Rant of the Day v2.

General Chit Chat
Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#2581 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:31 pm

603DX, in excuse it was over 50 years ago and I didn't use one.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2582 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:35 pm

603DX, which then led me to find out about Sex Bolts.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2583 Post by boing » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:04 pm

So, I just joined the ranks of the telephone company aggrieved.

A salesman from our present 'phone and internet service provider contacted us last week with an offer he hoped we couldn't refuse. I didn't refuse it but it cost him a few extra benefits, guarantees and sweeteners before I said yes. These included that a new underground cable would be supplied at no charge if required (the old one had been noisy in the past), that we would get two separate internet modem systems both with phone service (one for the house and one for the office) and a few other details. Work to start Monday, the expected completion of the work to be about two days if the new cable was not required and three days if it was.

Technician arrives promptly but when I discussed the job with him I got a blank stare "My work order doesn't contain any of that extra stuff!".

Back to customer service and proper job rescheduled for next week so we have a partially disassembled modem system hooked crudely back together for the week.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2584 Post by ian16th » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:31 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:35 pm
603DX, which then led me to find out about Sex Bolts.
Didn't know the name, but I've used them to fasten cabinets together.

Line up cabinets, clamp them together, drill 2 holes, fasten with 'sex bolts', remove clamps and fit doors.

Job done!
Cynicism improves with age

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2585 Post by OFSO » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:53 pm

What's with this cables business ? Both in the UK and Spain, our phones and internet are fed by magic boxes that only ask for mains electricity to light up the row of green LEDs and feed everything via ethernet or wifi or phone line.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2586 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:50 pm

I am offering every month or so and upgrade to 50kbs from the nominal current 24 Kbs actual about 4 as admitted by the company. The price would go up from 15 to 27 Euros per month and it would be necessary to change the router as the new line would need the router to always be on to work. I have a serious dislike for the VOIP technology and I want to be the last to switch to that system.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2587 Post by Alisoncc » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:02 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:50 pm
I have a serious dislike for the VOIP technology and I want to be the last to switch to that system.
Sorry Sir but.....

Read somewhere recently that what we know as landline PABX's in many countries are gradually being phased out. Being replaced by VOIP as the only domestic connections are internet.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2588 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:36 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:35 am
Alisoncc wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:02 am
Rwy in Sight wrote:
I have a serious dislike for the VOIP technology and I want to be the last to switch to that system.
Sorry Sir but.....

Read somewhere recently that what we know as landline PABX's in many countries are gradually being phased out. Being replaced by VOIP as the only domestic connections are internet.
Hence my rant. I don't want to move to VOIP at all even if the offer to switch before the the obligatory change is very sweet. And every time it is worst (less calls and more expensive) that the current deal.

As a matter of fact I want the last user to switch.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2589 Post by llondel » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:48 pm

I have a VOIP PABX at home. It does useful things like look up incoming CLI in a database and doesn't bother ringing the house phones if it finds an objectionable match. It also pops up a little box on my PC to tell me what it knows about the call, and makes it easy to add the number to the database.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2590 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:22 pm

llondel wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:48 pm
I have a VOIP PABX at home. It does useful things like look up incoming CLI in a database and doesn't bother ringing the house phones if it finds an objectionable match. It also pops up a little box on my PC to tell me what it knows about the call, and makes it easy to add the number to the database.
And once the router goes tits up no more telephone calls.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2591 Post by Alisoncc » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:28 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:22 pm
And how often is that likely to happen. My current VOIP Billion Router must be all of eight years old, and still giving sterling service. Whereas my landline used to "die" everytime we had more than a few inches of rain.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2592 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:57 pm

We have the opposite experiences. During RA or even RA+ during the last 24 hours I got sterling service from my PSTN line and it has been so for the past I remember. Obviously I just jinxed but I hope for a short length of time. Earlier this year my telcom provider decided to update the firmware of the routers it distributed for new or renewing customers. The first was written off, as was the second. Finally a technician suggested to use a brand new but older model so I have some history with routers.

My parents have a VOIP LINE since 2007. A thunder strike too out the router and fortunately it was promptly repaired for free from the telcom provider, I was instructed to reboot it every few weeks, they had a power failure some weeks ago and a blown fuse at the leaving room required emergency action. Plus during the negotiation they refused to provide (like they used to do) a UPS or even a power-bank to save the situation in case of power failure although they do so for sick or old people.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2593 Post by llondel » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:52 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
llondel wrote:
That sort of happens anyway, it's a cable phone so their bit of it needs power to work. If my stuff loses power then the VOIP adapter drops to straight through and their line connects directly to the phone. If the backup battery on the cable modem is still working then it'll all still work. I do have an external VOIP number too, but that's a UK number that my relatives use to call me, and I occasionally use when I need to call someone in the UK.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2594 Post by 1DC » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:22 am

Bit annoyed today, got asked by the NHS if i would go on a trial to research some medicine that may reduce the risk of stroke or heart attack. I had a stroke four years ago.The trial would last five years.
When i told the trial group i would be on holiday for a couple of moths they said OK but check with your travel insurance company. I did and they said if i go on the trial it will invalidate my insurance. This despite the British Insurance Association stating that the risk to people on medical trials is so neglible it shouldn't be considered when providing insurance.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2595 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:48 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
I am offering every month or so and upgrade to 50kbs from the nominal current 24 Kbs actual about 4 as admitted by the company. The price would go up from 15 to 27 Euros per month and it would be necessary to change the router as the new line would need the router to always be on to work. I have a serious dislike for the VOIP technology and I want to be the last to switch to that system.
In contrast MiL, 94, will be joining the 21st century so that her sons can install security cameras. She contacted her phone provider. Survey next week, installation to follow. Bill to go down by £5.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2596 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:53 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
llondel wrote:
The point is not that but that users are increasingly binning any landline - voice or data - and switching to mobile. They get a massive data allowance and can stream to TV or computer.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2597 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:17 am

PN, my data plan is 1.8 Gb and it is averageish between what is available for the money spent. We are far from a truly massive data allowance on mobiles. As a matter of courtesy, I ask my visitors to hand me their mobile to share the WiFi code with them.

Magnus
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2598 Post by Magnus » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:44 am

When we were in CPT, the hotel gave us a locked mobile with 3 numbers; hotel reception, manager's mobile and Uber. Nice touch.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2599 Post by OFSO » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:52 am

Eleven quid a month with 3 for almost unlimited everything for the phone. Never get near the limit. MiFi router 22 quid a month for broadband internet and phones connect via WiFi when indoors. Nearly all phone calls made via WhatsApp. Who needs landlines ?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#2600 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:03 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:17 am
As a matter of courtesy, I ask my visitors to hand me their mobile to share the WiFi code with them.
My son in law has a chalk board in his hall for all visitors.