Rant of the Day v2.

General Chit Chat
Smeagol
Capt
Capt

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#4881 Post by Smeagol » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:07 pm

Bloody BBC!
Yesterday it was all HRH D of E on all channels, tonight on BBC 1, the bloody BAFTAs! Who the hell wants to see a load of luvvies slap each other on the back and gush with mock surprise?
It gets worse tomorrow with that Swedish child being given air time to lecture us all.

The sooner the BBC tax is scrapped the better.
We hates Bagginses!

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4882 Post by ian16th » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:38 pm

Bl**-dy plastic machines!

In this case an upright vacuum cleaner by Samsung.

The spring latch that holds the handle upright, I needed to access its innards, but couldn't work out how to get to a particular Phillips screw.
One deeds to witness the assembly to do the correct 'un-latching' sequence.

In desperation, I applied an engineering solution and drilled a hole, large enough for a screwdriver, in the pedal. Job done.

There was a delay while cordless drill battery was charged up, as I considered the job a little too delicate for 500w mains drill.
Cynicism improves with age

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4883 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:55 pm

We did a Dyson battery change, the disassemble instructions were perfect including access to your masked Philips screw.

3 new screws were provided and included washers that were not in the original. Only think missing was reassembly instructions that were not exactly the reverse.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4884 Post by OFSO » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:07 pm

The only vacuum to buy is a G Tech. Just amazing. There are now four in our cojoined families.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4885 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:37 pm

OFSO wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:07 pm
The only vacuum to buy is a G Tech. Just amazing. There are now four in our cojoined families.
Which model?

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4886 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:46 pm

Sweeping already cloudy pool, brush came off the pole. ~X(
IMC in the pool and no viz to bottom.
Tried to locate it with other long pole with vacuum attachment. It came off, too! ~X(
Water too cold still to go in, so off to pool store for clarifier and chlorine. Salt system not keeping up. [-X :((

PP

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4887 Post by 4mastacker » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:11 pm

I've previously had a rant about the antics of United Lincolnshire Hospitals Trust and their behaviour toward our local hospital. It appears that a judicial review has found they acted unlawfully when they downgraded the A&E department - they didn't consult with the public before carrying out their plans. Don't suppose for one minute things will change despite the ruling.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4888 Post by tango15 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:24 pm

4mastacker wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:11 pm
I've previously had a rant about the antics of United Lincolnshire Hospitals Trust and their behaviour toward our local hospital. It appears that a judicial review has found they acted unlawfully when they downgraded the A&E department - they didn't consult with the public before carrying out their plans. Don't suppose for one minute things will change despite the ruling.
Sickening 4ma. But never mind, the 'lessons have been learned' statement, pathetic as it is, will no doubt brought out to assuage their criminal shortcomings.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4889 Post by 1DC » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:11 pm

A friend of Oz daughter's Mother has just passed away in the UK, she would like to come home from Oz for the funeral, the cheapest air ticket she can get is $13000 but would have no idea when she would be able to get a flight back home it could be months away. As she has kids she obviously can't go home, bloody disgrace..

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4890 Post by ian16th » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:16 pm

1DC wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:11 pm
A friend of Oz daughter's Mother has just passed away in the UK, she would like to come home from Oz for the funeral, the cheapest air ticket she can get is $13000 but would have no idea when she would be able to get a flight back home it could be months away. As she has kids she obviously can't go home, bloody disgrace..
Or is it a sensible precaution?
Cynicism improves with age

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4891 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:01 pm

4ma, you will have seen from a post elsewhere yesterday that A&E has now gone completely. It is now Urgent Emergencies only.

Who decides?

Having trimmed a finger nail with a circular saw I simply applied pressure for some hours until I saw the consultant. Until I opened my hand there was talk of a transfer to Nottingham. Did I need urgency care? I thought so.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4892 Post by OFSO » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:09 pm

#4884, Vacuum Cleaner - this one. Relative in London who cleans apartments hated her Dyson. Unwieldy and heavy. She's bought one of these so five in our family now. Some of the features appear quirky on first sight. After one use you find out they are brilliant.
IMG_20210418_190603.jpg

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4893 Post by llondel » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:24 pm

How are they with pet hair?

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4894 Post by Alisoncc » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:05 pm

Bought a Hoover Dog and Cat Turbo. Dead cheap but brilliant. Use it every three days, and it fills up. Bagless, but wow the amount of hair it collects, unbelievable.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4895 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:27 pm

We still use our big Dyson in the garage. As you say, heavy but also too powerful on carpets. The handheld is much better and we use the max suck on the tiles down stairs then normal for stairs and bedrooms.
Just over 2 years we noticed we could barely do down stairs. Got a free replacement battery from Dyson and back to doing the whole house. Also it is more powerful as well, something to watch after 2 years.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4896 Post by 4mastacker » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:54 pm

PN, I thought a decision had been made to partially restore the A&E department - more fool me for believing the bureaucrats. What is sickening is the amount of money that is being thrown at the NHS and yet unaccountable bureaucrats, such as those "running" ULHT, are wasting goodness knows how much. It is absolutely scandalous that these people are not held to account and sacked for their incompetence and profligacy.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4897 Post by 1DC » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:37 pm

You can get a G tech designed for pet hairs. Our G Tech isn't the pet version but definitely the best vacuum cleaner we have ever had.
On my rant about getting in and out of Australia. You can leave and you can return, you have to quarantine on return but unless you have the means to spend big money you will find it difficult. If you were prepared to pay the going price for first class tickets each way you wouldn't experience too much delay. The going price to get a ticket one way from Oz to the UK was $13000 sat in the back. Coming back only a few people are allowed into Australia on each aircraft so they fill it up from the front and they charge silly prices for the tickets.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4898 Post by llondel » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:22 am

I use a shop vac at the moment with the almost 2" diameter hose. That just about keeps up with Leonberger fur and has the capacity to reduce the need to empty it, unlike vacuums with smaller collection containers.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4899 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:51 am

4ma, the old A&E entrance, now UTC, is modern :), chairs in waiting room stacked, floor marked, two masked denizens behind the armoured screens, now doubled, microphones and speakers for those daring to enter.
Doorway straufgt ahead all blocked off.
Drive round the back to the Covid test area, beautifully moved green grass, properly stripped, a real picture - that is the sports field backing on to the hospital.
Driving back out, you can see the paint holding the woodwork together. No expense spared on maintenance. None what ever. The incinerator boarded up. Dead shrubs and bushes piled on its access ramp, windows boarded up. Skip protecting access. Rats probably living undisturbed.
An this forgotten corner of Lincolnshire they probably hope we will go to Peterborough.
They need to start again. Find a large piece of cheap land with space for a LARGE car park and then build a hospital.
And here's an idea. Reserved car parking for patients with appointments.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4900 Post by OFSO » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:05 am

That thrice-damned knot of the devil's own cord, Saddiqi Khan, Mayor of London (worse luck) is going to rename, at Londoner's expense, the branches of the London overground, to reflect the ethnic diversity blah blah blah, so can we look forward to Idle Muslim Valley, Living on Welfare Caribbean Shunting Yards, Somali and Like It, Sharia Junction, I've got Five Children by Five Different Bitches Overpass, and Beheading Corner? Diverse enough for you, Mr Mayor?