quite - no response.
Eventually find a telephone number, which is answered immediately. Nice lady. Understands the problem, checks all my details again to find that the previous "operator" had done nothing with all the stuff I'd sent!! Sorts it out and says it'll be with you on Monday (tomorrow). All done in less than 5 mins. No hurrah - yet.
Why is it that when you can get to speak to a HUMAN you can sort things out pretty quickly.
OK I recognise that it doesn't work every time but my rule of thumb is that it does.

The Ancient Mariner

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7472 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:28 pm

'Artificial Intelligence' is just that.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7473 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:30 pm

So...Artificial Stupidity...? :-?

PP

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7474 Post by OFSO » Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:48 pm

Shifty Sunak has a darned cheek saying prisoners should be present for sentencing. Whenever something tricky comes up in Parliament (criticising Boris Johnson, or Nadine Dorris or discussing the Honours List for rewarding Blow Jobs) he's strangely elsewhere.

Rossian
Capt
Capt

Re: #7470....

#7475 Post by Rossian » Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:16 pm

....well it didn't arrive but then very often Monday post here is usually fliers.
Once more into the breach etc - on the phone again and again it was answered promptly, a chap this time. Helpful lady sent out the card - sans full name and address!! Give me bloody strength.
He took a fair time reviewing the previous chaos and is sending out another card with ALL the details and "as a gesture of apology" for his colleagues incompetence it is free for the next year. Still, no hurrah until it is my hot sweaty little hand though but.

The Ancient Mariner

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7476 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:16 pm

Once, at work, the Royal Mail wrote to say the morning delivery would now be mid-afternoon.

I asked if that meant tomorrow's mail would be delivered 18 hours earlier or yesterday's 6 hours later. No answer was the reply.

Now it's not worth opening our mail box until 3 on Tuesday .

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#7477 Post by jimtherev » Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:19 pm

Me dad was with British Army of the Rhine and (probably standing up when the music stopped) somehow got himself involved in train regulation. Their proud motto was that trains were never, ever, ever, more than 29 minutes late. Easy.
If train number 321, due to leave on the hour still had not left by xx29, you called it train 322 and sent it off 30 mins early.
Simple. Till he got found out.
Then back to Comms HQ, tail between legs...

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7478 Post by Woody » Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:52 am

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... d-Cup.html.

After the chaos of the England Rugby team arriving in T4 after winning the World Cup in Sydney, there’s probably some sort of protocol for a situation like this.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7479 Post by tango15 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:07 am

Woody wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:52 am
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... d-Cup.html.

After the chaos of the England Rugby team arriving in T4 after winning the World Cup in Sydney, there’s probably some sort of protocol for a situation like this.

So after all the adoration, the British Lionesses ignore their adoring fans. I am not surprised. Recently, I have twice attended the Lionesses games at MK Dons and saw exactly the same behaviour. There were crowds of kids with their parents, waiting for them to come up from the dressing room, and holding out programmes and shirts to be signed. Despite the kids politely asking them to sign whatever they had, most of the team ignored them and went straight into the ballroom to a reception. The few who did stop had a sort of resigned look on their faces - no smiles, just perfunctory attention and then away as quickly as they could.
If they continue to do this, the kids, which is what the whole thing is aimed at, will become disillusioned, and move on to something else. At most of the men's games I've worked, the players will come over and sign stuff, usually after the game. I think this lot needs to be brought down a peg or two.
I have no problems with the whole women's football thing, except that like coloured people in TV adverts these days, it's totally disproportionate. It's not as entertaining as the men's game, and there seems to be a lot of attitude on both sides.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7480 Post by Woody » Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:15 am

I didn’t watch any of the Women’s World Cup, but there again I didn’t watch much of the Men’s one either, but several people have mentioned that the Women players seem to spend less time feigning injury after a tackle, is this due to the fact that Women have a higher pain threshold than Men?