Rant of the Day v2.

General Chit Chat
Fliegenmong
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#3241 Post by Fliegenmong » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:48 am

In other words I'm taking more out of the bucket than my share. Tough.

Ha ha, I was just discussing with a Lady friend of mine how uglier & uglier the world becomes, & that phrase kinda sums it up. :))

Something I'd rather expect to hear from a self obsessed phone addicted 20 something 'influencer'.. "I'm ok f@#k everyone else"
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go... Oscar Wilde

Capetonian

#3242 Post by Capetonian » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:55 am

I pay for 20. I get 4. I kick up a fuss and they increase my speed.

If the other people are content with a lower speed, that's their problem. I'm not stealing from them, they also have the ability to complain, so presumably they are happy with a slower speed.
If I were going in and cutting their cables to increase my speed at their expense, that's rather different.

Maybe if I'd phrased my comment as in other words I'm being given more out of the bucket than my share you wouldn't have found anything to pick on.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3243 Post by Boac » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:05 am

For UK residents, NB 20/3 for the Broadband USO - you 'should' then be able to get 10Mbps min.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3244 Post by Hydromet » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:35 am

Interesting - since the storms a week ago our internet has been running via the cell phone network, as a lot of cables are still down. Our speeds are download 5.6, upload 1.0. For normal browsing there's no noticeable difference to normal. I don't know what it's like for streaming, as I gave that up as a bad joke while the cables were still intact.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3245 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:46 am

BOAC, I have a 48mbs connection. My guaranteed minimum speed is 38. Measured at the router it is a rock steady 40.

Speed at my device is usually in the 30s but sometimes 20s but we have 5 extenders, several devices online and lots of others like Echo s also live.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3246 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:00 am

Boac wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:09 am
I'm afraid you are both (literally) getting what you pay for. That sort of advertising 'up to' is now banned for new contracts.
I thought about lobby to OFTEL about either banning the "up" part or impose a guarantee. It seems some on the 50 line they offer a guarantee a self-imposed guarantee but it is virtually useless. A very small reduction to the line rental is speed falls below 45.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3247 Post by Boac » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:38 am

RiS wrote:I thought about lobby to OFTEL about either banning the "up" part or impose a guarantee.
- they are ahead of you. As I said,it is now not 'legal'. What is in place (in the UK) is a guaranteed minimum speed, which if you do not achieve due to the ISP's fault, you are free to discontinue the contract without penalty.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3248 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:48 am

I was referring wrongly to OFTEL I used the name incorrectly. The correct one here is the Telecommunications and Post Services Authority. Dropping an ISP for another one does not sound very practical as the new one might not be much better. It is better to impose a serious refund if the speeds drop below a threshold.

Capetonian

#3249 Post by Capetonian » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:54 am

It annoys me when companies offer a refund/compensation for lousy service. It's an easy cop-out. If I wanted the lowest quality, I would have gone to the cheapest provider.
I don't want money back, I want the service or product I've paid for. If I pay for a F class flight it's because that is what I want and am happy to pay the fare. I don't want to be downgraded to pleb class and given a refund.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3250 Post by Boac » Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:56 am

Very unlikely, RiS, in the UK that another ISP will not produce the same results (other than Virgin Coax) since they use the same network and wires for fixed broadband, so the rules is right!

It basically means that if the ISP talk a gullible person into an '80Mbps' contract when your line can only deliver 15Mbps you can ditch the contract and take out a cheaper, lower speed, one if you wish with no penalty.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3251 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:23 pm

Thanks Boac, Capetonian if I have a lousy F class experience and the refund amount to another trip albeit Y class it is not a bad deal. Currently the local branch of a global telcom is going around offering decent amount of data as a refund/compensation for a outage they had some days back. Yes if I was not able to make a vital call because of the outage the Gbs offered will not be much but then again if the only call I failed to make is something that could wait then such a compensation is acceptable. Even more it offers some points to the company when renewal time comes.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3252 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:08 pm

I got compensation from my mobile operator last year. Not a problem as we didnt use the phone😀

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3253 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:13 pm

Heard a new Met term today 'a belt of organised rain tomorrow'.

Some woman from the Royal Meteorology Society on the BBC at tea time.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#3254 Post by jimtherev » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:34 pm

Edited update on me conversation with BT.
Me: 'rant, rant, rant...'
Them: 'Ah, waffle, glad you called (etc) having problems with copper. Fibre available. Only x quid and a couple of virgins extra a year.'
Me: 'Thank you for helping me with my decision.'
Them: Uh?
Me: 'We're moving next month to a new building and beginning to negotiate for a new provider. After what you've just told me it won't be you. Good morning.'
(True, too. Hehehe.)

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3255 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:22 pm

jimtherev, don't you have a contract with BT obliging you to use them as provider for some time? How much more expensive it was? In two cases here the cost is about 40 % more for a slightly worse deal - less time to international calls?

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3256 Post by llondel » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:39 pm

That's usually tied to the residence. I've often wondered what would happen if you moved out, they insisted you honour the contract for the rest of the year and you agreed but pointed out that you're paying for that pair to the house and if the new people coming in want a phone then BT must install a new pair because they're insisting you pay for the existing one. Otherwise they can't demonstrate loss due to breach of contract if someone else takes over the line as installed.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3257 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:57 pm

We can "drag" the number where ever we go within the county/shire/prefecture/region if it is PSTN and within the country if it is VoIP - I have seen a number from an island to be used in Mainland. So if one moves, he/she can take the number at the new home - provided it is within the region. In this case the cost for the move is 35 € for the labour to do the installation in the new place.

Once when I moved to a new residence, I was told a new contract was started after the line was connected to the new apartment but after a few minutes of discussion we agreed I was on the previous contact and I only had to maintain it for the remaining time.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3258 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:02 pm

We 'ported' to a new home, different number, simply suspending the old number and resuming with the new one a few weeks later.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3259 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:30 pm

I retain the 'family' number that we have had since 1960.
One would-be supplier wanted a fee to retain that number - so they were refused.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#3260 Post by jimtherev » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:37 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:22 pm
jimtherev, don't you have a contract with BT obliging you to use them as provider for some time? How much more expensive it was? In two cases here the cost is about 40 % more for a slightly worse deal - less time to international calls?
Absolutely right. Contract is about to end, but we've been stalling about renewal while sussing out the opposition. It'll be a bit messy during the move, as we probably won't be over there in time for the new contract with whomever to kick in. But we'll muddle along... might even have to use the mobile phones for a week or two...