Rant of the Day v2.

General Chit Chat
G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#6101 Post by G-CPTN » Tue May 03, 2022 4:29 pm

Whilst resident in Denmark, I exceeded the 80km/h national limit in a UK-registered car and had a police motorcycle latch onto my tail.
I decided to outrun him and drove several miles @ 120mph before turning off and 'hiding' - only to be spotted and followed and stopped.
The policeman questioned me - I had retained my UK licence as I regularly drove UK-registered 'test' vehicles.
He asked whether we should speak English (hi English was faultless) and asked when I was due to return 'home' and I answered truthfully that we were due to travel to the UK within a couple of weeks (for our annual summer holiday) so I got a severe ticking off and a lecture about the difference between UK and Denmark limits.
There was only one traffic-cop in that region (Funen), so I had to drive legally for the remainder of the time I lived in Denmark.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6102 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue May 03, 2022 5:35 pm

Paid extra for all those apostrophe's too

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#6103 Post by jimtherev » Tue May 03, 2022 10:01 pm

Disgraceful! Missed out the 's in Welding.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6104 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Tue May 03, 2022 10:58 pm

Honolulu again, many years after my previous tale, and not then living there. Rented a motor bike and drove into Waikiki for dinner one night. Almost immediately stopped by a motor bike cop. I was slightly peeved, and said so, e.g. Why have you stopped me, I wasn't speeding, I haven't run a red light, I have my lights on ( remembering the previous event ! ). No, he said, but you're not wearing eye protectors. Eye protectors ? Oh ! you mean goggles. Well, I've been driving with sunglasses on all day, but I don't wear them at night, ''cos I wouldn't be able to see where I was going ! Yes,he said, we lost the helmet law ( not required in Hawaii at that time ) but insisted on eye protectors, see your licence. Oh ! a Limey licence, where're you staying ? In that hotel just back there. OK, take that little alley over there to keep away from any of my colleagues and go back to the hotel. Enjoy your evening. I then walked into Waikiki !

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6105 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue May 03, 2022 11:31 pm

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 10:58 pm
Honolulu again, many years after my previous tale, and not then living there. Rented a motor bike and drove into Waikiki for dinner one night. Almost immediately stopped by a motor bike cop. I was slightly peeved, and said so, e.g. Why have you stopped me, I wasn't speeding, I haven't run a red light, I have my lights on ( remembering the previous event ! ). No, he said, but you're not wearing eye protectors. Eye protectors ? Oh ! you mean goggles. Well, I've been driving with sunglasses on all day, but I don't wear them at night, ''cos I wouldn't be able to see where I was going ! Yes,he said, we lost the helmet law ( not required in Hawaii at that time ) but insisted on eye protectors, see your licence. Oh ! a Limey licence, where're you staying ? In that hotel just back there. OK, take that little alley over there to keep away from any of my colleagues and go back to the hotel. Enjoy your evening. I then walked into Waikiki !
Whenever you are ranting you are doing something interesting, or making a civilised protest or comment. If you carry on this way... ;))) :-bd
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6106 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue May 03, 2022 11:37 pm

I also got caught for not having eye protection.
I had finally got my ancient Yamaha 250 running again and took it on a test ride ( up the hill on the highway so I could coast back to my hovel in case it died).
Highway Patrolman going the opposite direction lit me up . Asked if I knew why he stopped me. No idea, I sez.
No eye protection..
I was new to the state and didn't know the law. Also didn't know that new state required MC endorsement on driver's license either.
Got written up for that as well; also no current registration and no insurance.
I explained that I had just moved into the state and pleaded ignorance to the eye protection and MC endorsement.
He only wrote me up for one offence (don't even remember which).
Next... Catch 22. You have to take a riding test to get the endorsement. Only place to take the test was 30 miles away,
Can't legally get the bike there without riding it without endorsement.

PP

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6107 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed May 04, 2022 4:43 am

Motor bikes "tested" for roadworthiness every 6 months in NZ, but you can ride to the testing centre when out of date providing one can prove one has made a prior appt. if challenged, i.e. follow me to the centre, they should have a record of my request.

Was stopped in California because the car annual rego. was expired. I was able to satisfy the Hofficer that we had only returned to the USA the day before, that the rego. had expired whilst we were absent and I was on the shortest route to the DMV to renew it. He believed me and wished me luck at the DMV, where the waiting time to complete a 5 minute transaction took all morning.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6108 Post by Boac » Wed May 04, 2022 7:04 am

PN wrote:Paid extra for all those apostrophe's too
I trust you realise the apostrophe should come after the 's'?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6109 Post by OFSO » Wed May 04, 2022 12:15 pm

What a messed up country this is. Had confirmation this morning that our residence certificates are valid and not cancellable, it's the frontier police who don't understand this. On TV news just now, demonstration of wheelchair users, it's taking 18 months to process requests for handicapped allowances. Courts are taking five years to hear cases brought by police. So little thieving Johnny (dare one say Johnny NR? Probably not any more ) Is allowed out on bail pending his hearing, and cannot be found - five years later. Grrr.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6110 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun May 08, 2022 3:37 pm

Modern (?) stock management. I need a replacement swimsuit. I saw one on the site at a reasonable price but decided to order from a physical store. It is/was available in two stores a fair distance away. So far rather nothing to report. My rant: the staff at the store I ordered it can't bother to give me a firm answer if the stock is accurate and confirm one unit is taken off the self at one of the stores and shipped to the store I can collect it. They just report since noon - waiting for confirmation.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6111 Post by 1DC » Sun May 08, 2022 8:51 pm

Just been away for the weekend and returning home from the UK Peak District this morning the traffic speed was dictated by the speed of the tossers on bicycles. It was a nice day and load of people decided to go for a bike ride, they don't ride up hills very fast and with these new cycle laws on busy roads many folk are scared to overtake them ( or can't). Spent about thirty minutes longer than usual travelling from Buxton to Sheffield because we all had to travel at the same speed as the bikes who didn't give any consideration to the cars.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6112 Post by Boac » Wed May 11, 2022 8:46 am

2 weeks ago I ordered (on-line) several lengths of Tongue&Groove cladding for a garage repair from 'B&Q'. 'In stock', money taken, delivery 'next Tuesday'. Next Tuesday came and several lengths of Shiplap cladding arrived. Wrong bar-code. I called 'Customer Service' and rejected the delivery. "Sorry. Will pick it up next Tuesday and deliver the T&G".

Next Tuesday came and several lengths of Shiplap cladding arrived. Wrong bar-code. I called 'Customer Service' and rejected the delivery.

It is very difficult to get anyone 'important' to answer a complaint. Eventually spoke to the delivery centre senior manager who (under pressure) did admit it was 'his responsibility' that his depot functioned correctly. It transpires said item was actually 'out of stock', but no-one thought to let me know. Apparently the delivery manager thought it would be a 'help' to send me something similar (twice?)

Oh dear!

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6113 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed May 11, 2022 5:19 pm

As a result of the swimsuit rant I noticed something: you can get to talk to a manager provided you handle the fist level staff correctly. And always ask "what can you do to make up things for me..."

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6114 Post by OFSO » Mon May 16, 2022 1:26 pm

I have just spent an hour discussing Residence Permits.

Police: "You do not need the new (small credit-card sized) permit because the old A4 size one is perfectly valid."

Me: "But the frontier police don't know that and don't accept the old one.... "

Police: "That is not our problem."

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6115 Post by Wodrick » Mon May 16, 2022 1:36 pm

Changing from the A4 document to the credit card document is causing us some difficulty which I will resolve manana.
In addition to the required documents our Lawmaker wanted the following documents which are not required.
Evidence of payment of Income Tax, the deeds, Empadronamiento, all because the address on the A4 document does not match the address on the application. My fault I know.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6116 Post by OFSO » Mon May 16, 2022 2:01 pm

Several years ago I filed a form (forget the number) changing applicability for payment of IT from Spain to UK. Came back stamped and approved. My Gestoria told me today this has nothing to do with residency. What one must NOT do is stop paying tax without filing this form.

I suggested today that I apply for short term five-year-only residency cards which the EU (!) insists every Member State make available. Gestoria says no point, she'll do the paperwork and the Authorities will decide if I get five year or unlimited Residency "extension". But I can't ask for a completely new Residency as my old one is valid, even though the Frontier Police say it isn't.

What an utterly bull* country this is. Every official has a different interpretation of Rules and Regs.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6117 Post by Rwy in Sight » Mon May 16, 2022 2:14 pm

Since credit card sized documents were mentioned: the usual ineffective police are completely unable to organize the switch of large inconvenient sized documents to credit card. Over paid and underworked police officers can't put up a coherent set of specifications for a contract to be up for bidding.

And they promised to add the id details on the government app for March and they failed to do so (the government app is usually very well thought).

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6118 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue May 17, 2022 6:13 pm

Regular Unleaded Gas (87 Octane) now $4.999/Gal. X(
My car requires 89 octane minimum, so add $.25 or.30 more. :((

PP

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#6119 Post by Smeagol » Tue May 17, 2022 7:58 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 6:13 pm
Regular Unleaded Gas (87 Octane) now $4.999/Gal. X(
My car requires 89 octane minimum, so add $.25 or.30 more. :((

PP
I think you will get little sympathy from those of us on the other side of the pond. UK prices are the equivalent of +/- $8 per US gallon.
We hates Bagginses!

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6120 Post by OFSO » Wed May 18, 2022 6:35 am

Wife woke me at 06:30 to put black wash in, on cheap tarif. As I'd done it at 03:00 when I got up for a P, I was unpleased.

Diesel fuel here €1.90 a litre ($9 an imperial gallon), 20 cents come off this price by Government Order, paid by filling station and reclaimed from the Government. So let's say I pay $8 an imperial gallon.

Two problems with this.
Firstly, nobody told the Agencia Tributaria so the filling stations aren't getting the 20 cents reimbursed.
Secondly, this was meant to help Spanish. To the government's amazement, French are coming across the borders in their tens of thousands to fill up in Spain. A new Scheme is coming. 20 cents off only for Spanish plated cars. Where I live, there are as many French cars as Spanish, so I expect trouble.