Rant of the Day v2.

General Chit Chat
emjay
Snr FO
Snr FO
Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#5281 Post by emjay » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:07 pm

It's just a software issue - there are limited options on the driver's "explain what happened" menu.
Suggest you get a driver to file a bug report and request adding a tick box for "Couldn't be arsed".

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5282 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:37 am

Charlie, ever been to a depot? Been two different ones on in town, one in sticks, both big drafty sheds, largely empty, except for your parcel, and probably one or two people. The rest are out.
Now try getting someone to even see you, and reading an email is probably the same.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5283 Post by ian16th » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:32 am

emjay wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:07 pm
It's just a software issue - there are limited options on the driver's "explain what happened" menu.
Suggest you get a driver to file a bug report and request adding a tick box for "Couldn't be arsed".
Like getting a navigator to fill out a snag chit in a meaningful manner!
Cynicism improves with age

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5284 Post by CharlieOneSix » Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:30 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:37 am
.....Now try getting someone to even see you, and reading an email is probably the same.
Received an email at 0816 from an Operations Administrator at Menzies Distribution asking for my full postal address and they will investigate....... :YMPRAY:
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5285 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:02 am

On the Monday morning, the gas man came to call (1st July) and changed over gas and electric meters.
They didn't work.
On the Tuesday morning, the gas man came to call 14th July).
Can't change the meter, you didn't say it was in the ground. "you didn't ask"
On the Wednesday morning he brought the display unit as we hadn't said we wanted it.
"you didn't ask".
On the Thursday morning (22nd July) I hope they get their act together.

As least this man found the house without having to be talked in.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5286 Post by 4mastacker » Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:25 am

I think I've mentioned it before, the Blitish Gas Man who comes to service your boiler doesn't do repairs. That has to be be another Blitish Gas man and a separate call-out. I found that out when Blitish Gas man #1 called to service the boiler, me having already informed BG that the condensate pump needed attention as part of the service. BG man # 1 didn't mention the condensate pump until he was leaving the house when told me he wasn't qualified to work on condensate pumps. According the BG man #2 who sorted out the pump three weeks later, annual services are contracted out but repairs are done by BG's own staff. The contractors use the same style paperwork as BG, the difference being a very small logo hidden away amongst the clutter on the form.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5287 Post by CharlieOneSix » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:01 pm

DirectLine Home Insurance Plus renewal documents arrived today - a 32.92% increase on last year's premium! Been with them 5 years and they have been competitive on each renewal, no claims for 15+ years. Tried to get an online quote with them as they were offering new customers 35% off....but the system recognised I wasn't a new customer and said it couldn't quote. One weapon misfired. Got an identical cover quote with AXA which was £43 cheaper, just above last year's price with DirectLine. Now to do battle.........
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#5288 Post by k3k3 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:10 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:01 pm
DirectLine Home Insurance Plus renewal documents arrived today - a 32.92% increase on last year's premium! Been with them 5 years and they have been competitive on each renewal, no claims for 15+ years. Tried to get an online quote with them as they were offering new customers 35% off....but the system recognised I wasn't a new customer and said it couldn't quote. One weapon misfired. Got an identical cover quote with AXA which was £43 cheaper, just above last year's price with DirectLine. Now to do battle.........
Try clearing your cookies, using a VPN, and changing the last letter of your post code.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5289 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:14 pm

I had a good deal with Corgi and last year got them to solve an electrical fault, do the included boiler service, and then fix a hot water problem. They increased the premium, less than yours, but at £360 a year I reckon self insure. Home serve then gave me a deal, 50p/m, for drains and leaks. Churlish to refuse. Jumps to £150/yr next year. Will cancel then.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5290 Post by CharlieOneSix » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:11 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
........Now to do battle.........
Did my research, got other quotes and then rang Direct Line. Complained about the 32.92% premium rise. I thought it might be because I used their Home Emergency Cover a few months back when a main door locking mechanism failed in the open position but no, apparently you can claim as many times as you want on the Emergency Cover and it doesn't count as a claim on the main policy.

So without trying very hard at all - never told them what quotes I had found online - I was offered a new premium for the coming year and instead of a 32.92% increase it cames in at 7.25% more than last year, just an acceptable £16.80 increase. Haggle, people, always haggle. :-bd

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5291 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:30 pm

Indeed, got a £30 voucher from AP for a microwave 18 months old that went rusty. Then, emboldened by that, blagged a £20 discount on a washing machine.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5292 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:36 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:11 pm
CharlieOneSix wrote:
Did my research, got other quotes and then rang Direct Line. Complained about the 32.92% premium rise. I thought it might be because I used their Home Emergency Cover a few months back when a main door locking mechanism failed in the open position but no, apparently you can claim as many times as you want on the Emergency Cover and it doesn't count as a claim on the main policy.

So without trying very hard at all - never told them what quotes I had found online - I was offered a new premium for the coming year and instead of a 32.92% increase it cames in at 7.25% more than last year, just an acceptable £16.80 increase. Haggle, people, always haggle. :-bd
I had this discussion with a fellow member and we seemed to agree it was an efficient way to impose an increase nevertheless rather than offer a reduced one for renewing customers

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5293 Post by llondel » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:02 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:11 pm
CharlieOneSix wrote:

I used to argue with them every year about why the quoted car insurance price increase was excessive and why could I get a quote from the website for something way more reasonable for the same car. Mostly they gave in and matched the web price, but one time the chap said that because I did that last year, the system wouldn't let him repeat it this year and suggested I just go apply via the website and let the existing policy expire.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5294 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:54 am

It works well in a "win back" situation but it requires some work.

My cell contract was and still is a with a big red international company based, I think, in in London. In March I got an offer for the same company provided the number was brought in from another operator. I rang them if I could avoid the hassle of going to another operator and back and just pay the penalty for breaking the previous contract early. The answer was practically "f*c* off follow the procedure". So I applied to another company and couple of days later I was called by a different department and asked why I wanted to leave. I told them a dealer of theirs was offering me an excellent package but I was open to any offers. Having in front of them my application they become suddenly very generous, offering a contract with more data, an obscene amount of SMS and data I couldn't hope for not only cheaper from my then contract, but also from the contract I wanted to get and they waved the penalty for renewing and or modifying the contract early. All that just by spending a few minutes applying to another operator.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5295 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:14 am

Ilondel, I had this with GreenFlag. Renewal quote was double. I would get an online quote, ring them up and get the renewal at the online price.

Made a mistake this year with my car insurance. Good company and I got a big cash back when I joined last year. 'Only for new customers'. Lesson learnt.

Next year, if their quote exceeds another company quote then I am off and will rejoin the following year for more cash back.

My SiL is a cash back tart with no brand loyalty whatsoever. Telecoms, utilities, insurers, credit cards, banks, you name it he will switch.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5296 Post by Boac » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:18 am

I had this with GreenFlag. Renewal quote was double.
Similar here, but a 37% increase. Agent 'offered' his max discount but was unable to match the online price for the same policy.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5297 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:53 am

The lower prices for new customers compared with loyal customers for house and car insurance ends in January 2022 in the UK.

FCA to ban "price walking" 1 January 2022

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5298 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:53 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:53 am
The lower prices for new customers compared with loyal customers for house and car insurance ends in January 2022 in the UK.

FCA to ban "price walking" 1 January 2022
"Have you been resold **** insurance renewal between 2020 and 2021 you may be entitled to a refund of thousands of pounds. Contact Chetham and Chetham on..........."

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5299 Post by ricardian » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:03 pm

I've been with Santander Bank (previously Alliance & Leicester) since 1987. Recently they began sending OTPs (One Time Passwords) to my mobile phone. Mobile phone reception up here is very poor and to get a signal I have to go across the road or down to the bottom of the garden. PayPal uses OTPs but has a system whereby my landline phone is used. Santander said they could not use my landline for OTPs. I discovered that TSB will use my landline for OTPs so I began the switch from Santander to TSB. The TSB online switch form proved to be unusable so I posted a negative review on TrustPilot. Very soon TSB replied to the negative review and gave the phone number for the TSB "Switchers team". Using this number was so easy and the switch is now running with a completion date of Mon 26 July. Santander seemed quite unperturbed when I told them that I was switching and gave the reason why.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5300 Post by Boac » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:12 pm

Santander is under-going some sort of 'cost-saving' programme, I think. A recent complaint (to the CEO, who else?) about blocking of payments ('just because') was sorted out, but highlighted some 'shortcuts' being made. They are rapidly losing their 'glitter'. They have also scrapped 'Secure messaging' in favour of 'Chat' which takes place with an Android 'Sandi' who is far thicker than the proverbial.