Rant of the Day v2.

General Chit Chat
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#5781 Post by OFSO » Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:14 pm

Yes you can access your own records. "You have to come here and fill out a form. Next week? Sorry no appointments then... "

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#5782 Post by Smeagol » Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:30 pm

Mrs S' NHS medical records show that she is allergic to warfarin ( records viewed whilst attending a different surgery to that normally used and shown to us by a paramedic), which is all very odd since she has been taking the drug for 50 years. When we requested that this incorrect information be removed we were told that it could only be done by the person who entered it!

System is broken.
We hates Bagginses!

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5783 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:15 pm

I was going to give myself one of these for Christmas but it's out of stock! ~X( :(( :))

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-oled65r1pu ... oled-4k-tv

LG SIGNATURE OLED R 65'' Class Rollable 4K Smart TV w/ AI ThinQ® (64.5'' Diag)

$100,000.00

Out of Stock Free Shipping with In-Home Delivery

PP

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5784 Post by OFSO » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:20 pm

Aaaargh. Notice wife's name and DOB on her CV test certificate incorrect. Back for another test tomorrow. Luckily only twenty euros.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5785 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:24 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:15 pm
I was going to give myself one of these for Christmas but it's out of stock! ~X( :(( :))

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-oled65r1pu ... oled-4k-tv

LG SIGNATURE OLED R 65'' Class Rollable 4K Smart TV w/ AI ThinQ® (64.5'' Diag)

$100,000.00

Out of Stock Free Shipping with In-Home Delivery

PP
$100,000.00!

Shurely shome mishtake Mr Bond? ;)))

Does that price include the girl, the yuppy pad and the pool/aquarium! =))

"Come and scuba in my think tank..."
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5786 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:54 pm

Just phoned ADT as we have an alarm fault. Within 5 minutes I get a text asking me to grade how they did. Why do businesses waste my time by doing this. If you haven't done well you will be hearing from me. Simple. Leave me alone. Signed "Victor"...that's what Mrs C16 just called me. I don't believe it.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5787 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:09 pm

I am disorientated (timewise).
According to my 'history', I slept from 2pm to 4 pm.
It is now dark, and I'm having difficulty deciding what 'day' it is.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5788 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:37 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:54 pm
Simple. Leave me alone. Signed "Victor"...that's what Mrs C16 just called me. I don't believe it.
You are in good (or maybe very bad) company C16. My better half told me only yesterday that I am becoming more and more like Victor Meldrew by the day! :)

Mind you didn't someone say that Victor Meldrew " is the only sane voice in a mad world"! ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5789 Post by Boac » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:51 pm

If they had, I just wouldn't believe it.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5790 Post by Karearea » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:07 am

To the CBD today, 5 circuits of a couple of blocks to find a parking-space where I needed it.

Dear pedestrian, raising your shoulders to your ears and tiptoeing across the street like a cartoon-burglar will not make you less of a nuisance, just wait till I've gone by, or use a pedestrian-crossing.

Dear driver ahead, take your right-of-way, don't yield to the car backing out, it holds up me and the six cars behind me.
Around the world thoughts shall fly In the twinkling of an eye

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5791 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:24 am

What part of Give Way don't NZ drivers understand ? Why do they always stop ! Give Way means "Do Not Impede The Progress Of. We are obliged to Give Way at a roundabout if approaching traffic from the right is close, no problem with that, but NZ drivers stop if anything is in sight, however distant. I recently underwent a voluntary AA Aged Drivers Assessment and put this point to the instructor, who agreed, and said that if anyone he is examining for the issue of a driving licence stops unnecessarily at Give Way signs, he fails them. One of the best signs I have seen in this respect was Merge Like A Zip, erected at one Auckland motorway intersection, but sadly now removed.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5792 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:38 am

Has anyone ever tried to advise the UK tax authorities - HMRC - of a change of address online ? There are links to Change of Address, but attempting to do this I was obliged to create a Gateway Account, and gain a Gateway ID number. This involved such info as name, e-mail, mobile No. N.I. No. New Password, "Recency" word ( WTF is that ? ) scrutinise 2 e-mails they then sent me to prove that it was a vailid e-mail, one showing my new 12 digit ID which I had to send back, then take a OTP code from my mobile phone, an International call from the UK of course, and insert into the website, then, finally answer questions from 2 of the 3 options offered, which were 1) UK passport details 2 ) Credit card past history, e.g. when did I first apply for a Credit card or line of credit ? ( can you remember details from the mid-'60's ? ) or 3) Details from a Northern Ireland driving licence ( never even visited N.I. ) I failed that test, only being able to answer questions about my UK passport - do I even have to have one, being now NZ resident but liable for UK tax from my B.A. pension ? I once got to a page which wanted me to insert my postcode, but only a UK one., International not accepted. After 2 hours stress and frustration I gave up.

NOWHERE on the site is a mailing address published, but from years past I do have two, one in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, and one in Nottingham. When I have regained my temper I'll write to both, but does anyone know of an address to advise HMRC of a simple change of address ? They send me a Notice of Coding every year, so I need to advise them of my new, local, address.

World's Gone Mad.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5793 Post by OFSO » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:04 am

Changed address three years ago, correct one is on my website, received this year's tax statement by e-mail, never received previous years but just receive fines for not paying it! Letters of complaint to tax office in Bristol and CEO in Liverpool. I write to the self assessment office in Bristol. I'll look up the post code.

Pay As You Earn and Self Assessment
HM Revenue and Customs
BX9 1AS
United Kingdom

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5794 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:17 am

ExSp, welcome to the wonderful world of Online and its corollary its WFH (Working from Home). This means your mail will have gone to two incorrect mail boxes were each will be shuffled by some numpty into several piles. Each pole to be sent to a different office worker WFH.

Your letters will be handled by two different people, identified for Redirect, bundled and posted the the Redirect office in a different country, say NI.

Your two letters are now in the same office where they will be sorted into piles.....

Only joking, probably worse than that as due to Covid......

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5795 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:25 am

Karearea, must have been a good day, only 2 rants in 5 circuits. 😊

ExSp, in Guernsey there is a 3 way junction with the airport road feeding into another leading to St Peter Port. This Y junction has a yellow box marking. If you want to cause chaos arrive at the junction and stop. If you are closest it is your ROW even if you see a car approaching from the right.
At best you will create a traffic jam, at worse a rear end shunt.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5796 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:32 am

UK roundabouts are my biggest grouse. The car to my right has ROW, fine, but what about following cars, cars even yards back intent on forcing their ROW.
Often you rely on a single car on the other side to stop them, you then have to zip in PDQ.

In one town a new mini roundabout was put in to facilitate a right hand turn. That was fun. Drivers approaching from the opposite direction did not see traffic approaching from near head on as being on their right. More chaos 😁

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5797 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:25 am

I remember the first time I drove Mrs C16 through Swindon's Magic Roundabout. She was terrified!
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5798 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:29 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:32 am
UK roundabouts are my biggest grouse. The car to my right has ROW, fine, but what about following cars, cars even yards back intent on forcing their ROW.
Often you rely on a single car on the other side to stop them, you then have to zip in PDQ.

In one town a new mini roundabout was put in to facilitate a right hand turn. That was fun. Drivers approaching from the opposite direction did not see traffic approaching from near head on as being on their right. More chaos 😁
Better than the 4 way junctions/stops in South Africa, believe me!

https://www.south-africa-tours-and-trav ... %20proceed.

=))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5799 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:34 am

TGG, in the US they were reputed to have 4 way stops and no roundabouts. Thought the 4 way worked quite well.
Mind you, all you needed was a Brit getting there first to really screw up the system - as I found 😅

However very surprised to when we found a real roundabout.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5800 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:45 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:34 am
TGG, in the US they were reputed to have 4 way stops and no roundabouts. Thought the 4 way worked quite well.
Mind you, all you needed was a Brit getting there first to really screw up the system - as I found 😅

However very surprised to when we found a real roundabout.
PN, roundabouts, or circles (as they are known in SA) only work in civilised countries with people who respect due process, decorum and order. I can think of only think one, or two, circles, perhaps, in Cape Town, where the roundabout system partially works. The one in upper Newlands being a rare exception because it is so small that people drive straight through over the painted island! =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."