Chief Pilot

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#6121 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed May 18, 2022 10:09 am

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 6:13 pm
Regular Unleaded Gas (87 Octane) now $4.999/Gal. X(
My car requires 89 octane minimum, so add $.25 or.30 more. :((

PP
Interesting octane ratings. I remember as cars improved in the 50s some needed a higher octane rating of 101 with ordinary petrol at 97/98. Going through Turkey I think the fuel was sub-90 and the only way to stop the engine was selecting fuel choke to stop the airflow and flood the engine with fuel.
Now in UK we have 95, cut with upto 10% alc and 99 with 5%.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#6122 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed May 18, 2022 12:35 pm

Re, Residents permits. We have a little girlie racist and xenophobic head of immigration here in Maun. Many people are going to Gabs instead of through her. We have an application in for permanent residency instead of the five years. That is dealt with in Gabs so we shouldn't be messed about by this girl. Last time we met her she said so where are you going to go if your residency is denied. We have no idea what grounds our residency can be denied under. All we do is bring money into the country and employ people.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6123 Post by OFSO » Wed May 18, 2022 3:02 pm

I am discovering more and more about residency permíts as we Jump thru Hoop after Hoop, all because some (but not all) frontier police don't recognise our lifetime green A4 forms. We are also entitled to Golden Visas (i own property worth more than €500k) and Wealth Visas (income slightly over the pathetically low Spanish average) and five year Residencias, but replacing existing visas/residencies is difficult as the old ones are still valid. Tell that to the fatherless sons of b's at immigration counters.

The lady at our Gestoria has provided submissions, each perhaps 25 pages long, and pointing out my being a member of the Board of Governors of the Pension Association in Paris, where my income is paid (not here) and by whom (mysterious organisation) and just about every other relevant and non-relevant fact*, and sent them off to the Authorities. She said we might be invited to collect a five-year pass, or a ten-year pass, or "some other piece of paper", or in the worst case a downright refusal, but in the meantime I will receive a receipt stating " Residence applied for" or similar, which will validate our existing valid Residencias.

* I've just remembered I have an Indulgence from the Pope from about thirty years ago, bought in the Vatican Shop, and rubber stamped by the Rev Gentleman himself. Should have included that, although some Catalans are Orangemen at heart, so perhaps not.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6124 Post by OFSO » Wed May 18, 2022 3:14 pm

Also all WE do is being money into the country, but the buggers are experts at biting the hand that feeds them. British driving licence not valid in Spain, Residency problems. You'd think they don't want us, but who is left? Russians cannot get access to their funds, French cheat on every tax, Germans staying away fearful of civil war, Dutch bringing caravans to avoid paying for hotels..

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#6125 Post by k3k3 » Wed May 18, 2022 3:46 pm

The Americas use a different octane rating system to the rest of the world RON, MON and AKI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#6126 Post by k3k3 » Wed May 18, 2022 3:48 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 10:09 am
PHXPhlyer wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 6:13 pm
Regular Unleaded Gas (87 Octane) now $4.999/Gal. X(
My car requires 89 octane minimum, so add $.25 or.30 more. :((

PP
Interesting octane ratings. I remember as cars improved in the 50s some needed a higher octane rating of 101 with ordinary petrol at 97/98. Going through Turkey I think the fuel was sub-90 and the only way to stop the engine was selecting fuel choke to stop the airflow and flood the engine with fuel.
Now in UK we have 95, cut with upto 10% alc and 99 with 5%.
The Americas use a different octane rating system to the rest of the world RON, MON and AKI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6127 Post by OFSO » Thu May 19, 2022 12:52 pm

Just woken from my post-prandial nap by a ghastly ATR72 droning over us carrying a load of Danes? (must check) to the Balaeric Islands. Disgraceful.

Yes, Danes. At 19,000 feet so noisy.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6128 Post by Woody » Thu May 19, 2022 1:33 pm

OFSO wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 12:52 pm
Just woken from my post-prandial nap by a ghastly ATR72 droning over us carrying a load of Danes? (must check) to the Balaeric Islands. Disgraceful.

Yes, Danes. At 19,000 feet so noisy.
How long did that take :-o
When all else fails, read the instructions.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6129 Post by OFSO » Thu May 19, 2022 2:55 pm

It was a damned thunderous roar of an unpleasant nature, like but not counter-rotating turboprops, unlike the Antonov 12s and 22s at midnight on their way to Zaragoza, which are comforting, somehow.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6130 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri May 20, 2022 2:43 am

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:34 pm
Fruit Fly Infestation
A piece of over-ripe fruit led to a flock (horde, host, flight :-?? ) of fruit flies.
I have made traps with apple cider vinegar and dish soap. They are working but cannot keep up with their reproductive capabilities. ~X(
Because they are infesting the kitchen I am reluctant to resort to pesticides. [-X

PP
The above (which are still in residence) don't seem to be real fruit flies, as they tend to hop/jump rather than fly. have been joined by an army of small black ants. ~X(
They are coming over the kitchen window sill, through the sink, and onto the counter. Windows installed two years ago; will have to look for cracks in sealant.
Ant bait deployed and numerous of the little sent down the drain with the sprayer.
What pestilence comes next? :-??

PP

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6131 Post by OFSO » Fri May 20, 2022 4:48 am

I've put small plastic tubes from outside into the cavity wall, through which I can spray ant-killer gas. However the ants spend all winter filling the inner end of the tubes with their form of cement.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6132 Post by OFSO » Wed May 25, 2022 1:16 pm

As my BP is occasionally borderline I take the lowest dose of beta blockers each day, 5mg. Collected a prescription yesterday, only noticed when I collected them Helga had prescribed 10mg. No problem, I break them in half, packet lasts twice as long, but good job I noticed. Also today picked up prescription for Mrs OFSO, only noticed when I got home prescription said two of something, pharmacist had given me one.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6133 Post by OFSO » Fri May 27, 2022 5:35 pm

I never learn. We both visited a villa for sale today. Owned by a German who runs a car bodywork shop, despite being spic and span and solid the interior had bizarre decor and layout. However, nothing that €50k would not fix and the price was right.

Coming out I asked Mrs OFSO what she thought, no you first she said. I made the mistake of saying that other than the same changes as listed above, it wasn't bad. That was it. What I should have said was that I wouldn't have it as a gift. Then I'd have been 'persuaded' and we'd have been round with our builders the next day, to get an estimate. As it is, not suitable, project shelved.

I never learn.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6134 Post by G-CPTN » Fri May 27, 2022 6:22 pm

You should insist on an undiscussed written submission.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6135 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat May 28, 2022 7:30 pm

Seems trivial in view of World events, but why can't I now buy a pair of "cargo pants" with belt loops ? I have long worn these trousers to take advantage of the extra pockets on the legs, and need a new pair, but .... all stores I have access to in NZ, and currently visiting the USA, now only stock such trousers with elastic waists secured by a sort of pyjama cord ! If it is now fashionable to not have belt loops, necessary to use a belt, on which I hang my keys and a phone holder, then I HATE fashion, and have never been a slave to it.

Guess I'll have to buy a sewing machine and make my own ! Dammit.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6136 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat May 28, 2022 7:40 pm

Go to a thrift store.
That's where all of mine come from.
I only by one brand (Savane) as they have a slot pocket on the outside of the right cargo pocket which is perfect for a smartphone.

PP

Edited to add that there is a little elastic in the waist but nice wide beltloops.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6137 Post by OFSO » Sat May 28, 2022 8:05 pm

Residence permits - our cleaner looks after a number of old ladies. One recently flew back to UK (I hasten to add, in an aircraft). On her return to Spain she hobbles up to immigration, middle-aged frontier police lady on duty looks at her, old lady says "yes I'm English and I live here" to which police lady said "that's all right dear, you go through there, easy now.. "

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6138 Post by OFSO » Sat May 28, 2022 8:06 pm

ExSp, do you have the Decathalon sports chain there? That's where I get mine.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6139 Post by G-CPTN » Sat May 28, 2022 8:07 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 7:40 pm
Go to a thrift store.
My interpretation of a 'thrift store' equates to our 'charity shops' - which don't usually have repeat items.

I shop regularly at charity shops (and there are some worthwhile bargains in good condition) though I am currently struggling to satisfy my needs - no identifiable reason so far - but ExSp33db1rd 's requirements are quite specific and I don't think I could satisfy them from my sources.

We do, however have 'Army Surplus' stores which could conceivably have repeat items (including civilian or near-civilian items). I don't usually shop there, but I could (involves travelling 20 miles each way to a nearby town).

Having checked, they do have stock of all three 'Services brands'.
Not cheap - certainly not charity-shop prices, but new and unissued.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6140 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat May 28, 2022 8:16 pm

G-CPTN:
Your interpretation is correct.
All of my Savanes, in many colors and shades of tan and even denim, have all come rom thrift stores (mostly Goodwill stores).
I buy them whenever I find them as I practically live in them and wear the hell out of them.

PP