Rant of the Day v2.

General Chit Chat
ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#6321 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:31 am

Very cheap immobiliser and not at all obvious unless you knew exactly where to look.
Make and mode - or is it advertising against the rules of the site ?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6322 Post by OFSO » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:54 am

Don't all automobiles read the chip in the key these days? It's not enough to have the key in the slot, undoing the steering wheel lock, but it has to be the key paired with the car. Twisting wires together to steal a car hasn't worked for years.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6323 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:02 am

OFSO very true except those keys can be cloned even when locked on your drive, hence talk of Faraday cages and putting your keys in a box.

The other T leaf method of adding joy to your day is stealing the catholitic convert. Manufacturers and others now provide CAT locks. Problem is it is easy to cut a CAT off but the whole exhaust has to be replaced.

I did read of a case in the States of an EV battery being stolen. The car was gutted just to get at the battery.

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#6324 Post by k3k3 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:38 am

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:31 am
Very cheap immobiliser and not at all obvious unless you knew exactly where to look.
Make and mode - or is it advertising against the rules of the site ?
Ford Fiesta XR2i, elementary my dear Watson.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6325 Post by OFSO » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:47 am

Heard a disgraceful story this morning. Old English lady, late eighties, living alone on mountaintop, can't speak local language, can't drive, fell and broke femur and prosthetic hip. She relies on a friend of ours visiting her daily (although old lady is currently in hospital). Old lady has family in England who contribute nothing to our friend's costs and won't consider the sensible thing which is for the old lady to sell hill top villa and move into town "as the villa is our inheritance".

Not an uncommon situation. Family in England abandon relatives in Spain but come swarming like flies round a cowpat when the old person pops off and their property becomes vacant.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6326 Post by OFSO » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:59 am

My wife has a 2003 (!) Fiesta. As it gets left in underground car parks for months on end and the battery can discharge,, I fitted a battery disconnect which uses a "key" that one can remove. The "instant springing into life again" record was after being parked for five months. Tires weren't flat-spotted, either.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6327 Post by OFSO » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:49 am

The pyromaniac who set three forest fires in Catalunia a fortnight ago has been caught. Judge sent him straight to prison, bail refused as he's considered a constant danger and committed the same offences in 2021.

Prison is not the answer.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6328 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:58 am

Confiscate his matches - that'll larn him!

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6329 Post by Boac » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:05 am

Surely death at the stake beckons? He'd enjoy that. He could be allowed to light his own bonfire in the interests of the UNHCR.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6330 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:42 am

OFSO wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:47 am
Family in England abandon relatives in Spain but come swarming like flies round a cowpat when the old person pops off and their property becomes vacant.
Good name for UK based family of expat 😊

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6331 Post by OFSO » Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:26 pm

My UK Town Council sent me a survey to complete. I don't even understand what the following means:

"If you are non-binary, transgender or have variations of sex characteristics, also known as intersex, the answer you give can be different from what is on your birth certificate. If you’re not sure how to answer, use the sex registered on your official documents, such as passport or driving licence, or whichever sex you consider yourself to be."

My initial answer would be along the lines of "what a bunch of stupid, confused, politically-correct w*nkers you are" but there was no box to tick with that option. I wonder why....

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6332 Post by 4mastacker » Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:03 pm

We had one of those - the council was asking what we thought of the roads. Mrs 4ma wasn't quick enough to intercept my response of "crap".

Seems our council have seen sense to kick some woke suggestion into touch when an elected councillor wanted to change the title of "Chairman" to "Presiding Person" - there may be hope after all. If only they could kick our utterly useless MP into touch -2024 is too far in the future.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6333 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:36 pm

Is that Gareth or are you further north?

VP959
Snr FO
Snr FO

#6334 Post by VP959 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:47 pm

OFSO wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:26 pm
My UK Town Council sent me a survey to complete. I don't even understand what the following means:

"If you are non-binary, transgender or have variations of sex characteristics, also known as intersex, the answer you give can be different from what is on your birth certificate. If you’re not sure how to answer, use the sex registered on your official documents, such as passport or driving licence, or whichever sex you consider yourself to be."

My initial answer would be along the lines of "what a bunch of stupid, confused, politically-correct w*nkers you are" but there was no box to tick with that option. I wonder why....
Idiots don't even understand what they are writing. Human beings cannot ever change their sex, it's a physical impossibility as it's baked-in to your genetic make up. If they were talking about gender then that's a different thing altogether and some people do consider themselves to be a gender other than that they were assigned at birth.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6335 Post by 4mastacker » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:09 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:36 pm
It is indeed him.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6336 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:30 pm

4mastacker wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:09 pm
Pontius Navigator wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:36 pm
It is indeed him.
I have nothing against him. At least I get a regular email from him; from Nick, nowt.

Before we came here we had Victoria Atkin. A plus, she visited out polling station. Against that she has been sailing happily below the surface for several years as a junior minister in any number of minor ministries. Very much 50 shades of grey keeping her head down. She finally jumped Boris's Government at #50.

After Brutus stuck the knife in the rest waited to see if the ship of state would sink.

Have you spotted the invisible minister?

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6337 Post by 4mastacker » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:53 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:30 pm

I have nothing against him. At least I get a regular email from him; from Nick, nowt.

Have you spotted the invisible minister?
I've written to him a couple of times and he's missed the point of my letter on each occasion, spouting a load of Party sphericals in his replies. I never got replies from Mincing Flouncing Nick either.

Which minister is that? They're all invisible except when they're after folk's votes.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6338 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:03 am

GOVE. To my mind he is AWOL. Not seen hide nor hair of him. As our member on the members' panel said 'keeping his powder dry.

And from your favourite MP today:
I would be proud to serve under either should they become Prime Minister – I know and have worked with both Liz and Rishi and have a great deal of respect for each of them. However, for me, there was one person from the very beginning who I know to be one of the most decent people in parliament, and who has an unparalleled ability to lead our country. That person is Rishi Sunak.
This is the very same whom dear Liz invited to dinner a couple of months back. Sajid stuck the knife in then Brutus did too. Decent?

Both deeply unimpressive but I disagree with Gareth.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6339 Post by OFSO » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:47 am

Does any other spouse here fall into a rage when their SO expects them as a matter of course to fall in with their, or their family, or their friends, plans? Example: everyone knows I don't eat a meal after seven p.m. Yet invitations are happily accepted for meals at the Spanish time of nine pm. Result: sleepless night, reflux, palpitations, bad next day. And if I dare to say, it's too late for me.... Or Covid. We are making a vital journey next week. I suggested it would be a Good Thing to avoid crowded situations, parties, etc, before we leave. I'm put straight into defensive spoilsport mode.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6340 Post by TheGreenAnger » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:55 am

OFSO wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:47 am
Does any other spouse here fall into a rage when their SO expects them as a matter of course to fall in with their, or their family, or their friends, plans? Example: everyone knows I don't eat a meal after seven p.m. Yet invitations are happily accepted for meals at the Spanish time of nine pm. Result: sleepless night, reflux, palpitations, bad next day. And if I dare to say, it's too late for me.... Or Covid. We are making a vital journey next week. I suggested it would be a Good Thing to avoid crowded situations, parties, etc, before we leave. I'm put straight into defensive spoilsport mode.
"Love is an ideal thing, marriage a real thing." - Goethe
=)) ;)))
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.