Rant of the Day v2.

General Chit Chat
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#6181 Post by OFSO » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:28 am

Not acceptable. Must be translated by a court-certified translator, stamped etc. Probably on special paper. Keen on tax dodgers here, need to have proof if you haven't paid here you have paid it there. The joke is they are translating screen shots I took. They could be (but aren't) bogus, but the act of translating them into Castilliano and stamping them "Court Certified" renders them authentic.

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#6182 Post by k3k3 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:04 am

Last month I had to phone the Passport Office, I was on hold and transferred from one person to another for almost three hours. The call to 0300 330 0901 cost me £25.96!

Whinge sent to MP.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6183 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:20 pm

Patio thermometer registering 105oF in the shade.
A/C unit registering 110oF.
WX station shows 114oF.
I don't know which is worse...The feeling of the heat striking you the instant that you go out or the thought of the A/C running 24/7 with attendant electric bill. X(
Set point on thermostat set at 80oF with ceiling fans running on high.
Overnight lows down to the mid 80s. :((

PP

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6184 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:06 am

OFSO, it is the translation that is certified as authentic - not the text

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6185 Post by Hydromet » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:00 am

Just did a job for a state government agency. As I don't have an Australian Business Number (ABN) because I don't have enough turnover these days and my work is classed as a hobby. This means that I can't claim a credit for GST (like VAT) paid on my materials. However, this as OK, as I also don't have to include GST in my invoice to the client, meaning I keep the lot. In the past, a statement on the invoice to this effect, including the reasons, has been acceptable.
Now, however, the Federal government, requires that I use the form they provide. It's always been available, but now they insist that it be used. It contains exactly the same information as was on the invoice, and is just another piece of paper to be kept by the client.
It's only a minor embuggerance for me, but it's an embuggerance none the less.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6186 Post by OFSO » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:24 am

RiS, yes, very true, but human nature being what it is and desk people rarely speaking English (or admitting to it) means the originals are hardly ever consulted.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6187 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:36 pm

I am sick and tired of seeing immigrants to jump the gates at the metro stations and avoid paying the fare and breaking the law in general. Not that locals don't break the law but we don't need more problematic individuals.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6188 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:02 pm

More about my tendency towards procrastination than anything else.
Cowboy Junkies are playing two shows at The Musical Instrument Museum next month. :-bd
It was already marked on my calendar but ticket not purchased (I'm not good at long range planning [-X ).
Went to the MIM website yesterday only to find out that both performances are sold out. ~X( :((

PP

Edit to add:
The venue is fairly intimate with good acoustics, as you would expect.
I have been to two concerts there, Preservation Hall Jazz Band and Over The Rhine.
Both good shows.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6189 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:11 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:02 pm
More about my tendency towards procrastination than anything else.
Cowboy Junkies are playing two shows at The Musical Instrument Museum next month. :-bd
It was already marked on my calendar but ticket not purchased (I'm not good at long range planning [-X ).
Went to the MIM website yesterday only to find out that both performances are sold out. ~X( :((

PP

Edit to add:
The venue is fairly intimate with good acoustics, as you would expect.
I have been to two concerts there, Preservation Hall Jazz Band and Over The Rhine.
Both good shows.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6190 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:45 pm

Ordered some M10 penny washers and M10 spring washers. The washers fit an M10 bolt as expected but the spring washers are too tight, being exactly the same internal hole measurement as the bolt diameter. Both supplied by the same company. Illogical!!
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6191 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:01 pm

It is very HOT here. X( ~X(
Dogs and cats sheading so much that dust bunnies have evolved into dust yaks. :-o :(( =))

PP

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6192 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:17 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:45 pm
Ordered some M10 penny washers and M10 spring washers. The washers fit an M10 bolt as expected but the spring washers are too tight, being exactly the same internal hole measurement as the bolt diameter. Both supplied by the same company. Illogical!!
Can the spring washers screw on?

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6193 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:23 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:45 pm
Well stocked hardware store here carry both standard and metric fasteners.
If your hardware stores carry both would the nearest larger standard washer work?

PP

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6194 Post by 4mastacker » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:18 pm

Decided to leave the car at home and use the bus to visit senior daughter's house.

Sat upstairs at the front and hot air was belting out of the louvres in front of me. When the bus made a convenient stop, I asked the driver if he could turn the heating off and get some cold air blowing instead - today was a bit hot!! He said he had no way of adjusting the environmental controls as they were fully automatic and controlled by the bus's "brain". I don't think he appreciated my "That's utter ********ox".

Fer cryin out loud, what kind of idiocy prevents a driver of a bus operating the various controls. Madness!!
It's always my fault - SWMBO

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6195 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:30 pm

Lack of instruction and training/familiarisation with the controls - maybe due to absence of driver's interest.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6196 Post by llondel » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:39 pm

4mastacker wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:18 pm
Decided to leave the car at home and use the bus to visit senior daughter's house.

Sat upstairs at the front and hot air was belting out of the louvres in front of me. When the bus made a convenient stop, I asked the driver if he could turn the heating off and get some cold air blowing instead - today was a bit hot!! He said he had no way of adjusting the environmental controls as they were fully automatic and controlled by the bus's "brain". I don't think he appreciated my "That's utter ********ox".

Fer cryin out loud, what kind of idiocy prevents a driver of a bus operating the various controls. Madness!!
Isn't that like the ground-based version of an Airbus? Doesn't matter how you waggle the stick, it's going to do its own thing anyway due to the automation.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6197 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:03 pm

I have found (via conversations with bus drivers) that some are not 'enthusiasts' and have no mechanical knowledge about vehicle matters.

I once 'advised' a driver who had a blowout of one tyre of a rear pair as he admitted that he had zero understanding as to whether it was safe to move his unladen bus off the highway.

I also had a conversation about buses in Hong Kong and the driver showed zero interest in the subject - he said that he didn't have any affinity beyond driving to schedule.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6198 Post by 4mastacker » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:38 pm

I've launched off a complaint to Stagecoach. If someone doesn't know the controls of their vehicle, they shouldn't be driving it.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6199 Post by Boac » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:23 pm

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6200 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:25 pm

Just got next month's cable/internet bill.
It is going up yet again. Last price increase was ~6 months ago. X(
Now paying over $200 for cable/internet package.
I have finally decided to cut the cable. I was able to finally get 5G home internet from my mobile provider even though they are trying to limit new users due to capacity (they claim). #:-S
I have Netflix through my mobile service, Apple +, and Paramount + on a one year free trial through same. I just need a streaming service for TV such as news and sports.
YouTube TV and Sling are being considered. Neither has all of what I would like.
Hopefully, between the internet access and subscription fees, I will be able to trim ~30% from my former bill.
Any suggestions? :-?

PP