Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#3281 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:20 am

G CPTN, two solutions, don't drink a diuretic after 6 pm, go to bed later. 😁

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3282 Post by OFSO » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:42 am

Mrs OFSOs lungs full of fluid so popped in to see Frau Helga at the Herr Doktors to get a chit for some salbutamol. Incredibly common medicine used for asthma sufferers. Only not to dimwit at pharmacy, young, beautiful, thick, who is slow at her best and useless at her worst. Gets out inhalers. No, I want nebuliser size doses as on the prescription. Fires up computer, stands looking at it in amazement for five minutes. Other assistant comes to help, young, good-looking, equally witless. She doesn't know what salbutamol is, phones Helga, hands me phone, Helga says forget that pharmacy, (implied: the staff are idiots) come to one nearest me. Do so, all on order for tonight.

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#3283 Post by k3k3 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:07 pm

Which country are you in today? Your travels leave me in a whirl.

When I was travelling a lot with work, hopping from one place to another without going home in between, I once woke up in a hotel room not knowing where I was, I had to look at the evacuation notice on the back of the door to see which language it was written in, Italian! And then I remembered.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3284 Post by OFSO » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:16 pm

This is Spain but for painfully obvious reasons if you want a good dentist or doctor, one goes to a German or a German-trained professional. Although my eye surgeon is Maghreb and first rate.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3285 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:13 pm

.........without going home in between, I once woke up in a hotel room not knowing where I was,
Not uncommon. Nor could I often remember my current room number, used to ask for the key to the room number of the previous hotel.

Once arrived at a hotel during the wee small hours, and we were allocated 4 rooms just vacated by the outgoing crew, say 437,439,441,443. for instance. I was given the first, 437. Walking down the corridor all the doors of our rooms had been left open by the servicing staff, so passing the first open door the F/Eng. said " Goodnight skipper, that's your room, see you for breakfast". Later in the morning I was awakened by the Flt/Eng. complaining that my wife had awakened him a couple of times, what was going on ?
I rang my wife and she asked what room number I was in, dunno, I replied, I'll look at my key. 437, I told her, yes, she said, that's what the operator told me, but they must have the wires crossed then, better tell them. I did. Going out to breakfast I closed the door behind me and saw the room number - 443 ! Not needing the key to open the door the F/Eng had just assumed that the first room was mine, not his. Neither of us had checked on entering. Good job it hadn't happened with a female crew member - my wife would never have believed me !

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3286 Post by Boac » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:18 pm

G-CPTN wrote:I usually wake during the night needing to pee. This is the earliest I've had to pee.
I'm fortunate - I go every morning regularly at 0700.

Trouble is I don't get up until 0715.

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3287 Post by ricardian » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:38 pm

Capetonian wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:37 am
A few years ago my email provider, whom I won't name but Bloody Tossers is a clue, started blocking all emails coming from .co.za domain names or ZA IP addresses. They strenuously denied this and the call centre went through the rigmarole of :
"I must be asking you to check that your computer is switched on ...... there must be a fault in your settings ......etc."
Even when I submitted proof showing the reject messages that senders had got :
"receiver's domain btinternet.com has rejected your email to ......... due to policy." they denied it.
I told them that as a result of this I had suffered considerable inconvenience, not just loss of personal correspondence but also loss of a work contract, failure to receive e-tickets, bank statements, etc.
They offered me £5.
Eventually they admitted to, and solved, the problem.
After the BT helpdesk had lied to me umpteen times I switched to SSE who charged half as much as BT, provided the same download speed AND their helpdesk was in Portsmouth.
Among the lies BT told were:
"The engineers are working in your exchange right now" - the Openreach vans have to travel across on the ferry and there were none on that day.
"An engineer will be at your door at 8am tomorrow" - this was at 6pm and the Openreach van would have to book on a ferry which wouldn't arrive until 10am.
A friend who lives only a few hundred yards from the island's exchange was given the old story "The engineers are working in your exchange right now" to which he replied "No they aren't, I can see the exchange from my kitchen window!"
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3288 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:58 am

I have a rant and an anti-rant. I took the bus to get at an electricity suppliers store to pay the monthly bill - a twenty minute ride which proved fruitless since their system was down. Now I either have to use their site or visit again.

An anti-rant few weeks ago there was a service interruption with the mobile provider - nothing very inconvenient. Yesterday we were offered 1000 minutes of national calls and 10GB of date for a week.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3289 Post by OFSO » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:38 am

Testing the new smart meter is a slightly complex procedure since I need three calibrated loads, as this house, like most of the hillside villas, has three phase connected. Different parts of the house are on different phases. Of course this enables the provider, Endesa, to really foul things up when one phase fails and the others don't, or two out of three go down. And no matter what tests one does, Endesa is never wrong....

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#3290 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:27 pm

Blue Star Ferries (Greece) have only just issued their schedule for 2020. We arrive Paska (Greek Easter) weekend. Tried to book today no cabins, all full. I asked them to reserve us a cabin a month ago but they said not until the schedule is published. We all knew what it would be and I am sure local agents have been booking them up. The ship will be heaving and arrives at 03.00 after we have been travelling for two days. We will be dead. Apparently there are limited cabins the following day but that means a night in Athens and arriving at the port at the other end of the island at 03.00. Told them to go for that plan. We will have to get someone to pick us up. No way I am driving that road at night knackered.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3291 Post by Rwy in Sight » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:30 pm

Don't you have a place to stay by the port?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#3292 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:14 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:30 pm
Don't you have a place to stay by the port?
Loads of places but for three hours?

Anyway new plan now. Land ATH and fly straight to Paros. Night in Paros and grab the ship Paros to Amorgos following night with cabin. Sorry RiS will not see you this time through ATH. Not sure of return plans. Again shipping schedule not published yet.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3293 Post by ian16th » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:38 pm

Ex A, What gave you the inclination/desire to visit Amorgos the 1st time?

Was it recommended? Did you read about it? Or whatever?
Cynicism improves with age

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3294 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:54 pm

Any thoughts on tgr Covid 19 outbreaks?

Personally i am of age where I am vulnerable, but while planning for the worst I am hoping for the best. We have a cruise booked and paid for in 8 weeks time. Until a couple of days ago i was happy to go. Now, with an
outbreak in Barcelona and in northern Italy I am not so sure. Losing out money is less distressing than 2x14 days isolation. I will suck it and see.

Mrs PN OTOH even wanted to cancel our hotel break this week near Bournemouth because of the outbreaks in Brighton.

She wants to cancel our September cruise as the virus will kick off again next winter.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3295 Post by llondel » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:13 pm

I see the travel insurance industry is saying they're not going to pay out unless the government changes its from advice not to go places to "Do Not Go!"

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3296 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:24 pm

Wonderful.

However our cruise company has been proactive for its Asian cruises so we shall see.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3297 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:43 pm

Overheard a local woman today stating that she still intends to go to Tenerife next week.
That's all we need is for her to come back and spread the virus in our village community (she lives in the village square).

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3298 Post by OFSO » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:57 pm

It's not the virus you have to fear but the hysteria surrounding it.

Speaking from (current) experience !

SO2% good, temperature normal, peak flow excellent - but feel like sh*t. Can't even work up enthusiasms for watching old episodes of 'Baywatch'.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3299 Post by Alisoncc » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:12 pm

OFSO wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:57 pm
Can't even work up enthusiasms for watching old episodes of 'Baywatch'.
Is that supposed to be good or bad? :-h
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3300 Post by Boac » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:19 pm

There was only one (two?) reason/s Baywatch used to be popular viewing in t'Occifers' Mess.