Rant of the Day v2.

General Chit Chat
Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#2981 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:49 am

ExSp33db1rd , I agree about the label. I used to buy tomato sauce in bottles as I like glass and wanted to re-use them. Even for recycling the label must be off. And it wastes so much water and washing liquid that it is not worth the effort. I thought for environmental reasons the label (with ingredients, Best Before Date etc) must be required as easy to remove. And also I agree about the self-till and the lack of price tags or a scanner which works.

Regarding packaging if I buy something that means I need it and thus I don't mind the work necessary to open a an open-proof packaging.

I am fine with not-very well tested products as long there is a no-questions asked replacement policy. At the beginning of the previous thread, I used to complain about the handsfree headset for my mobile. I found a brand which offers a two year warranty. Every four to six months the plug stops working and they replace it immediately (so far). The only time there was an issue was the last one they did not a yellow one and I had to accept a pink. As long a device is replaced rapidly (either from store or at home if it is too big) without the company trying to avoid the issue I don't mind any teething problem.

Finally e-statement I am not sure where I stand: as long it is downloadable it is to feel saving space at the bookshelves but on the other hand still I am not very good at reading from a screen against having a piece of paper in front of me.

My rant: my father gave me some money to deposit on his account via his bankcard. I am check the deposit function, I insert the correct PIN only to be informed that "the last action has been cancelled". And the bank prides on its IT interface with customers.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2982 Post by ian16th » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:44 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:58 pm
The book's better.
Care to nominate a case where a movie has been better than the book it was based on?

I can't.
I recommend all of Nevil Shute's works.
+1
Cynicism improves with age

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2983 Post by ian16th » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:49 pm

OFSO wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:42 pm
But this is ! For an amusing contrast, have a look at my wife's review of the restaurant Moro, London, UK., on Trip Advisor, entitled 'Avoid like the plague' posted last week under OFSO25.
Looking at that I thought that the OFSO's must be very wealthy, to patronise a place that expensive.

Then I realised that Tripadvisor had 'helpfully' converted the prices to ZA Rand for me!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2984 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:11 pm

I think most of the Alistair MacLean books are better in movies - Where Eagles Dare, When Eight Bells Toll, etc.
This is partly because the action sequences in them work better visually, partly because they all had a decent budget spent on the movies, and partly because they all had really great actors.
The Lord of the Rings film trilogy is fantastic, though the books are fantastic in a slightly different way. This is true of many epics, like Dr Zhivago.
I think slow, technical development works better in books; Nevil Shute, Michael Crichton, etc.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2985 Post by ian16th » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:28 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:11 pm
I think most of the Alistair MacLean books are better in movies - Where Eagles Dare,
SM's favourite movie.

Whenever its on the TV she watches it.

Capetonian

#2986 Post by Capetonian » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:40 pm

have a look at my wife's review of the restaurant Moro, London, UK., on Trip Advisor, entitled 'Avoid like the plague' posted last week under OFSO25.
Perhaps it should be called '!Que morro!' whch more or less means 'what a nerve'.
On the other hand, 'moro' derives from Moor and means a North African/Arab but is generally not used in a very positive sense.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2987 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:40 pm

'Where Eagles Dare' - I have it on BluRay, and we saw it 2 days ago.
I can recommend the Bluray on a big TV, as you get feelings of vertigo and coldness that for me weren't there with DVD.
Of course, spending a fair bit of time on a roof in the snow recently, waving hammers about in the dark as the wind picked up, may have had something to do with my newfound sensitivity ;)))

fin
Capt
Capt

#2988 Post by fin » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:53 pm

I thought the movie (1950 version with Kerr and Granger) was better than the King Solomon's Mines book, and in fact I preferred the Ava Gardner/Gregory Peck movie to the Nevil Shute book, although I enjoyed it as well. Recently, I read every Nevil Shute book my library could source and am sad that they have no more.
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2989 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:14 pm

Fin:
Check your library's e-book collection. My digital library has many of his books.
I use the Overdrive App to access and read them. Works great.

PP

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2990 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:20 pm

Bought a set of cutlery, 10 year guarantee. One knife got rusty so took the knife back for a replacement. First suggestion was contact the company. Wrong!

You must bring the whole lot back then.
Wrong, better idea. I get a new box, take one knife out, out rusty knife in - job done 😀

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2991 Post by llondel » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:33 pm

A trick with peeling labels is to do it slowly. A lot of times the glue will separate given time, but if pulled too fast, the force required is greater than the strength of the box or label material. I can take a large shipping label off a cardboard box if I have the time to do it.

As for taking labels off stuff going for recycling, never done that. It all goes in the recycling bin and I assume the company picking it up can do it. Nothing to stop them dumping everything in a big vat of water to soak labels off and wash everything that needs it and it would be far more efficient in time and resources to do it in bulk.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2992 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:47 pm

WD40 can assist removal of sticky labels:-

fin
Capt
Capt

#2993 Post by fin » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:41 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:14 pm
Fin:
Check your library's e-book collection. My digital library has many of his books.
I use the Overdrive App to access and read them. Works great.

PP
Many thanks PP. I was unclear, as "my library" has an ebook collection called "live-brary" which is what I just read through. I tried to cut and paste the six books and it won't so they are here as a photo. I will look for more when I finish the backlog I am reading now.
nevil.JPG
nevil.JPG (25.55 KiB) Viewed 294 times
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2994 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:51 pm

Fin:
Here is the e-book availability from my library:
https://catalog.phoenixpubliclibrary.or ... searchid=1

PP

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2995 Post by 4mastacker » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:14 pm

How the feckity-feck can the BBC justify sending Clive Myhrie to report on the fires in Alison's bailiwick when there are more than capable reporters already in Australia. The local authorities have enough on their plates without having a team of BBC journalists trampling all over the place. Still, it's only the licence -fee payers who are funding the latest wasteful, and unnecessary juncket?
It's always my fault - SWMBO

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2996 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:14 pm

Wrong, better idea. I get a new box, take one knife out, out rusty knife in - job done
Well done, I approve ! Recently bought a length of garden hosepipe complete with spray nozzle clipped on to one end. The nozzle was faulty, so quickly unclipped it, took it back and asked to exchange it. Cannot. Must bring the whole hose assembly (now in use and spread around the garden ) back, obtain a refund then re-purchase. My action is obvious, but unfortunately all individually sold nozzles, and complete hose and nozzle assemblies, had sold out over Christmas. So ..I will now lurk around from time to time and just swap my nozzle. Tough. Guess I must look for CCTV cameras tho' ? Thinks, must at least find the receipt in case the siren goes off as I leave, must at least be able to prove that I am not quietly stealing a nozzle, and continue to argue my case if necessary. All for $10. pathetic.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2997 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:48 pm

Where does he find the time?
In 1987, he married Allegra Mostyn-Owen, daughter of the art historian William Mostyn-Owen and Italian writer Gaia Servadio. The couple divorced in 1993 and twelve days later Johnson married Marina Wheeler, a barrister and daughter of journalist and broadcaster Charles Wheeler and his wife, Dip Singh. Five weeks later, Wheeler and Johnson's first child was born. The Wheeler and Johnson families have known each other for decades, and Marina Wheeler was at the European School, Brussels, at the same time as her future husband. They have four children: two daughters and two sons.
Between 2000 and 2004, Johnson had an affair with Spectator columnist Petronella Wyatt when he was its editor, resulting in two terminated pregnancies. In April 2006, the News of the World alleged that Johnson was having an affair with Guardian journalist Anna Fazackerley. The pair refused to comment and shortly afterwards Johnson employed Fazackerley.
In 2009, Johnson fathered a daughter with Helen MacIntyre, an arts consultant. In 2013, the Court of Appeal quashed an injunction seeking to ban reporting of his daughter's existence. The judge ruled that the public had a right to know about Johnson's "reckless" behaviour.
In September 2018, Johnson and Wheeler issued a statement confirming that after 25 years of marriage they had separated "several months ago", and had begun divorce proceedings.
In 2019, The Sunday Times reported that, in 2013, Johnson had a sexual relationship with American technology entrepreneur Jennifer Arcuri.
In 2019 Johnson was living with Carrie Symonds, the daughter of Matthew Symonds, a co-founder of The Independent newspaper, and Josephine McAfee, a lawyer. Symonds had worked for the Conservative party since 2009 and worked on Johnson's 2012 campaign to be re-elected as Mayor.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2998 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:04 am

Maybe each liaison only lasts 30 seconds? :ymdevil:
"Took him minutes,
Took her nowhere"
to quote David Bowie

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2999 Post by Hydromet » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:38 am

I never realised that so many women had such poor taste.

Slasher

#3000 Post by Slasher » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:54 am

Boris must have one heck of a huge dong.