Rant of the Day v2.

General Chit Chat
jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#6041 Post by jimtherev » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:37 pm

Jim is issuing words of Anglo-Saxon origin.
Some mindless scrote has found his way into the outdoor cabinet (locked) and nicked the only defibrillator in Derby City Centre. (Mine / ours.)

Previous one vanished about five years ago, and cost approaching £1k to replace. Why do people do these things? It's probably got only a few tenners-worth of components in it, even if the thief knows where to sell it.

Suppose it's *just* possible that it has been dumped and will find its way back to us... but I'm not holding me breff.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6042 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:54 pm

Rev, we are surrounded by the ignorant, the selfish and avaricious, and I am not even talking about the scrotes that you refer to above...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6043 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:03 pm

jimtherev wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:37 pm
Some mindless scrote has found his way into the outdoor cabinet (locked) and nicked the only defibrillator in Derby City Centre. (Mine / ours.)

Previous one vanished about five years ago, and cost approaching £1k to replace. Why do people do these things? It's probably got only a few tenners-worth of components in it, even if the thief knows where to sell it.
Unbelievable!

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6044 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:04 pm

The neighborhood site that I am on is full of reports of stolen catalytic converters, stolen property, cars broken into, burglaries, and attempted break-ins. ~X(
People seem to be willing to take anything from anywhere. [-X
Cops are overwhelmed and there is little evidence of even traffic law enforcement, unless there is a wreck. Aggressive driving, red light running, hit and run accidents are all on the rise. :-o :((
Enough to make one go into vigilante mode. X(

PP

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6045 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:12 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:04 pm
The neighborhood site that I am on is full of reports of stolen catalytic converters, stolen property, cars broken into, burglaries, and attempted break-ins. ~X(
People seem to be willing to take anything from anywhere.
Cops are overwhelmed and there is little evidence of even traffic law enforcement, unless there is a wreck. Aggressive driving, red light running, hit and run accidents are all on the rise. :-o :((
Enough to make one go into vigilante mode.

PP
If you insist on living in border country, what do you expect? @-)

Arizona is no country for old men, like me, just like Texas...;)))

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6046 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:20 pm

Proximity to the border doesn't have anything to do with it.
Crime of all types is up all over the country.
With gas prices so high, the new crime of note is from gas thefts, both from vehicles and gas stations.
The most increases in crime here seem to relate to shootings, many officer involved, drug transportation, not just cross border, and brazen shoplifting.

PP

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6047 Post by llondel » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:02 pm

jimtherev wrote:

Suppose it's *just* possible that it has been dumped and will find its way back to us... but I'm not holding me breff.
I assume you'd know in some way if it got used for real.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6048 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:09 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:20 pm
Proximity to the border doesn't have anything to do with it.
Crime of all types is up all over the country.
With gas prices so high, the new crime of note is from gas thefts, both from vehicles and gas stations.
The most increases in crime here seem to relate to shootings, many officer involved, drug transportation, not just cross border, and brazen shoplifting.

PP
You make a good point. I predict major civil disturbance here in the UK within a year. Crime rides on the back of reasonable grievance!

Evil rides high, and I am not even religious...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6049 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:18 pm

I am seriously starting to think like a survivalist (again)... hoarding Aeschylus, grabbing Catullus, seeking Homer, and expecting blank television, as we have to kill the savages, again...

And buying baked beans...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6050 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:25 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:20 pm

PP
Navy chiefs are said to be "furious" after allegations that £250,000 of fuel had been stolen from a warship, say reports.

The diesel was meant for HMS Bulwark, but it is now feared the thefts were going on for weeks.

An investigation is under way after a tanker was reportedly stopped trying to leave HMNB Devonport in Plymouth,
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/n ... 2b0b469fe1
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6051 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:26 pm

We are going back to the reality of Mad Max...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6052 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:24 am

I am getting annoyed about the fact that packets of things such as flour and sugar don't contain the amount advertised. Also 99% of the time it is less not more. Today I had a 1kg bag of flour that was 75g short. X(

I wouldn't mind a couple of grams, but 75g is 7.5 % less than I paid for. :-q X(
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

fin
Capt
Capt

#6053 Post by fin » Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:28 pm

In the old days (middle of last century) the US gummint had a serious dept of weights & measures.

Now days, nobody would care or know what to do.

Or how to do it.
:ymsigh:
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#6054 Post by jimtherev » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:16 pm

llondel wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:02 pm
jimtherev wrote:

I assume you'd know in some way if it got used for real.
Nope. It's battery powered and autonomous, and will last for about 10 deployments before the battery needs replacing. The machine itself cannot 'phone home'; it is expected that a user either returns it to the cabinet after use or keeps it on the ambulance for later collection. Ambulance service don't know about it.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6055 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:23 am

Telephone Directories.

Gone are the days when one could look up a number in the Telephone Directory - white pages.

Assuming that "everyone'" had a landline, and most did, their number was published for all to see, including their address, there was no secrecy or so called "privacy" which seems to control our lives today.

Privacy ? Don't make me laugh, Big Brother is watching me every minute of the day, my Smartfone - and yes I've had to give in and now own one - knows precisely where I am at all times, and who I've been speaking to, and approved "authorities" can access my every movement over a few days, so why can't I look up the number of a person of who lives in the same town and has been mentioned to me as being of interest ?

I accept that in The Old Days most telephones were contracted from a single, national, entity, e.g. British Telecom and the like, so only one mob had to produce a telephone directory, which they did town by town, or The Operator would connect me if I knew the name, ( and maybe at least a partial address ? ) whereas now, here in New Zealand I can immediately name at least 4 organisations who sell phones and issue their own numbers and of course have no knowledge of rival customers and telephone number lists, but ..... they could at least publish their own list of names and numbers so that I could go on to Google and access their company directory, it would take longer to go through four company directories than just picking up the Telephone Directory of course, but at least would be possible. Why not ? Yes, we could be pestered by Phishing calls, but we are anyway, so what's the difference, it would just mean that they might address us by name instead of being a "cold call" haphazardly selected by a computer programme ?

Personal Privacy excuse is a joke, it's like the difficulty of moving money around, the Money Launderers laugh all the way to their bank, only the law abiding are inconvenienced. The number of scam e-mails I get that know my e-mail and mobile number prove that getting a mobile phone number is possible, but why can't I have the same facility ? Grrrrr !

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6056 Post by OFSO » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:23 am

You can turn your phone's location off and you can set the history files to delete at regular intervals. You can use a browser that doesn't keep records or sell your browsing history. Yes, I use Tor. I always use incognito on YouTube. As much as I'd like to I never make charity donations that require me to give my phone number, I use Guerilla Mail when necessary. As for phone numbers I never answer one that's unknown to me.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6057 Post by OFSO » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:34 am

Discussing the ludicrous price of Easter Eggs with my cleaner, the lovely and frugal Rachael: "I just chuck the kids a bar of Cadbury's at Easter. Same amount of chocolate at half the price."

ribrash

#6058 Post by ribrash » Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:16 am

OFSO wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:34 am
Discussing the ludicrous price of Easter Eggs with my cleaner, the lovely and frugal Rachael: "I just chuck the kids a bar of Cadbury's at Easter. Same amount of chocolate at half the price."
Lidl and Aldi selling branded eggs for 99p.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6059 Post by OFSO » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:33 am

I forgot to get this gorgeous teenager an Easter Egg. She forgot to send me the brownies she'd baked. Fair do's.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6060 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:39 am

For some years now I have given my grandchildren cash and told them that they are free to spend it on whatever they choose (even chocolate eggs if they so wish).

One grandson told me yesterday that he is spending it on software for his music composing project (he acquired the computer for Christmas).

This year I gave each of the usual recipients a chocolate orange (99p from ALDI) as a token chocolate egg in addition to the cash.