Rant of the Day v2.

General Chit Chat
Capetonian

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#1901 Post by Capetonian » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:32 am

Yes, the wankers haven't realised that boiling a litre of water with a 1kw kettle will take 3 times longer than boiling it with a 3kw kettle, and in fact could use marginally more power due to greater heat loss during the longer process, but never let reality or common sense into the world of politics.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1902 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:45 am

Mention of railcards, if you have a disability you can get a disability railcard, this covers you and your carer.

If you have a hearing aid that counts. Your card has greater utility and costs less than anotger.

CremeEgg
Snr FO
Snr FO

#1903 Post by CremeEgg » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:01 pm

My good lady has spent days rearranging the bathroom cabinet contents throwing out things. We (she ) is now down to just 157 different containers of shampoo etc etc. I can't be bothered to count all the lipsticks, eye liner, mascara - probably around another 50. And then there's a fair few in the bedroom.

I seem to exist on just five - two different shampoos, mouth wash, deodorant, toothpaste. No complaints about personal hygiene from my good lady either so it can't be that bad as she seems super sensitive to any malodorous gases emanating from my derriere. Sorry for the frog speak Ex-A.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1904 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:05 pm

ROTFLOL, so true. I have two different shampoos, one near empty one ready to replace it. Finished the toothpaste a few days ago; I reckon I can get another day squeezed out.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1905 Post by Hydromet » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:28 pm

WTF do they do in the bathroom? Our bathroom vanity unit has four drawers on each side and a larger space in the middle. On one side I have three drawers - toothbrush, toothpaste & combs in one, talc & spares in one and shaving stuff in one. I have one shampoo and one cake of soap in the shower. Everything else is full of Mrs. H's stuff, plus about half a dozen plastic bottles of mysterious chemicals in the shower. Make up is in the bedroom.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1906 Post by OFSO » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:44 pm

Expletive deleted estate agent phoned to say potential buyers can buy a property on the Ballspond Rd for £50k less than we want in London. Mrs OFSO told agent to remind potential buyers that Ballspond Rd is an extremely busy main road, whereas our tree-lined back street in Islington gets maybe one or two vehicles an hour, and cats happily doze in the road at midday. WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO REMIND ESTATE AGENT OF THIS ! Wtf are they doing for their 2% commission.

Capetonian

#1907 Post by Capetonian » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:00 pm

Wankers!
I can buy a 1989 Renault Clito piece of French crap for £500, whereas a 2017 Audi A3 2.0 Tdi will cost me £30,000. Is that an argument in favour of the Renault?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1908 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:10 pm

Wtf are they doing for their 2% commission.
1. Selling it for 50k less still gets them their commission, albeit somewhat reduced. Not selling it gets them nothing.
2. They know all the other estate agents are no better, and they know you know that too.
3. They like BSing people; it's so much easier than trying to do the job properly ;)))
4. Their experience, as with the equally despised jobs of politician, journalist, etc, is that enough people will give in before they do, and provide them with an easy life.
5. They have all been doing this since they were 2 years old, that's a lot of experience.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1909 Post by OFSO » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:27 pm

Fox3, Mrs OFSO loves you for that ! Sums it up BEAUTIFULLY.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1910 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:30 pm

..and there's no point arguing with them. Remember, it's like wrestling with a pig; you won't win, you get covered in muck, and the pig enjoys it.

Best bet, I've found, is simply to say No or Yes, thank them for the call, and say you must get back to your work. It gives them nothing to work on to persuade you round to their way of thinking.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1911 Post by OFSO » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:04 pm

Brilliant ! Noted.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1912 Post by llondel » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:47 pm

Depending on your circumstances it can make sense to settle for a lower amount now than hold out for the possibilty of more later. I remember selling a house for less than I really wanted to because the market was just not moving at that point (6 months with nothing) and I could easily see it failing for a few more. It was costing me in travel and room rent (I was moving to a job the other side of the country) so I did the quick sum of how many weeks of that the difference represented and decided to accept the offer. I suspect that OFSO is not quite in that situation, although flying to Spain and back must add up to something.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1913 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:00 am

Female cosmetics ?

Ditto ( at least Mrs. ExS ! )

Just been away for 2 days from our present location near Los Angeles, to stay with friends in Las Vegas. We flew. Mrs. ExS needed 3 days to try, unsuccessfully, to decide what cosmetics to take, and we had to pay to take a suitcase as hold baggage. I took my electric razor, and one change of shirt and underwear in a free bag allowed in the cabin if it fitted under the seat and didn’t need overhead locker space, which was charged for. ( Spirit Airlines )

Sisemen

#1914 Post by Sisemen » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:01 am

I flogged my last house at the back end of 2017 after it had been on the market for a year. I took a $200,000 hit on the price. The price I got ($500,000) was sufficient for our needs. One year later I asked the agent what they would market that property for now given a totally stagnated market. $350,000 was the reply!!! That was for a 6 bed 3 bath on 12 acres!

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1915 Post by OFSO » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:21 am

One must offset the fact that staying all the time in one place is boring, and that travelling by train is mostly comfortable and far easier than flying - about ten hours door-to-door as we disembark in London 15 minutes from our front door - so at present the wait to sell both properties isn't onorous and we enjoy the changes - wife likes the south, I prefer London, but both are very different.. Biggest unknown is how will prices go after Brexit. London house is 40 minutes walk from the City where the million plus earners work. Biggest unexpected event was dumping of hundreds of similar properties on the market after government changed tenancy laws on July 1st.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1916 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:38 am

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:30 pm

Best bet, I've found, is simply to say No or Yes, thank them for the call, and say you must get back to your work. It gives them nothing to work on to persuade you round to their way of thinking.
Better than yes/no is 'thank you for sharing that with me'.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1917 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:48 am

Llondel, I bet many people don't factor in the 'cost of ownership ' when marketing their house. We would often see a house sitting empty in a stagnant or falling market when the value drops through the 'hit' price and the sale money could have been put to better use.

When we sold we accepted a hit of £25k as we found exactly what we wanted and were prepared to pay over the odds. Our seller was very good and hung on 4 months as our buyers messed us around right royally. Finally, when pressed, they withdrew. Our sellers then sold taking a £6k hit over our offer. We got lucky, we then sold with just a £5k hit.

The downside was the cost of equipping a new build which included ripping out 3 crap bathrooms.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#1918 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:24 pm

Back to Jungle Bunny Wog noise again. Across the other side of the diminishing lagoon. Give it a few weeks and I will be able to drive across there and bash their ignorant heads in or shoot them. The only bonus of our lagoon drying up is that they will no longer be able to farm there, F...ing b@stards.

Apart from that everything is cool here, F...ing Wogs. Should never have given their country back to them. Bad decision. I would have made a bloody good governor.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1919 Post by OFSO » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:21 pm

Everybody posting on this site would have made an excellent Governor of SOMEWHERE. I would, for example nominate K&C as governor of the Kamchatka Peninsular.

Capetonian

#1920 Post by Capetonian » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:13 pm

Don't you think the people of the Kamchatka Peninsula have suffered enough under Soviet oppression and a harsh climate? What have they done to have KaknCrap inflicted upon them?