Rant of the Day v2.

General Chit Chat
G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#4821 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:43 pm

AIUI, 'KEEP CLEAR' markings outside schools ARE enforceable.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4822 Post by 4mastacker » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:20 pm

G-C, it would appear they are not enforceable - at least here in Lincolnshire.

I passed LCC's comments to my local district and county councillors and, to put it mildly, they were stunned at the Highways Department's reply. They all believed that School Safety Zones are enforceable. One councillor has already submitted the application for a TRO and another is going to take the Highways Department and the County Councillor responsible for roads to task for keeping schtum - they, and other councillors have been getting grief over the years from people about the parking outside schools and I know the problem at my local school has been raised time and time again by the school, the parish council and the district council. I suspect the local plod dealing with the problem at other schools is not going to be too impressed either when she finds out.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4823 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:43 pm

No names, but Richard Davies, recently I successful applicant for the constituency is renowned for not replying to emails appears to be a master of inactivity. I have told him how the department is inefficient but nothing has improved despite new procedures supposedly being introduced with a new contractor.
As a parish council we were asked to rubber stamp an order. It is necessary as both District and Parish have a veto. We declined which means they have to go to court. No action has been taken, nor do I think it will.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4824 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:18 pm

Last year we had a pair of blackbirds nesting in our bay tree and raising 3 broods. This year it's a pair of flying rats. They have been eyeing it for 4 days and started building in earnest. I disturbed them and removed the first twig.
Few minutes ago I saw the male fly in with another. I scared him off and saw they had already started the lattice structure.
Interesting to see how long they persist.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4825 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:38 pm

Wanking adjuster taking an apparent 4 day weekend after telling me on initial call that they are all working 10 hour days with no time off due to all of the problems in Texas due to freeze and flooding. ~X( X(
Have to consul with them before unleashing plumber on problem. ~X(
On a slightly positive note: RO storage tank sourced and replaced. Two trips to stores to find replacement shut-off valve found to be defective. Also acquired bits and pieces of PVC to repair break in irrigation line. :-bd
Still have to replace backwash valve on pool filter and make repairs to evap. cooler supply line.
Water inside pipes good, outside pipes, not so good. Fliegs and Bob can concur.

PP

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#4826 Post by Smeagol » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:31 pm

In contrast to PHXP's problems and lack of action from all concerned with their rectification, I had a 'plumbing' problem on Sunday which was dealt with swiftly and expediently. Had a blockage in the soil pipe from our en-suite bathroom causing things to back-up. Had experienced a similar partial blockage some months ago caused by the build-up of scale on the internal surfaces breaking away and managed to clear it then. All personal attempts at clearance, plunger, snake and drain rods from the adjacent manhole outside all failed this time so was forced to call professional drain clearance operatives.
Phoned at about 9:30 am on Monday morning and was told they were in a neighbouring town all day but would be with me late afternoon. True to their word they arrived around 5:00 pm, carried out a quick camera survey with an endoscope which identified what I thought, scale partially blocking the pipe. Next came the high pressure jetting tool and that combined with a few flushes of the cistern and all the scale was cleared. The was, however, a 'mystery item' that appeared (NO! not what you are thinking!), a 'wet wipe' of some sort. The mystery is where it came from. Mrs S and I have never used these things and there are none in the house and no-one else uses our bathroom. We do have a cleaner but she uses the equipment we supply so no wet wipes there. A mystery indeed.
We hates Bagginses!

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#4827 Post by Smeagol » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:35 pm

Smeagol wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:31 pm
In contrast to PHXP's problems and lack of action from all concerned with their rectification, I had a 'plumbing' problem on Sunday which was dealt with swiftly and expediently, so a positive rant from me
Had a blockage in the soil pipe from our first floor en-suite bathroom causing things to back-up. Had experienced a similar partial blockage some months ago caused by the build-up of scale on the internal surfaces breaking away and managed to clear it then. All personal attempts at clearance, plunger, snake and drain rods from the adjacent manhole outside all failed this time so was forced to call professional drain clearance operatives.
Phoned at about 9:30 am on Monday morning and was told they were in a neighbouring town all day but would be with me late afternoon. True to their word they arrived around 5:00 pm, carried out a quick camera survey with an endoscope which identified what I thought, scale partially blocking the pipe. Next came the high pressure jetting tool and that combined with a few flushes of the cistern and all the scale was cleared. Total time taken about one and a half hours and resulted in a charge of £95. A very reasonable cost for good service and a satisfactory result.
The was, however, a 'mystery item' that appeared (NO! not what you are thinking!), a 'wet wipe' of some sort. The mystery is where it came from. Mrs S and I have never used these things and there are none in the house and no-one else uses our bathroom. We do have a cleaner but she uses the equipment we supply so no wet wipes there. A mystery indeed.
We hates Bagginses!

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#4828 Post by Smeagol » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:36 pm

Not sure what happened there, just made an edit or so I thought.
We hates Bagginses!

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4829 Post by 4mastacker » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:00 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:43 pm
No names, but Richard Davies, recently I successful applicant for the constituency is renowned for not replying to emails appears to be a master of inactivity. .............
That man is a waste of space and occupies a post that could be disposed of without any detrimental effect on the county. Utterly, utterly useless. The county councillor who has taken up the cudgel of the school safety zone won't let go of the issue until it is resolved. She has got quite a reputation for getting things sorted.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4830 Post by OFSO » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:49 pm

Silly sods here are replacing sodium street lighting with LED. Yes, manpower costs are less regarding changing bulbs (although I've never seen a sodium bulb being changed) but wait until they have to knock spider's webs off every lamp once a week. And we don't get heavy snow every winter, but when we do the horizontal cool LED fittings are going to be catching a lot compared to the spherical sodium lamps.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4831 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:26 pm

4ma, not Jackie?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4832 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:27 pm

OFSO, that can also cast 'black' light, a very stra3 appearance.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4833 Post by 4mastacker » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:46 am

PN. Linda W.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4834 Post by llondel » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:50 am

OFSO wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:49 pm
Silly sods here are replacing sodium street lighting with LED. Yes, manpower costs are less regarding changing bulbs (although I've never seen a sodium bulb being changed) but wait until they have to knock spider's webs off every lamp once a week. And we don't get heavy snow every winter, but when we do the horizontal cool LED fittings are going to be catching a lot compared to the spherical sodium lamps.
I've seen them being replaced, I used to report them when I lived near Cambridge. Just driving around my normal routes, I'd note those that were on during the day and those that weren't on at night, and email the council's reporting line. Ended up on fairly friendly terms with the people at the other end of the email, simply because we corresponded a lot.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4835 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:33 am

4ma, I don't know her but I might try and grab her😊

We have another in the club (no not that Club TGG) and one of the workers.

I don't know if we will be able to give you your usual bung this year though.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4836 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:08 pm

Waiting for plumber to begin repairs on leaking hot water line in wall. He is just going to cut and cap it and see what other fixtures are affected (bathtub, shower, and two sinks). :-?
Insurance adjuster call day before yesterday and said claim was denied. ~X( X( He said remediation company found no indication of water damage. [-X My contact at the remediation company refutes that and says he will submit proof to insurance company and copy me as well.
I believe that I have some additional ammo to use against the adjuster but will keep my powder dry (hopefully) until I get the proof submitted. :-ss

PP

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4837 Post by OFSO » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:01 am

For as long as I can remember, I've watched Formula One qualifying and the race for free live on RTL TV. Went looking for program times yesterday and discovered RTL have not renewed their contract, reason being there's no longer much interest in Germany. It's become very much a minority 'sport' with only pay-to-view channels transmitting it.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4838 Post by Wodrick » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:31 am

No doubt interest will be revived if the boy cobbler do good. 😉

My ISP gives me the excellent SKY coverage in the TV package.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4839 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:54 pm

Part rant, part not. As my Audi A6 is almost five years old and out of the 3 year warranty I use an excellent local garage for servicing rather than pay the outrageous prices at the Audi dealer. I recently noticed two very small unbroken raised areas of paint, obviously with corrosion underneath, on each of the upper edge sides of the tailgate under the rear window. I took it to the Audi paint shop to see if Audi UK would make a goodwill gesture and cover the cost. The paintwork is only covered for defects for 3 years, 12 years for corrosion from within, and my corrosion was deemed a paintwork defect and out of warranty.

The good news is yes, Audi UK would cover the cost including a whole panel respray - estimated to be £600. The bad news was that as I hadn't had a service at an Audi dealer in the last two years then that would have to take place before they would pay for it. The quote today for an interim service, not a full one, was £425. :-o As I had the car serviced last August at my local garage, and due to lockdowns etc I've only done 645 miles since then, it doesn't make sense to service it again.

I can maybe see Audi UK's point. So many owners abandon Audi dealer servicing once the car is past its 3 year warranty it must be difficult to pay for the the majestic buildings they erect for the comfort of the dealer staff. So it's off to my trusted bodyshop repairer in his run down shed in the middle of nowhere. Until I see him I'm guessing he'll do the job for around £250.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4840 Post by OFSO » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:02 pm

Two council workers in protective gear (!) just walked part our house on the mountain with electric leaf blowers, one on each side of the road. Blowing. As it's windy, there are no leaves. Actually the pine tree aren't dropping any needles right now. And in spring? But they are pretending there are. What a waste of money. I bet the electric (?) wagon comes past next to collect all the leaves they don't blow...